How Do I Display Track Number?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, blaubär said:

There have been request for customizable list entries though if I remember correctly.

I seem to recall someone suggesting a field-based system for labelling at each level, which would allow for user choices such as "<%disc%>track% - %title%". (Actually, it might have been me :) 

As with the other recent thread about customisable sorting levels, I would envisage the entire current category/sorting/display system being mimicked in a fully editable system. That way every category and layer would appear exactly as it does at present for first-time users, but power users would be able to go into a new editor screen and tweak and adjust everything to their heart's content. A 'reset to defaults' button would definitely be a good idea though. :)

Andre

Yeah, I want the track numbers in the list view when I click an album.

I somewhat surprised that isn't already there by default. I thought it might have been my skin or a setting. That's the third most important piece of information, after album name and track name. I hope this gets fixed soon.

I agree, andrewilley, field-based labeling would be even better.

Thanks! 

44 minutes ago, Trollburner045 said:

That's the third most important piece of information, after album name and track name.

Really? As long as album's songs are sorted in the correct order, seeing the actual track number itself is completely irrelevant to me. I rarely pick up an album and think "I really want to listen to track 11, that's my favourite..." :)

And in many views (such as Folders) track numbers might be completely irrelevant anyway - in fact, I've got thousands of files in my collection that have no track number tag at all.

So while it would be nice to have the option to see track numbers, it's not exactly critical.

Andre

54 minutes ago, invaderzim said:

Is this what you are looking for, guys? 

That only works if you have track numbers prefixing the front of your filenames though. And generally, for most people's music collections, using Title tags in lists and the player screen is preferable to showing the full filename (filename will always be used as a fallback for untagged items).

Andre

Filenames as titles is a workaround, since all of my files are tagged and named properly with track numbers in front; however, they don't allow certain characters (such as colons and slashes). Because of this, many filenames have substitutions for allowable characters. Track name tags don't need these substitutions. I know that's a minor issue.

Track numbers are definitely critical pieces of information. I don't use folder view since all of my files are tagged correctly. I've spent a lot of time properly tagging my music. I've never seen a music player or CD player leave track numbers off. I listen to a lot of concept albums. I like to know where a track is in relation to the rest of the album. When quickly scrolling through an album -- especially one with many tracks -- to play a certain song, it's much easier to look for the track number than the title. This is especially helpful when driving.

• 8 months later...

Similarly to @Trollburner045's comment I've spent quite some time tagging my music correctly and having the track number shown in the album list is also vital piece of information to me when listening to entire albuns, that's a basic functionality of most music players out there - I second all of Trollburners comments.

Is there a solution to display the track numbers or this is not implemented at all in power amp?

Many thanks

1 hour ago, Rogerio da Costa said:

Is there a solution to display the track numbers or this is not implemented at all in power amp?

There is no option to do this in any of the category lists at present (you can see track numbers in the metadata line on player screen though).

It would be nice to have a tickbox in List Options to include track numbers (if present) though. I seem to recall Max saying that the code which generates the text in lists is the same as the code for the main player screen though, so if you enabled them in lists then the numbers would appear everywhere else too.

Andre 

On 10/29/2019 at 12:52 PM, andrewilley said:

There is no option to do this in any of the category lists at present (you can see track numbers in the metadata line on player screen though).

Thanks for the quick reply Andre! It is a shame this isnt present at the moment. I can indeed see the track number in the metadata on player screen such as track 1/13, which is something at least.

On 10/29/2019 at 12:52 PM, andrewilley said:

It would be nice to have a tickbox in List Options to include track numbers (if present) though. I seem to recall Max saying that the code which generates the text in lists is the same as the code for the main player screen though, so if you enabled them in lists then the numbers would appear everywhere else too.

This would be indeed so nice to have! It would add to the awesomeness of Power Amp, looking forward to something like this in near future.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Which reminds me...

I actually thought this one had been addressed ages ago, but Poweramp is still not checking for Disc Numbers when sorting by Track. So for example, when War of the Worlds is played in Album mode, you hear Disc 1 Track 1, then Disc 2 Track 1, then it goes back to Disc 1 Track 2, etc. What should happen of course is Disc One, Tracks 1-5 first,  then Disc Two, Tracks 1-8. Otherwise it kind of makes the story hard to follow... :)

Andre

Do you want just track number from tags displayed?

Track number from tag? (This is optional and may be missing or duplicated for some songs, etc.)

Show that track number in just albums? Folders? All Songs? Other categories?

In both lists and main screen? Or just in lists only?

Thanks!

I would suggest only show disc/track numbers when that info is present in tags (i.e. don't try to interpret them from filenames - unless perhaps there are absolutely no tags of any type embedded in the file anyway). Disc numbers should prefix the track number only if present, otherwise just show the track number alone.

By default, include track numbers for Album-style views only - but maybe put the setting control inside the List Options screen, so people can tweak each Category if they wish?

For the Player screen, have a separate control in the Look and Feel > Player UI settings menu. And again, if nothing is tagged in the file, don't display a placeholder just show the Title only.

Andre

I would like to be able to see disc and track number, taken from file's tags, in the album list and on the main screen.

I can imagine that switching the display of numbers for main screen could be done in "Settings\Look and Feel\Player UI" and for the individual lists it would be switched on in these list options. Changing list sort mode shouldn't hide the numbers - that way one can easily see the sort order of an album is not the "default" one.

Thanks for the input.

Now visual problem arises. Imagine you have albums tracks list. It includes these new track numbers. But we're in shuffle all mode. Clicking track now should do what with track number? 
(There is an animation to main screen, and track number can't vanish. It can, but it looks like inconsistency / jump in animation).

Looks like shuffle all mode now should include track numbers everywhere too, including All Songs.

Also, what about miniplayer on the bottom? Probably should show track numbers when main screen shows.

Personally, I would have said that having the track number disappear part-way through a 0.1 second animation change doesn't really matter one way or the other; the whole screen is changing anyway, so who would worry or even notice? But you're right that in 'Shuffle All Songs' mode, track numbers would probably no longer make sense in the player screen.

The Miniplayer does not really need track numbers either IMHO.

Andre

I was trying to find this in List Options as discussed, but could't see it. I did find it in Player UI settings, but that would be a fully global setting rather than per-Category - and as has been said above, that may not make much sense in views like All Songs.

Could I suggest that the setting be moved to each category's songs List Options? And any option for the Player UI (if you even keep it?) would merely acts as an override, in case the user wants to see numbers in the Album songs view, but not in the player screen for example.

3 hours ago, pawelb said:

How about disc numbers - would you add them, too (if exist)? In 858 they are not visible.

Disc numbers would make sense if they are present, as otherwise you see tracks 1 to 15 followed by 1 to 14 again, etc. I would suggest that (only when a disc number is present) use a simple disc# prefix with a slash such as "disc#/track#" - so 1/1, 1/2, 1/3, then 2/1, 2/2, 2/3, 3/1/, 3/2, 3/3, etc.

Andre

@andrewilley I made few attempts with track numbers applied to specific subset of songs first, but due to Poweramp transitions and UI approach where the same item is everywhere (main UI <-> lists), it didn’t look well.

I will try another approach in the future builds, with track number being a separate text element inside track items. Now track number is just a part of the title.

Archived