What's next for Poweramp?

Correct, I wasn't really thinking about this thread as a pin candidate, more the subject.

Maybe combine the frequently requested and in progress into one? Something like:

Currently ongoing:
Intermediate 934+ smaller various Quality of life improvements as requested on this forum (list selection improvements, list bottom action buttons and related)

Next bigger release:
- plans for synchronized lyrics support

Frequently requested:

Bellow are links to some frequent request.

View past/coming tracks in current playback session
https://forum.powerampapp.com/topic/20240-new-to-Poweramp-want-to-see-list-of-next-tracks-when-i-shuffle-a-category/?tab=comments#comment-94692

* DLNA / SAMBA / CLOUD / ...

1 hour ago, 6b6561 said:

Frequently requested:

Bellow are links to some frequent request.

View past/coming tracks in current playback session
https://forum.powerampapp.com/topic/20240-new-to-Poweramp-want-to-see-list-of-next-tracks-when-i-shuffle-a-category/?tab=comments#comment-94692

No love in your example for the oft requested "No Resample/Bit Perfect Mode" that has been raised many times in the past.😀

This, an actual sound quality improvement feature, that I would take any day over lyrics, or where a song I add to a playlist appears in that list. Different strokes for different folks, but staring at static or scrolling lyrics on my mobile device hardly seems relevant based on the original design principle of Poweramp as the best sounding player on the Android platform.

@MotleyG I support you, scrolling lyrics that will consume ram and battery, being able to view lyrics on the app if embedded is okay, scrolling? Nah. 

After adding scrolling, next request is, adding edit lyrics. 

I want Poweramp to do what virtual DJ is doing on windows, where beats are synchronized, add more skin options, sleep timer is still misbehaving, instead of looking at scrolling lyrics, why not watch a movie? 

Don't forget scrolling lyrics will keep phone display on. 

Request and add all you want, but don't break this app. I have love for this app. 

Bencherished 

@6b6561  I don't think this thread per se is overly suitable for pinning as its source is a question rather than a statement, but if Max would like to create a new general thread to replace the old To-Do list (which I unpinned last year, as it was over ten years old and much of it doesn't seem to apply now) that would be a great idea.

The other thing that I keep meaning to do is create is an overarching post to provide consolidated links to a lot of commonly discussed subjects - basically a bullet-point list pointing to frequently requested features - to try to avoid new duplicate threads getting started all the time. Things like synced Lyrics / LRC file support, increased customisation of category sorting options, user-defined Title and Artist/Album text fields, A-B Repeat, output-follows-source-frequency, etc - but regular readers here will know there are lots of them. Not designed to include every little one-off request, but the things that keep cropping up. Also clearly not a to-do list or an app roadmap, as some of them may not be on Max's radar at all. Maybe I will create a basic post with a few items and encourage people to submit similar things they've seen that I can add to the main post, as I must admit I lose tracks of some of the threads.

[Edit: further discussion moved to new thread in Feature Requests forum]

Andre

I would add the problem with such future feature list is that it's not always possible to plan it for more than couple of future items as:

• there are new Play/Google requirements, new Android OS releases, and similar popping up surprises which may delay or even cancel any planned feature (for example, if the feature won't work due to the Play policy change, or the Android OS behavior change)
  • it's not always possible (or even always not possible) to predict time it takes to implement the feature, so other smaller or newer requested features may be implemented first

I've often wondered if - from a user point of view at least - it might be better to add 15 small "low hanging fruit" features (simple interface tweaks or internal code changes, etc) rather than one major long-term project (such as something requiring external access and huge amounts of testing on different platforms). 

Andre

Max is right, by the time you start lining up request or features to be added to the app, and giving  time frame, and some changes takes place in the course of policy change from OS or Google, users will feel disappointed, some will refuse to understand when you will try to explain just like some of them are doing now. 

I will suggest let the request keep coming in, and Max should take his time implement any that is suitable for the app, the ones that will not hinder the smooth operation of the app, because to be honest some might even break things. 

Bencherished 

Personally I'd like to see the Artist - Album line split. There are three lines of information... Artist, Album and Track. Why do all Android music players insist on merging two of them? The only one I've found that let's you set it up correctly is GMMP.

@John Doe I think primary and secondary lines are pretty normal (unless you are going to go for a predominately text-based interface rather than the current emphasis on more graphical content anyway). Remember that the content for both the Player screen and the Category List is processed as one, so if you made three lines on the player screen you'd need three lines in the list/grid views too.

However there have been a lot of requests to make each of the lines fully user-customisable with a simple formatting string assigned for each Category - so you could for example drop the 'Album' part in the All Songs list if you are happy that the cover artwork sufficiently conveys that detail for you. See my summary post which rounds up some of the other threads on the subject: 

Andre