YAPS goes where no other skin has gone before

Hey guys,

I could use some help dialing in my skin again. I was having some nagging minor issues and decided to wipe the slate clean. I did a complete uninstall and reinstall of both Poweramp and YAPS, and so everything was reset completely to defaults. I downloaded the current version of both. After enabling YAPS again and playing around with the settings and turning on DIY layout for landscape view, I was able to get both Portrait and Landscape views on my head unit to where I like things, but a few minor nuisances remain:

1. The spectrum (waveseek?) showing behind the play buttons used to stretch the entire width of the play button area. Even pictures on this page above show this. For whatever reason, mine only stretches between the middle 3 buttons and not all 5 buttons. Is there a way to adjust this?
  2. The elapsed and duration buttons are fully tethered to the waveseek and play buttons, and so the placement of these buttons is now severely limited. The duration button used to be located at the far right of the seekbar, and the elapsed button could be dialed in to either go all the way to the left of the screen or precisely at the left end of the seekbar. As you can see in the screenshot below, this is the absolute best I can dial this in to. It just doesn't look good, and as much as I want this information on the screen I'd rather just disable it because of how it looks. And the interesting thing is that this problem doesn't exist on the Portrait view...I can't adjust the left and right at all, but by default it's spaced perfectly on the sides of the seekbar.
  3. I can't dial in the Navbar at the bottom in Landscape view. If I set the up/down value to 94 it looks exactly as shown in the screenshot below. If I move it down one point to 95, the navbar is half off the screen. By comparison, the same setting in Portrait view works as expected and I was able to perfectly lower it to close that gap.

20240320_231317.jpg.0393f15402b1a65f907accb14a726270.jpg

20240320_230518.jpg.777dec1ef936303a27499861954c0183.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had a little look, and I can't see how to adjust the width of the waveseek bars independently for Landscape and Portrait views. If I change the width, the Portrait version changes but the Landscape does not. Not sure if I missed something though.

Andre

4 hours ago, flyingdutchman said:

@slizzap you could export your skin settings and email them to me.

I just emailed my 3rd party skins settings export to you. As an FYI - My head unit has a resolution of 1024 x 600 when in Landscape view (full screen), and 507 x 600 when in Portrait view (half screen/side by side with another app). This was based on information I gathered for you on a previous thread and I had used your resolution tool to gather that info.

One other problem I should report, so I'll add this as #4:

4. The seekbar cannot be adjusted left/right. In the screenshot above, the left/right setting is set at "0" (or whatever the farthest left setting is, as far as the slider will go to the left). Changing this to any other value does not move or change the size of the seekbar. I was able to work around this problem, as I made some slight adjustments to the other elements to center everything. However, if that allowed me to adjust the positioning or sizing it would have saved me from re-adjusting everything else to compensate.

Thanks.

@slizzap point 1

1. Quote

The spectrum (waveseek?) showing behind the play buttons used to stretch the entire width of the play button area. Even pictures on this page above show this. For whatever reason, mine only stretches between the middle 3 buttons and not all 5 buttons. Is there a way to adjust this?

did you check out the option to set the waveseek width.Maximum is 400dpi but can be increaed if neccessary

30 minutes ago, flyingdutchman said:

@slizzap point 1

1. did you check out the option to set the waveseek width.Maximum is 400dpi but can be increaed if neccessary

I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but I found a "Waveseek Options" section under Fine tune. The first option there is "Waveseekbar width". Is this the setting you're referring to? I played around with this setting but it only adjusts the size of each individual bar within the waveseek bar...so that doesn't apply to this issue. Every setting I tried in this section modified the inside of the waveseek bar, but didn't actually adjust the width or height of the waveseek bar itself. I also don't see any option that has a setting relative to dpi, so I couldn't find one that maxed out at the value you stated.

If I'm not in the right place, please advise where that setting is located.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, flyingdutchman said:

@slizzap when in waveseek options, the top option allows you to set width

image.png.3bb586c0c7ea6ed945fe7f03fd2bb707.png

Per my response above, that setting does not apply to my issue. That setting affects the width of each individual bar within the waveseek bar, making the bars thinner or fatter, but it does not affect the width of the waveseek bar itself.

8 hours ago, andrewilley said:

@slizzap No, tap on the top item. "Resize Waveseek" is a link to a submenu, not just a header description. Had me fooled a while back too, not sure why it needs to be another layer of submenu with just two items in it.

Andre

Ahhh...thanks for clarifying. This wasn't clear to me and I thought that was just the header for the screen. I also agree that should probably just be consolidated onto the same screen rather than a submenu. Perhaps there's even some design element you could use to visually denote and make it easily distinguishable that an item is a submenu, especially since those submenus are often interspersed with individual configuration items rather than all being grouped at the top (kinda like Windows file explorer where folders are always at top and files at the bottom). Just a suggestion.

Anyways...back to the topic. Short answer is that this fixed my problem and created a new one. I have screenshots showing the progression with this setting. 1st screenshot below shows the layout before changes.

20240322_152210.jpg.6c4d579dc8af4dff123a07399991010a.jpg

2nd screenshot shows the configuration page with settings used (Side note: dp values don't match the start and end values at the ends of the scale. You'll see the far right end of the scale is "400dp" despite my setting currently at 450dp" while not maxed out)

20240322_152317.jpg.0628ce9e55c5718288df3b7e3fd7e58c.jpg

3rd screenshot is the end result of these settings. This pushed the waveseek bar and play buttons to the right, and you can see the elapsed and duration bubbles expand and move along with it.

20240322_152325.jpg.556cf5a5ee3a20ce14aec69f6bf8a078.jpg

4th screenshot shows the end result of moving the waveseek and play buttons back to the left and fiddling with the settings until everything is aligned pretty well. Even the elapsed and duration bubbles have expanded out to be more in line with where I would want them to be. So this solved both problems.

20240322_155038.jpg.8ca7249d1505e76c38ad8014010f6ab1.jpg

The downside is that this f***ed up the Portrait view (5th screenshot). Without dedicated Landscape and Portrait view settings for resizing the waveseek bar, it's not possible to dial this in correctly. So I have to revert all these settings so that Portrait view is acceptable again.

20240322_153018.jpg.5f198fcddd8e2e73c1e3540c76c83c15.jpg

Same issue here, Waveseek suddenly was smaller and I also didn't tap the top item "Resize Waveseek" because I thought it's a headline 😁

Otherwise I wouldn't be here now. 

Edited by Squeller

2 minutes ago, Squeller said:

I also didn't tap the top item "Resize Waveseek" because I thought it's a headline

Same here at first, I discovered it was tappable by accident too.

YAPS is supremely configurable, which is what I like about it, but the way things have been added organically over time sometimes leads to menus that can be tricky to navigate - very much like Poweramp itself to be honest. 

Andre

Hey Theo,

I updated YAPS and immediately notice a couple issues:

1) The "Height" setting is missing from the Resize Waveseek -> Portrait options. While I can now adjust the width for the Portrait view, which helps, it doesn't solve my problem with the height of the waveseek blocking the Artist/Track info. Thinking about it, I might prefer to simply disable the waveseek bar when in Portrait view due to space limitations. Is there currently a way to do that in Portrait view only? Might be nice to have the option for both ways, shrink height and disable entirely for portrait view.

20240329_122345.jpg.f6af841eaa1e2e12a6d75028fc32d7ca.jpg

20240329_122410.jpg.e96004907da6f832871e6b412ab64ee6.jpg

2) The update caused my seekbar to shrink both in thickness and size (left to right). I was able to re-adjust the thickness back to what it was, but the size is now maxed out and is maybe 10-15% smaller than it was when you compare against my screenshot from a few posts ago.

20240329_122421.jpg.fc4afbaf7f31045fa73d8d532f1358e4.jpg

Edited by slizzap

Posted (edited)

@slizzap

The "Height" setting is missing from the Resize Waveseek -> Portrait options

there is only 1 height setting which applies to portrait and landscape

Is there currently a way to do that in Portrait view only?

No it is not possible to hide in a single view as it is the same item being displayed within a different layout so whatever you set for one layout, this will be applied in the other too

my seekbar to shrink both in thickness and size 

Added up to 500dp width options for landscape

Added option to set different heights for waveseek portrait/landscape

New release due shortly

Edited by flyingdutchman

2 hours ago, etje268910 said:

is there a guide or manual how to set up yaps Poweramp skin? i am thinking about buying it playstore it kind of look a little bit intimidating to set up for first time users like me 

that's a good idea.   it's so complicated it deserves one.   if i don't use it often i get overwhelmed setting it up again.   

Just wanted to say thanks for adding all the separate portrait and landscape settings. I was able to get everything dialed in to the way I like, both in portrait and landscape views.

The only issue of mine that wasn't resolved is the Navbar issue, but that's so minor I'm not even going to worry about it. I currently have it set to "94" in landscape mode, which has a slight gap between it and the bottom of the screen. If I lower that value to 95, half the navbar is off the screen. So it's making an unusual leap from just 1 point difference. Again, not a big deal and it's fine the way I have it...just wanted to report it in case anyone else sees the same behavior.

Appreciate all the work!

• 2 weeks later...