Poweramp v3 beta-preview-build-790 - Not yet feature-complete, read first post before commenting

maxmp

Hi Guys!

I just wanted to share my experience with the new 790 beta built, even though I am pretty sure the dev wont read it most likely:

- the new UI looks very good, probably the best music player UI I've seen, but it is unfortunately less practival then it was, expecially the "track line" (where you can skip), I also don't like that the folder is not separated at the bottom like it was in the prevous versions. 

- Hi-Res audio doesnt work on S7 Android 7.0 (Exynos) - it is also dangerous to try using.  

- I also almost lost my ears (and headphone), because when you turn up Hi-Res for some reason it is automatically turn up the volume to the maximum and nothing but noise come out of it. So be aware! If you have low quality headphones it might kill it.

- folder view doesnt work, the app freezes whenever I tried to enter. It is a shame, because I use it 95% of time to browse my music. 

- It failed to use my DAC (Dragonfly) as Hi-Res audio, whenever I click on it Poweramp crashes. 

So to sum it up, the new Poweramp beta looks better, but has less funcion, less pratical, unstable, Hi-Res and other functions doesnt work like folder view and has some questionable UI changing decision. Do not update yet! 

It's a shame, because I was expected it to be a lot better and I know it will take months, even years to get a stable new Poweramp that I would use again to replace my current player. 

(Sent from Galaxy S7 Edge 7.0 Superman-ROM)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2018. 04. 30. at 7:00 AM, maxmp said:

If you can, dump adb log cat somewhere here please. I have full spectrum of Samsung devices - and develop mostly on them - but unfortunately, mostly on Exynos chipsets (Intl., not US variants).

You develop on Exynos Samsung devices? Yet Hi-Res doesnt work on my S7 Edge Exynos, nor with external DAC nor with internal. Only noise came out with the device with full volume - I almost lost my hearing :D

The other thing is, folder view and every other like "Artis, Genre, Albums" doesnt work on my S7. Only the "All Songs" browser. 

I really  like the new UI though it it less practical then it was. :) 

Hello andre there are some important point, i think so, when you press for see the detail of music it appear lyrics, details of song, add to playlist but, the button from share music with social network or apps for share not exist, it will be some for add in the next update? For the others also last added not do nothing top rating also nothing i think it's small bugs but important jeje very nice the update interface i'm so happy with your job and the job of max thank you!!

44 minutes ago, RaidenHUN said:

Hi Guys!

I just wanted to share my experience with the new 790 beta built, even though I am pretty sure the dev wont read it most likely:

- the new UI looks very good, probably the best music player UI I've seen, but it is unfortunately less practival then it was, expecially the "track line" (where you can skip), I also don't like that the folder is not separated at the bottom like it was in the prevous versions. 

- Hi-Res audio doesnt work on S7 Android 7.0 (Exynos) - it is also dangerous to try using.  

- I also almost lost my ears (and headphone), because when you turn up Hi-Res for some reason it is automatically turn up the volume to the maximum and nothing but noise come out of it. So be aware! If you have low quality headphones it might kill it.

- folder view doesnt work, the app freezes whenever I tried to enter. It is a shame, because I use it 95% of time to browse my music. 

- It failed to use my DAC (Dragonfly) as Hi-Res audio, whenever I click on it Poweramp crashes. 

So to sum it up, the new Poweramp beta looks better, but has less funcion, less pratical, unstable, Hi-Res and other functions doesnt work like folder view and has some questionable UI changing decision. Do not update yet! 

It's a shame, because I was expected it to be a lot better and I know it will take months, even years to get a stable new Poweramp that I would use again to replace my current player. 

(Sent from Galaxy S7 Edge 7.0 Superman-ROM)

The update will mostly be in may .. and it is already reported that hi res isnt fully working especially on the s7

New interface seems cool, I think you should add an option for rounded/square corner art, and remove/change the title display over the artwork.

Cue parsing is gone/buggy. My test album showed up on first startup, but without artwork, then after rescan it causes craziness, no artwork/missing track titles (tracks with various numbers ex. 178640) and tracks jumping around with odd timing. Cue albums can only be played as whole using the "Show cue disc image files" option. Looking forward to checking out future updates.

4 minutes ago, kutturkuttur said:

Thanks for the update Max. 

It currently instantly crashes on my Pixel 1. Not XL. I'm not sure what I can do to fix it, but just letting you know. 

Looking forward to the stable releases!

Get a log and send it to Max.

`adb logcat >log.txt`

3 hours ago, andrewilley said:

All Songs, Folders, and Album views all work. Should be plenty to test normal playback with. Other stuff like Artists, Genres, Playlists, and the other more esoteric lists will be returning soon, as you know.

Andre

Hi Andre... 

Just want to know how can I check whether hi res is working on my device or not..? Plz confirm me about the same... Awaiting for ur genuibe reply

55 minutes ago, koolicecream said:

Hi Andre... 

Just want to know how can I check whether hi res is working on my device or not..? Plz confirm me about the same... Awaiting for ur genuibe reply

I heard that there is a PROGRAM for it and it is called AUDIO WIZARD

Thanks Max,
was awaiting since long for these updates,
FYI..
So far so good running on my..

Nexus 6P | Stock Android 8.1.0 | Poweramp beta-preview-build-790-uni

Changing "Settings Theme" to "dark" turns the navigation buttons and notification icons to dark too resulting in completely dark ribbons,

Hope everything gets fixed, and the final build comes out without any delay

Please include a dark skin to the final build too.

thanks again. :)

it's a pleasant surprise, the design is... peculiar, I give it that, but it works and the animation is butter smooth, really like it. There are 2 gripes for me though, hoping to see in the next beta or at least in the stable version: 1. dark theme (this probably WILL happen though), and 2. option to customize track list display (like showing/not showing album thumbnail, artist - album, or just artist, etc.)

Hi Max,

Like the new update. Works very well on my Galaxy S8 Active. Would like to be able to edit album and song metadata from the album list in the library. I also don't like the album name and artist overlaying the album art, it makes the UI look very cluttered. Hopefully that can be changed with future updates. 

Thank you for an excellent product

Brian

2 hours ago, djdarko said:

New interface seems cool, I think you should add an option for rounded/square corner art, and remove/change the title display over the artwork.

Cue parsing is gone/buggy. My test album showed up on first startup, but without artwork, then after rescan it causes craziness, no artwork/missing track titles (tracks with various numbers ex. 178640) and tracks jumping around with odd timing. Cue albums can only be played as whole using the "Show cue disc image files" option. Looking forward to checking out future updates.

+1 for cue parsing dont even show in my foder list. Not working on my 3 devices. Nexus 6, 5 and 7. All with Android N.

The rest for me like basic audio Hres playig is fine. So for me is fine for an alpha.

Lets hope now Max release updates more often now?

Edit. Thanks for the tip: "show cue disc image files" it solved for now...

6 hours ago, misterjboogie said:

So OpenGL HD works on nougat 7.0 not just 8.0? Sounds nice! Can anyone confirm? I have an LG Stylo 2 Plus MetroPCS variant...not sure if hi res is actually working or not it shows in the info button output it sampling and decoding at that, but since I don't have "Audio Wizard" I'm not sure. Anyway it does seem to sound better than before on OpenGL HD and hires(if that is actually outputting hires on my device) nonethe less aside from the already mentioned sometimes force closing issues lower volume output on hires and no next track or previous track buttons currently present in the player UI plus no artist function delete queue or playlist options working in this beta. I'm pleased! I would like though integrated lyrics support in the player like media monkey has. But this player sounds the best! 

I wish I knew which bit was a question... OpenGL HD is needed for 8.0+, otherwise you can try the other HD output method.

Andre

3 hours ago, PeterFalk said:

Andre, what are you talking about? When accessing folders, the player just falls down with an error. Access is only to songs and albums.

If you a reporting that you've found a bug in Folders category playback, could you post some details as it works fine on my test device (I rarely use any other modes to be honest).

Some people who were experiencing random app crashes have said their issues have been resolved by clearing app cache and data, or doing a full clean install rather than an overwrite-in-place install, so might be worth giving that a try.

Andre

Archived