v3 build 823 - High Battery Consumption

tdas777
Message added by maxmp

Before posting here, please try the following:

Update to build 853+
It has a fix for the playlist related drain.

Settings / Look and Feel / Player UI / Chromecast Button - Disable (Poweramp will restart)
This helps with some un-updated/failing Play services libraries being loaded into Poweramp and increasing battery usage.

Settings / Library / Scanner / Auto-scan - Disable
This helps with some apps constantly/frequently sending file system change event causing Poweramp to rescan frequently and increasing battery usage.

exactly the same issue, I have google home installed, latest google play, latest Poweramp. I'm using wired, auto scanning is turned off. anyways, I'm playing 320khz mp3 songs (hi-fi) but I don't experience this kind of issue with other players.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I have the drain & warming battery issue.

Keep notifications & keep service: OFF.

BT headset: Sennheiser HD 4.50BTNC wireless headphones bluetooth.

Many thanks for keeping up the investigation!

Klara

I also have noticed that Poweramp has been draining my battery and making my phone very warm for the past few weeks. I used to be able to listen to music at work all day and still have 70-80% battery left. If I try that now, my phone gets very warm and I'd be left with maybe 30% at end of the work day (if I let it play the whole time).

I am currently using a Oneplus 5T with OxygenOS 9.0.5. I encode my music to FLAC and I have all Poweramp receivers disabled. I'm using Poweramp build 826. I play my music through 3.5mm earphones. The screen is usually off while music is playing, with a mix of Poweramp being open in the foreground and in the background. After reading through this thread, I've just disabled that Chromecast button setting and will see if that makes a difference.

Hi again.

I am pretty sure it is related to other apps that are open. I am still convinced that Poweramp is the app responsible, because the heat and battery loss only occurs when it is playing music.

However, the usage stats on the battery today said BBC iPlayer was responsible for 25% loss, when I had only used it for 10 mins. And on other days it said Amazon Prime Video was the biggest drain.

However these other apps were dormant during the fast drain period and the same does not occur when I am not using Poweramp with those apps dormant, or if I use a different music player in that situation, so I still think Poweramp is triggering the drain even if the stats are referencing other apps. Suggest your tests are run with other media related apps dormant to see if you can repeat it.

Edit: I can actually watch the battery usage % on iPlayer increase with only Poweramp actually running. Now saying 33% iPlayer while Poweramp % is remaining the same.  iPlayer isn't even a dormant app!   Killing Poweramp has stopped that now.

So long as I kill off all other apps before starting Poweramp I have no issue though.

Regards

Mark

The problem is in recently updated AndroidX media libs and google services, integrated into Poweramp build 821. It seems PA is one of the first players with this libs, so we hit this issue first, which is still quite hard to catch/reproduce. Any insights are welcome.

Disabling the Chromecast button didn't help at all. After my battery had been drained to around 35% in about 5 hours of playing music (and phone was warm too), I tried disabling autoscan as well and it didn't seem to help initially - I did not stop playing music when I changed the autoscan setting. After I stopped playing music for some time, I started again and battery didn't seem to be draining as fast and phone wasn't getting warm either. I'm not 100% sure that disabling autoscan fixed it for me, but it seems better so far. I'll have to test it some more.

And I do not have keep notification or keep service setting on.

On 5/14/2019 at 5:56 PM, maxmp said:

The problem is in recently updated AndroidX media libs and google services, integrated into Poweramp build 821. It seems PA is one of the first players with this libs, so we hit this issue first, which is still quite hard to catch/reproduce. Any insights are welcome.

Poweramp is not the only app that does this - NYT beta might also be affected

4212019215113.jpg

Have been running into the same problem in the last couple of weeks as well. This seems to only happen when the screen is off, but Poweramp is the active app. When Poweramp is running in the background, it drains only a fraction of the battery.

Greetings.

Setup:
Honor 8 FRD-L09, EMUI 5.0, Android 7.0
Poweramp v828

Just charged my phone, will have Poweramp playing for half an hour with screen off and as the active app and another half an hour afterwards in the background. I will post results in an hour or so.

You want power consumption screenshots? I could also help out with some logcat output if you have a suspision what might cause it and those would be of any help.

Greetings,

dunkel

Edit: Nevermind, didn't consume a single % in half an hour :( I will keep an eye out.

17 hours ago, dunkel said:

Have been running into the same problem in the last couple of weeks as well. This seems to only happen when the screen is off, but Poweramp is the active app. When Poweramp is running in the background, it drains only a fraction of the battery.

Greetings.

Setup:
Honor 8 FRD-L09, EMUI 5.0, Android 7.0
Poweramp v828

Thanks for that. I can confirm that for me also having it running in the background does not cause the issue.

It happens only when it is the active app with the screen timed-off

On 5/24/2019 at 6:59 AM, Mark BT52 said:

Thanks for that. I can confirm that for me also having it running in the background does not cause the issue.

I can confirm this. I just went on a two hour walk and only lost about 4% each hour with me opening up another app before turning the screen off. Even with hitting the "next" button and such during the walk, the battery lost power at its normal pace before the issue came up.

And now I'm at work and the battery drain seems to be back (FYI, wired for this and the previous one). The only difference here is that I'm connected to WiFi and I'm a decent amount of stories above the ground. Could this factor in too?

Edit: Just went on a walk with Bluetooth headphones this time. Battery drain was extensive again, unlike the wired pairing a few days ago.

Could this be Location-services based? I experimented with removing both Mobile Data and Location services, and while that will obviously take a lot of drain off the battery, it doesn't appear to be draining as much or getting warm with the location still off and mobile data back on.

That could also explain why my experiences are hit and miss in certain situations... maybe it depends on location services trying to reach whatever or the amount of people around me?

On 5/24/2019 at 4:59 AM, Mark BT52 said:

i noticed this yesterday. i felt like i had a 70% + battery, 50% minimum. i wasn't even using Poweramp and i looked at my phone and i had the battery warning and i was at 30 something percent. 

VrJMOte.jpg

Hi,

I still seem to have the warming & drain problem, but very randomly. The only odd thing I noticed is that my Device maintenance shows much shorter use time for the app than what I actually use it for... But maybe is just a crappy device maintenance... 🙂

Samsung S7, Android 8.0.0

App version: v3.build 826 play

Full 3 build 301

Keep notifications & keep service: OFF.

BT headset: Sennheiser HD 4.50BTNC wireless headphones bluetooth.

Many thanks for keeping up the investigation!

Klara

Phone: Galaxy S7 Edge

Android version 8.0.0

Samsung version 9.0

Power Amp 3 build 301

I'm having the same issues with the battery drain. Can understand why it is difficult to fault find as it comes and goes. Phone running hot and a steep drop in battery are the trademarks when it happens though.

The battery screen shot is an hour of listening wired this morning. I keep my apps pretty clean so close them after use but maxmpz was still running in the background even after I'd closed Power Amp after using it. That is the second steep drop on the graph combined with a little bit of gaming (the gaming app dropped 4%). 

The worst performance from the update to the app is wiping out 80% of my battery in 1.5 hours listening wired. That said I've also had the normal use from it (7 hours with a mix of BT and wired) and minimal battery drain. 

Screenshot_20190606-105413_Settings.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Count me as another "auto-scan off, chromcast button off, no change" users. GSam identifies PA as using 29$% of battery use since 100% charge. At the moment, GSam predicts about 2:44 for the battery to go flat. About the only good news here is the phone, while warm, is nowhere near as hot as before. 

I'm using a set of wired Klipsch buds (i.e., not BT). The screen shows TOD, state of charge, and a notification of the song title. 

Whatever's going on, PA is using far too much power. Charge level drops a point or two in a few minutes. :( 

Archived