Poweramp Build 807 (Release Candidate)

maxmp

6 minutes ago, Mr. Make Believe said:

Hi Max, Thnx for the updates. Maybe my latest testresults can be interesting for you to make gapless playback work better (If it needs fixing since that is the question, let me explain).

I've been testing different files since @mr_space sent me a couple of files that play gapless on his setup. He uses the same phone, some OS, etc. and runs his files with Poweramp from a SD card. The funny thing is, his files play gapless on my phone from SD as well. He uses XLD (mac) to encode, while I use CDEX (Windows). Both use the Lame encoder. The audio info shows that my files and his files are both gapless. Still there seems to be a difference in the files. His files have a lower bitrate, so I re-encoded some of my files in lower bitrate with CDEX to see if that makes a difference but bitrate and filesize doesn't seem to be the issue. So; same setup, same encoder, differnet results. 

Somehow, CDEX seems to fail in making the files truelly gapless. While I find this really strange since it uses the same encoder (LAME, I tried different versions) the fact that mr_space's files did play gapless encouraged me to try different ripping software. So I installed EAC with the latest LAME codec and re-encoded some of my files. And... the magic medicine worked. The newly encoded files ripped straight from CD with EAC using the latest version of LAME are being played gapless with Poweramp, while the files ripped straight from CD with CDEX using the latest version of LAME are not.

Still I hope you can fix this @maxmp with re-adding the "remove silence" function Poweramp used to have. Gapless worked fine with my old files on V2 by increasing the buffer and activating the "remove silence" feature. The "remoce silence" feature isn't avaialble in V3. If this can't be fixed within Poweramp, I'm affrraid I have to re-encode the albums that need gapless playback in my library. With over 1100 albums containing a lot of prog, that's a hell of a job which by all means I don't look forward to.     

@eserim This might be interesting to you too.    

Ta - did you see my edited earlier post?

In fact - as someone else pointed out - first play small gap - second play OK - I thought this may just be reading from a cache - I restarted and cleared cache and all is still OK

OK - I know nothing how things work on this app , but is it possible PA is only reading the gapless tag into the library when it first plays a file?  So a gap on first play, then gapless on subsequent?

Does that make sense at all?

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry double posted - too many tabs open.  Anyway here's some before/after images.  The first image is a track I've not played in PA - the second is the same track as soon as I play it.  Notice the "gapless" tag is now showing

Screenshot_20181022-134444.png

Screenshot_20181022-134502.png

(sorry for the white dots, that's not PA, I have touches show up on the screen and the three finger touch is shortcut for screenshot)

7 minutes ago, eserim said:

Ta - did you see my edited earlier post?

Does that make sense at all?

Yeah, I did read your post. Interesting stuff and i hope @maxmp will look into this and I sure hope that will fix things. I reported on the fact that once the files have been loaded once, during the second play, they play gapless. Every first run, different buffer settings don't change this, the files don't play gapless when played from SD though. 

Still that doesn't change the fact that Poweramp is capable of playing these files gapless, since it does so when the same files are played from the internal memory instead of SD and the fact that using different software results in the songs being played gapless on the first run from SD.

The question is, what's the difference between these files enoded with different sofware, but the same codec and why does Poweramp behaves different when reading from internal memory instead of external memory.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Make Believe said:

Yeah, I did read your post. Interesting stuff and i hope @maxmp will look into this and I sure hope that will fix things. I reported on the fact that once the files have been loaded once, during the second play, they play gapless. Every first run, different buffer settings don't change this, the files don't play gapless when played from SD though. 

Still that doesn't change the fact that Poweramp is capable of playing these files gapless, since it does so when the same files are played from the internal memory instead of SD and the fact that using different software results in the songs being played gapless on the first run from SD.

The question is, what's the difference between these files enoded with different sofware, but the same codec and why does Poweramp behaves different when reading from internal memory instead of external memory.

Maybe on internal the gap is there, but the speed makes it not noticable - we only see it on slower cards, and then only the first time, when the database hasn't got the gapless tag.  After that the engine does whatever it needs to do and it works

On 10/19/2018 at 7:17 PM, maxmp said:

Poweramp-v3-build-802-uni.apk
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.maxmpz.audioplayer

Build 802:
• support for MusicFX on MIUI
• visualization state is saved more frequently
• folders hierarchy shuffle improvements
• hardware menu button expands navbar
• fixed widget color selection on smaller screens

Build 801:
• fixed crash due to the translation bug in Spanish
• fixed notification colorize issue for some devices

Build 800:
• website purchase doesn't require Google services anymore
• bug fixes

What does hardware menu button expands navbar do?

I apologise if this has been already asked or answered previously over here, but are wavpack files working for anyone over here in the 802 release? I've an album in the wavpack format and only the first and the last tracks are showing in the app. This wasn't a problem with the 796 release. Other than that everything else works excellent for me, thanks a lot max for your efforts.

51 minutes ago, maxmp said:

Re: gapless on slow sd cards - this will be definitely polished. PA doesn’t cache anything related to gapless: when track is loaded gapless state can be shown, for the info in lists decoder is not used.

Thnx! looking forward to updates on this! If you need any info, like for example the files that behave differently, let me know!

3 hours ago, Quez said:

Poweramp with new design doesn't have a play option on long press, when the default tap action is set to enqueue leaving me with no way to Play the song other then to enqueue it then go to the queue and play it. This used to be there in the classic Poweramp. Please correct this. 

@Quez, I may be missing something here, but still, why don't you simply tap on a song to play it? What do you need an option in the 'long press menu' for?

Hi, 

When i connect a Bluetooth device, Poweramp loads and plays automatically. On my Wired headphone it doesn't load on lockscreen, only on the homscreen. All audio and headphone setting enabled.

Also, when we're in the folders list, can we make the play button bigger as i put my device in landscape in the dashboard and it's kinda small to click the play in the folder list. I think we can even have the option to hide the control icon in the player view since we can for through songs already or make it transparent in the album cover to change folders etc

On 10/21/2018 at 5:17 PM, maxmp said:

There is no such option. But as it requested frequently it will be added, probably.

I only need to know what exactly do you want to see in place of Album Art? Default image (zigzag)?

I liked this view.

maxresdefault.jpg

Also I would like if there was way to disable this huge picture of the art in folder view as it takes spaces and makes scrolling more tedious

Screenshot_Poweramp_20180430-122142.png

Lastly I am probably the only who wants this feature but it would be so useful if when you queue songs it would so the lenght of the queue and how  much is there time left. I would even willing to pay for it if it doesn't cost a arm and leg.

1 hour ago, Zankes said:

Also I would like if there was way to disable this huge picture of the art in folder view as it takes spaces and makes scrolling more tedious

You can have that now.  Tap the overflow menu and then select "List - Compact" from the "List Options" panel.

8 hours ago, eserim said:

Maybe on internal the gap is there, but the speed makes it not noticable - we only see it on slower cards, and then only the first time, when the database hasn't got the gapless tag.  After that the engine does whatever it needs to do and it works

I can't see how an excuse or reason that micro sd cards could not use gapless like internal can. I am not just going to not use my micro sd card. That makes no sense. Plus, mine is 100mb speed. That is not real slow.

hey @maxmp , i have two minor issues with the latest build(s).

1. since version 799, the background in the main player is entirely black instead of the blurred cover. changing the background settings and changing to the default skin(s) did nothing.

2. since version 802 (i think) the visualization, which i have disabled, turns itself on from time to time, showing nothing but a black screen. this only seems to happen when i keep the screen on, though. screenshot below.

other than that i'm very happy with v3, great work!

Screenshot_20181023-031703.thumb.png.63802743fc7c9359392e1ddf093cd1da.png

running on android 8.0

edit: never mind, both of these issues seemed to have been related to the rom i was using. i switched to a different one and it's all good now! my bad

Please add feature:

Some playlists are more than 100 songs. In situations of long playlists, it would helpful to have the name of the playlist always displayed as you scroll down. 

Please show the name of the playlists as you scroll through its songs. Maybe have an address displayed on the top in a small font.  An example is: Artists > Drake > Thank Me Later

This way you can always see what your selection were. 

Keep up the incredible work Max! Always worth the wait. 

5 hours ago, SynekPablo said:

what exactly is meant by that?

24bit 96/192+kHz

Screenshot_2018-10-22-23-36-18.jpg

What exactly is unclear about that ? The frequency 192 kHz means there are 192000 data points per second transferred from Poweramp to the audio output api. 24bit = 3 byte is the size of each.

Archived