Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

andrewilley

It is currently hoped that the next Beta Test release of Poweramp v3 will be ready sometime in April 2018. For the latest update posted by Max the developer, please see http://forum.powerampapp.com/topic/10136-poweramp-v3-project-update-please-read-first-post-for-latest-info-before-commenting/?page=77#comment-46297

As you are probably aware, the Poweramp developer, Max, has been working hard on an updated material design user interface for Poweramp v3, which required a full ground-up rebuild of the code so has taken over a year to develop. Note: this update will be included within the original purchase of v2, there will be no extra licence charge for existing users. 

It's not quite ready to be released for open testing yet, and it's very hard to predict the exact development time. Requests for ETAs are pointless, and will not make it happen any quicker! Max has all the custom components ready (buttons, new Album Art effect, lists, grids, now bottom navigation, etc., with everything animated) but during assembling - partly due to his attention to the fine details - it is taking a bit more time than anticipated to ensure it works properly across the diverse Android ecosystem. He doesn't want to just release it as is, with jerky animation and some non consistent behaviors on some devices.

Slide-in side menus (drawers) have been dropped completely. All user interface and navigation is now gesture and button driven, and the primary supplied skin will be white. However when using visualizations a black background will be used as they cannot be rendered on white. A black themed skin will also be provided.

Third-party skins will need to be redesigned for v3, and Max will be releasing the documentation for that closer to the main app release. The final release will include fixes for all supported hi-res audio devices and more (mostly Chinese) brands. There won't be any other major changes to the existing alpha-test audio engine or effects.

The next beta release will basically be close to the intended v3 release, so effectively feature complete, and the official release will hopefully follow shortly. There won't be a lengthy delay like there was between alpha and beta. Also, Poweramp v3 will be Android 5.0+ (Lollipop+) only, although the old PA v2 version will get a few bug fixes and will remain available for users of Android 2.3 - 4.4.

Max has said he will become more active here on the forums once the beta-test is released to catch feedback.

Once the official v3 release is complete, Max will turn his attentions to building new features for 'v4', which will include:

• Audio effect plugin framework, with sample projects.
  • More configuration options for existing Poweramp DSPs (e.g. parametric equalizer interface and selectable 5-8-10-16-24-32 EQ bands).
  • DLNA/Chromecast output (if Google will stop changing the Chromecast APIs all the time!).
  • A tablet-specific user interface (there is no specific tablet layout included with v3).

For previous progress reports, see http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/10136-Poweramp-v3-project-update/&page=8#comment-40253 and http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/10136-poweramp-v3-project-update/&page=11#comment-40719.

Andre

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Possibly not so good if you still use a KitKat device... but otherwise I'm looking forward to seeing what Max has to offer us!

Andre

I'm hoping v 3 can be released quickly

For me, it is a  good news for any kind of progress update. I do satisfy on sound quality in my s7e Poweramp Alpha 703. However, Andre would you mind describe more precise that

is it requiring more development time spend to fine turning the beta version ? let say it is the last 5% to complete (like: just fixing "some non consistent behaviors" as you mentioned).  or

Max have encountering some problems on assembling all components but it was 50% of work to completion ?

I believe most peoples are comfortable to have quantitative figures to adjust his expectation.

Thanks
Kevin

I would say this is great news because we at least know the project has not been abandoned. and getting an "effectively feature complete" beta is worth a delay of one month, instead of just getting a skinned alpha without any fixes to the problems in the alpha build especially the ones faced in nougat. please forward my thanks to Max for the info @andrewilley :)

12 hours ago, pauldamo said:

the primary supplied skin will be white.To me that is the bad news,hope someone will create a more practical dark skin.

I don't know for sure, but I would hope the release version will include a couple of alternative skins just like v2 does. The default will be white though, presumably to better match with the overall pale look of recent Android releases and other apps?

12 hours ago, woper map said:

Any chance of a small preview? Some screen shots or animation Gifs.

I've asked Max multiple times for a few screenshots as teasers but I suspect our first look at the new interface will be when the beta is released.

5 hours ago, Kevin lam said:

I believe most peoples are comfortable to have quantitative figures to adjust his expectation.

Sorry, I have no more schedule information other than the details I have already posted above. I understand that it is very close to being ready, but as Max has already said, one apparently small item that needs fixing might turn out to be a couple of weeks' extra work. "Real Soon Now" is the most accurate comment at this stage I think.

Andre

14 minutes ago, Niles said:

For better development, I think Poweramp needs a strong team.

As has been stated many times in the past, Poweramp is the brianchild of Maxim Petrov, and while he might consider subcontracting some modular elements (although that hasn't worked out well in the past) Poweramp is, and will remain, 100% his project.

Andre

24 minutes ago, Bencherished said:

Bad news, white skin, no no no, battery killer. 

Only if you leave your screen on all the time, which is a bad idea generally of course when running on battery. Otherwise, the limited time you will spend in the interface rather than actually listening to music will make very little difference.

Andre

Oh yeah, perfect! I'm really hoping that the material design interface will carry that Poweramp feel of quality and robustness.

But yeah, whatever will happen, the audio engine will still be the best of them all. I'm expecting that High-Res playback on 7.x devices will be fixed in this beta, it's something that I've missed for a long time :) .

40 minutes ago, djdarko said:

I'll be here day 1 to beta test. Is Max still planning this as a free update for all past customers?

Yes, for the forseeable future at least, new versions continue to be covered under your existing license payment.

Andre

Archived