Jump to content

YAPS goes where no other skin has gone before


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Bigrynz said:

How would I go about exporting the skin settings to you?

Poweramp Settings=>Export Settings/Data. Unless you want to send everything else too, select just 'Third-Party Skins' and tap 'Export'.

Send the resulting file from your device's storage as an email attachment to Theo, or send via DM/etc.

Andre

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I know this has been brought up before, but I don't recall if it was stated whether this could be fixed or not. Is it possible that a setting can be added to fix/adjust this? Any album that has a white cover, the white text for the track/artist/album info gets completely lost. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here. Obviously I'm reminded every time a song plays from an album with a white or extremly bright cover.

20230901_180445.jpg.e7c2eda6f71d6872d1741a8c864dbb3a.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, slizzap said:

Hey guys,

I know this has been brought up before, but I don't recall if it was stated whether this could be fixed or not. Is it possible that a setting can be added to fix/adjust this? Any album that has a white cover, the white text for the track/artist/album info gets completely lost. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here. Obviously I'm reminded every time a song plays from an album with a white or extremly bright cover.

20230901_180445.jpg.e7c2eda6f71d6872d1741a8c864dbb3a.jpg

The only way for the text to show is to set a colour.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, flyingdutchman said:

The only way for the text to show is to set a colour.

Respectfully, that's not actually a solution. In any given music library, the various cover art will ultimately span the spectrum of colors. If you were to set a specific color for the text, you would eventually hit some cover art that matches the color of the text and would produce the same problem.

I found my original post where I provided a suggestion. We had a dialog back and forth, after which you stated that you were looking into setting an opaque cover blur and adding it to the to-do list. The bottom of the 3 pictures posted there shows an old Kenwood unit that does what I'm requesting...just to provide a visual.

 

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You need to use an opaque background element to make any given colour of text show up against any possible background. That's why the default skins use black or white text boxes.

Drop-shadows can help, which could be implemented in a skin, but there is no facility in the Poweramp core app to provide for dynamic colour selection. 

Andre

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand that setting a background element for the text solves this problem, but it just doesn't look good, especially in split-screen mode. I'm not asking for a dynamic color selection. Are there other available options I'm missing that I can test?

Let me show again how this looks on my head unit so that it may help illustrate why it doesn't look good:

20230902_070735.jpg.117db47bc12487a756e4071c9d3c165c.jpg20230902_070808.jpg.26eff4ce2258e75a69f5479d6181d3ce.jpg

 

I'm comparing all of this against a previous Kenwood head unit I had. It applied the exact same logic as far as taking the album cover, applying it as a background, and applying a blur over it...creating a dynamic background. However, it also applied what I'll simply call a "tint" on top of that to prevent this exact problem from occurring. So on a completely white cover art, the entire thing will be blurred, but perhaps tinted 5% so that even an all white cover would be slightly darker so that white text would show over it. I'll grab this from the original post I linked above:

20220908_164635.jpg.90783cd74241b6603e6077d145b33006.jpg.3185e9ee561ff5eb8e6d5fc87d5478b6.jpg

 

Just looking to see if a similar option could be added to support this. It sounded like it was potentially feasible since the response I received was below. So I just wanted to check on this again.

Thanks.

Edited by slizzap
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The blur layer is available in some skins. But currently not in Yaps. The current method is to use the background as mentioned earlier. If you don’t want them to be as obvious try setting it to something like 10%, just enough to be there in light covers but disappear on darker ones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/2/2023 at 8:00 AM, flyingdutchman said:

@slizzap did you try any of the other landscape "car" layouts?

What exactly are the car layouts supposed to bring to the table in regards to this specific issue? Here's a snapshot of what both car modes look like on my head unit using the same song as an example.

20230902_113924.jpg.dbb47c9fb30647fa0281b35efe77baa1.jpg

20230902_113816.jpg.cc495e49b3bb8e6382c755b82c973595.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On my device, album blur seems to be primarily generated by small coloured elements within the white cover, so I never experienced those problems. Even yellow cover and yellow text is not an issue. More examples possible if required. 

My album blur settings are quite saturated and tendentially dark. 

 

 

 

 

 

Screenshot_20230905-184658_cropped.png

Screenshot_20230905-185040_cropped.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Normann said:

On my device, album blur seems to be primarily generated by small coloured elements within the white cover, so I never experienced those problems. Even yellow cover and yellow text is not an issue. More examples possible if required. 

My album blur settings are quite saturated and tendentially dark. 

 

 

 

 

 

Screenshot_20230905-184658_cropped.png

Screenshot_20230905-185040_cropped.png

What skin are you using?

I don't suppose you have any albums with a full white or black background that you could show as an example? Such as the self-titled albums from The Beatles and Metallica:

Beatles.jpg.91be36562632abe70af814a03c91880a.jpgMetallica.jpg.1c69f2a8a28206bec894c0a7a4438f23.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, slizzap said:

What skin are you using?

I don't suppose you have any albums with a full white or black background that you could show as an example? Such as the self-titled albums from The Beatles and Metallica:

Beatles.jpg.91be36562632abe70af814a03c91880a.jpgMetallica.jpg.1c69f2a8a28206bec894c0a7a4438f23.jpg

It's YAPS, of course. 

But the type of skin you use is not important I guess. Album blur settings are allocated by Poweramp main app. Try to set more blur, more saturation and get darker right there! 

Those Beatles and Metallica albums are barely readable even if you hold the physical records in your hands, I suppose. 😉

Did you try background for text? Has this been discussed before? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Investigated @slizzap 's request and I do not think it is possible to set an overlay without overlaying the text too.

The best I can offer is setting both track and album/artist colour to grey_400_opaque which gives this result as an example

It is highly unlikely  that there is an album cover out there where the whole cover has only this colour. 

image.thumb.png.8e222d799d7ee6e8a8e1f8160693c550.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, flyingdutchman said:

Investigated @slizzap 's request and I do not think it is possible to set an overlay without overlaying the text too.

The best I can offer is setting both track and album/artist colour to grey_400_opaque which gives this result as an example

It is highly unlikely  that there is an album cover out there where the whole cover has only this colour. 

image.thumb.png.8e222d799d7ee6e8a8e1f8160693c550.png

There are LOTS of album covers out there :) I suppose that's the ultimate problem here is that if it's not possible to put a tint or some type of overlay over the dynamic album cover background, there's always going to be a conflict with some album artwork and the text. Changing the text from black to gray will cause a conflict with covers that are all gray. It's pretty easy to find at least one album cover for any given conflict in this scenario just in my library. There are a LOT of album covers that are almost entirely white in my library alone. Here are a couple that would cause issues with gray text.

Aphex.jpg.4dadc86edf05980b8b0b66dceda45946.jpg

Prodigy.jpg.c2fb57f10deaee0caefe0afaba4046d9.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like my only option might be to disable that dynamic background and use a single static color. Obviously that just looks...drab. Was really hoping for something to be implemented like the Kenwood screenshot I provided, but I understand the difficulties here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, slizzap said:

Sounds like my only option might be to disable that dynamic background and use a single static color. Obviously that just looks...drab. Was really hoping for something to be implemented like the Kenwood screenshot I provided, but I understand the difficulties here.

You can keep the dynamic background, just darken it a bit so white text will always be visible. 

Settings>Background>Background Intensity

Choose a setting below 50% (I use 30% myself) this will keep the colours of the album cover but shade it down so even with The Beatles White album you can see you text clearly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...