Poweramp builds 899-905

maxmp

5 hours ago, Someguyonline said:

I am not sure what you mean by "better".

OpenSL ES is an audio API added way back in android 2.3 but it was significantly improved in android 4.3.

While AAudio is a pure native API designed for high performance applications (that require low latency). It was added in Android 8. It's great for high performance applications but for media players, it is almost the same as AudioTrack (as Max said).

The latter API allows Float32 output format and high sample rate (Hi-res) which OpenSL ES lacks in Poweramp.

Ah I see,  thanks for the explanation

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ibrahimbo101 said:

openSL ES in galaxy s10 (SM-G973F) via 3.5mm jack has 120ms latency while AAudio have 321ms while it shouldn't be near direct based in docs?

https://developer.android.com/ndk/guides/audio/aaudio/aaudio

There are three modes.

Default, power saving, and low latency. I read on an article that it's possible to reach as low as 20 ms latency but it would use small buffer size and more resources, consuming more power in the process.

Power saving mode trades off latency for more power by using big buffers and etc.

As Max said, low latency isn't necessarily needed for media players, they are for high performance apps (sound interactive apps, games, etc). I am not entirely sure which mode it is using, probably the power saving mode. But I would rather save power than latency 🙂. Though, AAudio output in Poweramp is still in beta stage and I am expecting some improvements. AAudio API is supported since Android O but on Poweramp it is supported for Android Q+ devices. It should be possible to enable this on Android 8 devices I think. ~~And would be nice to be able set specific modes~~

39 minutes ago, Someguyonline said:

As Max said, low latency isn't necessarily needed for media players

I've never understood people worrying about latency in a domestic music player. Sure if you are creating multiple synchronised streams of music in a recording studio, or handling live audio, or gameplay or movie soundtracks which need to match exactly with vision timing, then it's vital. But for casual listening to music, what does it matter if the internal code reading the bytes off your storage takes a few extra milliseconds to get the noise to your ears? As long as that latency doesn't vary over time, or between channels, of course.

Andre

With the 899 build, I am having an issue where it's trying to rescan every time I start it. Actually, even after a rescan completes, it appears to immediately start rescanning again. I have a 1 TB microSD card with 44,000 songs. It's freezing a lot, but I think that's because of the rescans. Is there a new setting that I need to toggle off to stop this, or should I sideload the 893 build for the time being?

Edit: Is it possible to install 893 when 899 is already installed? It keeps saying "App not installed." Do I have to uninstall 899 first? If so, will I lose my playlists?

Thanks for all your hard work on this!

15 minutes ago, trollburner044 said:

Is it possible to install 893 when 899 is already installed? It keeps saying "App not installed." Do I have to uninstall 899 first? If so, will I lose my playlists?

Uninstall 899 first.

No. But just to be on the safe side, backup your playlists to another folder, say Downloads or in your SD card. Mine's saved in the internal storage with Playlists as folder name. After installing 893, had to select that folder in PA together with Music (SD card).

I'm happy with this update, especially with AAudio, I had some issues at the initial time, deleting of songs took time, no sound after purse and resume with aaudio, font in settings looked bold and unattractive, but after a while everything is fine, my device is Samsung galaxy m30, android 10. One ui. Aaudio sounds good. No duplicate in library. 

On 3/11/2021 at 5:31 AM, invaderzim said:

But on my end Parse CUE Files are disabled.

I did a bit more testing, I don't think it's CUE related at all. I tried some split flac files too, does the same thing.

It seems to only happen in "Album Artist" though, not for "Artist" category.

1 hour ago, Bencherished said:

font in settings looked bold and unattractive

There is a new Bold font option which seems to be set by default. It can be turned off in Settings > Look and Feel > Settings Font.

35 minutes ago, djdarko said:

I did a bit more testing, I don't think it's CUE related at all. I tried some split flac files too, does the same thing.

It seems to only happen in "Album Artist" though, not for "Artist" category.

Yes, there's another thread discussing this, and it doesn't seem to be a CUE issue. Album Artist has the biggest problem generally, but some other categories are showing a similar (but less pronounced) issue for songs with split artists. See https://forum.powerampapp.com/topic/20880-pa-899-showing-multiple-tracks/

Andre

@Azul It works this way: if the current list sorted by the play count, we don't change song play count at all, as obviously changing play count for the list sorted by that count will constantly reorder it (and will stuck on top played song getting the more and more play counts).

1 minute ago, maxmp said:

In this case AC/DC won't match the exception ("AC/DC").

Hmm, can that unique string not be detected and hardcoded as non-splitable, so it does not get parsed at all even if there are other valid parsable elements within the same Artist field? So "AC/DC ; Eagles" or even "AC/DC / Eagles" would parse correctly into two entities - "AC/DC" and "Eagles" - rather than "AC", "DC" and "Eagles". That's how Microsoft apparently work around it anyway.

Andre

37 minutes ago, maxmp said:

if the current list sorted by the play count, we don't change song play count at all, 

I think @Azul was referring to the new threshold value for regarding a song as 'played'. This does not seem to work as expected when you later look in the 'Recently Played' category.

For example, if you start a song playing from the All Songs category, but then pause it after just a few seconds and use >> several times to move on a few more tracks (while still paused) then ALL of those songs will now be shown if you look in the Recently Played list - even though none of them have reached the 'Count as Played' percentage threshold, indeed some of them have not even been played at all.

Andre

9 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I think @Azul was referring to the new threshold value for regarding a song as 'played'. This does not seem to work as expected when you later look in the 'Recently Played' category.

For example, if you start a song playing from the All Songs category, but then pause it after just a few seconds and use >> several times to move on a few more tracks (while still paused) then ALL of those songs will now be shown if you look in the Recently Played list - even though none of them have reached the 'Count as Played' percentage threshold, indeed some of them have not even been played at all.

Andre

that same

After the latest update, there is a frequently occurring bug when I try to swipe back from recently added collections to all songs or other collections. The bug makes the UI freeze with some overlapping buttons as shown in the screenshot. This usually happens when I try to swipe while the player is still scanning the library for new songs. 

Screenshot_20210311_212550_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.jpg

@andrewilley Recently played is based on time of playback, not count. Most Played is based on playback count.

The time of playback == when track started to play (this won't be changed as it's also used for a lot of other functionality where player needs to know track was started).

@andrewilley also I was able to implement some sort of Artist splitting exclusion list, the implementation will be in the next build. Later may be some a bit more user friendly dialog will be added.

device-2021-03-13-102426.png

@maxmp Thanks Max.

Re: Recently Played. Ah, that now makes sense now as an internal database operation. I wonder if if might be worth changing the title of that Category to something like 'Recently Accessed' (or even 'Recently Played/Accessed') as I do agree with @Azul that from a user point of view the term 'Recently Played' does rather imply that at least some of the song has actually been heard, rather than (for example) just skipped past with the >> button while still paused.

Thanks for the whitelist too. I was thinking about it over night, and the simplest method I could think of was to search the raw imported tag for any whitelisted items and extract them first, then parse the remaining string for separator symbols.

Longer term as you said, perhaps the Whitelist editor (and the various Separator Symbols) could use a common interface which displays each of the individual entries in its own small text-bubble, with 'X' to delete, and a '+Add' button for adding new entries. For example:

image.png

Andre

So far the only thing happening here is some occasional random rescans, but they are far less frequent than what's being reported by other users. Also, my AAudio output is fixed at 48kHz, with 16bit, float32 or auto, but I've seen someone else using it at 24-192, why would this happen? Mostly our of curiosity as my hi-res output works fine tho it can only go up to 24bit when it should theoretically go up to 32...

But in here to give a suggestion, it's about the album art. Maybe an option to apply the chosen album art to all the songs of the folder, or an option to prefer the folder image over the embedded one. Sometimes I let pass some albums with low res embedded cover or non square pictures without noticing and if the songs are from different artists, then i know I'll be spending some time to change the album art of every single one of them

Here's a video of the process such an option could prevent

Also so far the issue with 72kHz files seem to be solved, I reverted the skip short tracks option to my previous values and the 72kHz files are still showing fine, so that is probably solved now.

1 hour ago, ScarletNeko said:

Also, my AAudio output is fixed at 48kHz, with 16bit, float32 or auto, but I've seen someone else using it at 24-192, why would this happen?

AAudio output is currently Hi-res capable only on Samsungs and MTK based phones. On other devices, it is similar to OpenSL ES/AudioTrack output (no Hi-res), though Hi-res might work with Bluetooth devices.