v3 build 823 - High Battery Consumption

tdas777
Message added by maxmp

Before posting here, please try the following:

Update to build 853+
It has a fix for the playlist related drain.

Settings / Look and Feel / Player UI / Chromecast Button - Disable (Poweramp will restart)
This helps with some un-updated/failing Play services libraries being loaded into Poweramp and increasing battery usage.

Settings / Library / Scanner / Auto-scan - Disable
This helps with some apps constantly/frequently sending file system change event causing Poweramp to rescan frequently and increasing battery usage.

I'm having severe battery drain the last few days while listening to music with the Bluetooth headphones.   I was busy woodworking and should've had at least 50% battery left and then noticed I was at 1%!!!   Today it's doing the same thing.  I rebooted the phone and charged it to 63% and in an hour of listening to music it was back to 15%.   The CPU usage is full blast as well during these times.    I hope this gets fixed soon!!!  thank god I'm not on an out of town trip and needing to use the GPS and hotspot.  

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, hypomaniac-eric said:

I'm having severe battery drain the last few days while listening to music with the Bluetooth headphones.   I was busy woodworking and should've had at least 50% battery left and then noticed I was at 1%!!!   Today it's doing the same thing.  I rebooted the phone and charged it to 63% and in an hour of listening to music it was back to 15%.   The CPU usage is full blast as well during these times.    I hope this gets fixed soon!!!  thank god I'm not on an out of town trip and needing to use the GPS and hotspot.  

Unfortunately, at this moment in current Poweramp builds there is nothing to fix - Poweramp build 847 played 24 hours OK - no any battery issue detected. Please check the topic header for useful fix to reduce battery consumption.

Hi, @maxmp. Have you checked out the log I've posted? Here it is: 

23 hours ago, Crericper said:

New discovery: CPU went high when sleep timer is finished. (in custom pa playlist)

This time not as high as the previous reports. CPU only went to 12%(1.9GHz), but still is abnormal for idling. The phone was cold during playing, but becomes warmer immediately after sleep timer has reached. 

(Logcat included)

IMG_20191026_015025.jpg

Log_2019-10-26_01-30-01.txt 208.75 kB · 2 downloads

On 10/26/2019 at 8:33 AM, maxmp said:

Unfortunately, at this moment in current Poweramp builds there is nothing to fix - Poweramp build 847 played 24 hours OK - no any battery issue detected. Please check the topic header for useful fix to reduce battery consumption.

I don't understand why i need to change settings now after not having this problem on this phone with this app.   I haven't looked into changing the settings yet and the CPU is still draining the battery when using Poweramp.   I use bluetooth when i do.   It drained really fast yesterday and today.  I'm going out of town Saturday so if there's no fix that works then I'll have to use a different app on my phone so I won't have a dead phone when I need it the most.   I hope you can figure out what the problem is.   I really don't understand why it just started since over a week ago.   There was an update before it started happening so i dont' know if it was because of the Poweramp update.   

On 10/24/2019 at 1:17 AM, krazzyvishal said:

Another user here said he experienced this issue only when he played songs from a custom playlist that he created. Since I always use my own playlist, I'm testing this out by playing from the ALL SONGS list. Yesterday, it did seem like the issue disappeared when playing from All Songs. However, I'll test it again tomorrow during commute. You can try the same... 

Update over this, the issue doesn't occur if I don't use custom playlists. I'm happy. I hope in some way, it can be fixed. 

Screenshot_20191101-082527_Settings.jpg

26 minutes ago, krazzyvishal said:

Update over this, the issue doesn't occur if I don't use custom playlists. I'm happy. I hope in some way, it can be fixed. 

Screenshot_20191101-082527_Settings.jpg

I normally use m3u playlists synced with musicbee.   I however did add some songs manually on the phone to one of those playlists a few days ago.  Not sure if it coincides with the battery drain though.  I think the battery drain was several days before that though.   

On 11/1/2019 at 4:39 PM, hypomaniac-eric said:

I normally use m3u playlists synced with musicbee.   I however did add some songs manually on the phone to one of those playlists a few days ago.  Not sure if it coincides with the battery drain though.  I think the battery drain was several days before that though.   

So you don't use any built-in / non-file-based playlists? For me, I only use the built-in playlists. Well, that might say playing songs from any type of playlist could've got a chance to drain the battery.

Anyone found different situations? 

4 minutes ago, Crericper said:

So you haven't got any built-in / non-file-based playlists? For me, I only use the built-in playlists. Well, that might've meant it's just when we play songs from any playlist, either file-based or non-file-based, there's a chance to get a power drain.

Anyone found different situations? (I recommend using SystemPanel to record background usage.)

My power drain started Wednesday of last week and i didn't alter a playlist till last Monday.   I don't think I had non-file based playlists before that.   Unless some file-based playlists got imported from a different app.  

What's the difference between file-based and and non file-based playlists?  All of my playlists are imported from the system playlists.

Since switching from HD playback, my battery drain has reduced, but it is still more than when using other music apps.

I can confirm that I also generally use m3u(8) playlists when the issue occurs. I did some testing with playback using an album selected via the Library 'Album' option and the issue did not seem to occur, which is good news.

I see that others see the same pattern I'm seeing. Let me repeat my reproduction instructions:

1. Switch to PA 

2. Play song (ad: in an M3U playlist, in the main interface)

3. Go to next song

4. Pause (ad: Using the main interface, not the notification interface)

5. Switch to OS monitor (or any other app)

6. Go to 1.

Usage either increases with 25% (about 2 seconds after switching to OS monitor) or does not increase at all.

Did this about 6 times, and Poweramp is now using 95% CPU. Killing Poweramp puts it back to 0% again. I'm a developer myself and will happily cooperate if you want logs or other information.

Note: pausing using the notification interface keeps Poweramp alive and does not lead to the issues. Pausing via the main interface and then switching away does not keep Poweramp alive (in the same way).

2 hours ago, dinfinity said:

I can confirm that I also generally use m3u(8) playlists when the issue occurs. I did some testing with playback using an album selected via the Library 'Album' option and the issue did not seem to occur, which is good news.

I see that others see the same pattern I'm seeing. Let me repeat my reproduction instructions:

Note: pausing using the notification interface keeps Poweramp alive and does not lead to the issues. Pausing via the main interface and then switching away does not keep Poweramp alive (in the same way).

I have successfully reproduced via your steps, with everytime successful. Please take a look at this thread again @maxmp

Good to see that the reproduction instructions lead to the same result in your case, @Crericper. Thanks for the video showing the pattern as well.

It seems fairly obvious that some background PA thread gets stuck in an infinite loop when PA is paused (or stopped).

When I dove into my logs the previous time around, I also found that those dsp_thread calls coincided with PA being paused, but I don't really see the connection with the playlists (yet). It may just be that the failing thread is spawned very near these calls. IIRC, these calls are also visible when the problem does not occur on PA being paused. The logcat results may be a red herring here.

Addendum:

• I tested a bit more with a non M3U, normal playlist and that also leads to the issue reliably.
  • I tested various other options from the Library ('Folders', 'Folders hierarchy', 'All songs') and the issue only occurred the first time after the issue had occurred with a Playlist, even after killing PA, so the issue seems to arise when PA starts in a Playlist (this explains the 'first time' issues) or when a Playlist is loaded after PA is opened. Loading a Playlist at any time in PAs lifecycle seems to set it up for the problem occurring on PA pausing.

Edit: With paused I mean as in the lifecycle of the app, not pausing playback.

@dinfinity This is probably the clearest review of the battery problem to date. 

Since the use of playlists seems to the common thread, that prompts two, related, questions.

Have you investigated the use of queuing vs. playlists, and has logcat shown you any clues about similarity to playlist failure?

I'm more than a little frustrated that there seems to be virtually no obvious, in-depth developer effort on the matter. At one point I was told, summarizing, "we have millions of users and only a few people with this problem. This isn't a place we'll spend time on". That doesn't square up with what's reported in this thread. I suspect there are many more users who have the problem but don't report it. They either accept it, or work in a mode that doesn't trigger the problem. NTL it is clear a problem exists. 

Continuing from my original post, to which I never replied. I have not imported playlists into Poweramp, only used custom created ones on the fly in the Poweramp interface. When listening to playback from this custom playlist I consistently and repeatedly get the overheat/power drain issue. I have not listened to music from that playlist in several weeks and have never experienced the issue since.

Moho

The common theme in the reports appears to be playlists. Further, how the list is formed seems to have no obvious impact. In short, use playlist, cook phone.

The question, then, is what happens with "play this song, play the next, etc." What happens with "start a song, and shuffle in some form"?

Further, looking at the posts, it appears that the phone model, Android version, and rooted/not rooted have little impact on the problem.The short summary becomes "use playlist on any phone, cook phone."

Now to get that a) acknowledged and b) corrected. Frankly, I'm inclined to think the response will be crickets.  

Archived