Next builds priorities

maxmp

Next builds priorities   

672 members have voted

1. 1. Next build should include:

• Google Music Support
    • Material Skin
    • DLNA Support
    • Cloud Storages Support (Dropbox, etc.)

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, Manuelseth said:

I got another suggestion instead of having the replay gain that adjusts every song the same amount

It doesn't work that way, ReplayGain uses a tag within each music file that tells a playback app how much gain to add to bring that specific song's peak level up to a reference value. You can create this per song, or use Album-based setting to retain the comparative levels between several tracks in the same album and apply the same overall gain to all of them. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain

Andre

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, andrewilley said:

It doesn't work that way, ReplayGain uses a tag within each music file that tells a playback app how much gain to add to bring that specific song's peak level up to a reference value (e.g. if a song file peaks at 77% digital level, a RG flag might tell the app to boost that whole track by 29% in order to get it to peak at 99% instead). You can set this per song, or use an album-based setting to retain the comparative levels between several tracks in the same album and thus apply the same overall gain to all of them. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain

Andre

On 1/8/2016 at 8:26 PM, andrewilley said:

Material design has its fans, but as far as I'm concerned is a complete red herring and will do nothing to make Poweramp a better player. 

I personally don't enjoy how overused the material design is, but if Poweramp could improve in anyway, it would be redesigning its interface. If the material design wouldn't make Poweramp a better player, than the milkdrop feature in v3 won't either. Other than that, I appreciate what Poweramp offers.

P.S. I am not suggesting the potential new interface to be only based of material design.

I personally think a Smart Playlist feature would benefit Poweramp. Not many players offer this functionality and it's something that really should be available as a basic feature in an app as powerful as Poweramp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Give us another way to choose album at without having to choose a music. Now the only way to choose album art is:

a) choose a song -> open 3 dots options -> info/tags -> album art (in alpha its buggy because it only opens album art from the song currently on the player);

b from the player screen by long pressing.

I would like to see in the future been able to choose album art from the album list by simple long pressing the album.

Thanks

5 hours ago, eddie_the_man said:

I would like to see in the future been able to choose album art from the album list by simple long pressing the album.

Despite the name, downloaded art is really intended to be per-track cover art, not per album. Just long press on a track in the list, select Info/Tags and choose Album Art. This will not update the tags in the music file by the way, only in Poweramp's local cache of images.

Andre

On 08.01.2016 at 2:28 PM, andrewilley said:

Agreed, I've always felt that the rotary Tone controls should have flat in the centre, and +/- on either side. I've never been quite sure why it was implemented as a boost-only feature.

As for Visualistions, I really can't see any harm in providing a decent selection as long as there's no great size overhead involved. I personal would probably use it as a visual pattern generator rather than as a frequency analysis tool.

Andre

+1 on the tone controls

Don't know if this is already in the Features request thread but it should be.

All controlls in amplifiers, receivers, RockBox, are that way, in the middle is neutral and you can add or substract bass and treble.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there ! Don't know if it has been discussed yet, but I have a suggestion concerning the shuffle modes.

Your player is the only one I found who can shuffle albums. This. Is. Amazing. Really. Most people who are creating music players don't know the struggle it is to not have the possibility to do that, especially when it's the most (at least for me) logical manner to listen to music.

The only thing I have to say is that's a bit unconvenient to do it. Going to the album tab, select a random album, play it, then select "Random playlists, songs in order"... I really see a possibilty to make this easier and more "user-friendly". Two suggestions:

1. Adding an "Albums" shuffle option, that basically shuffle all available albums and plays the songs in these albums in order (in exactly the same manner as if you do what I explained previously).

2. As I think people don't change the shuffle option every 5 minutes, I thought of a simple on/off shuffle button, and another menu to select the manner it shuffles songs. Maybe, a menu that opens when you click the shuffle button and where you can select what you want to shuffle: "All songs", "Albums", "Playlists in order",... It would work exactly as before, but in a more convenient way (no need to click 10 times on the shuffle button). Something like that.

My english may be inaccurate, so if you need precisions, ask me. :)

6 hours ago, lrkjglksjhdfgkl said:

1. Adding an "Albums" shuffle option, that basically shuffle all available albums and plays the songs in these albums in order (in exactly the same manner as if you do what I explained previously).

2. As I think people don't change the shuffle option every 5 minutes, I thought of a simple on/off shuffle button, and another menu to select the manner it shuffles songs. Maybe, a menu that opens when you click the shuffle button and where you can select what you want to shuffle: "All songs", "Albums", "Playlists in order",... It would work exactly as before, but in a more convenient way (no need to click 10 times on the shuffle button). Something like that.

1. As long as you listen to your music in Albums mode (which fairly obviously you do) then selecting the "Shuffle Lists, Songs in order" will do what you want.#

2. Personally I agree. I suggested ages ago that tapping the Shuffle icon could toggle random playback on and off, while a long-press on the same icon could pop up the list of different modes to choose from.

Andre

On 01/07/2016 at 4:26 AM, andrewilley said:

Of the four items listed, I would say Google music and cloud music storage (including NAS) are equally highly requested in most users eyes, and basically come under the overall heading of 'streaming', which would be very popular if phrased like that.

DLNA has been kinda overtaken by Chromecast (and now Chromecast Audio) in terms of requests for playback options, but I gather that Chromecast is actually nowhere near as simple to implement as it seems, especially if Poweramp's famed audio quality is to be retained. I assumed it was just a case of send the existing audio bitstream to different output plugin API, but I guess it's not.

Material design has its fans, but as far as I'm concerned is a complete red herring and will do nothing to make Poweramp a better player. Audio players have always had their own distinct personalities (going all the way back to things like Winamp on the PC) and turning Poweramp into a bland clone of everything else on the market would be counter-productive. IMHO, adding user-requested features rather than time-consuming (but ultimately superficial) fiddling with the look would be a far better use of Max's valuable time. And anyway, surely it's almost time for Google to come up with yet another vacuous form-over-function re-think to their Android design ideas, so might as well wait for that to happen. ;)

Andre

Ive had good luck with chrome cast but the high quality output on Poweramp doesnt go to "speaker" and thats the output used for the chromecast amd it sems to be diverted/routed from there to wifi.

On 1/7/2016 at 3:16 AM, andrewilley said:

For what it's worth, my own suggestion for priorities would be:

My own suggestion (for what *it's* worth) would be to start by collecting priorities from the most active forum members, and use those as primary drivers; I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that the most active forum members are the ones who think about the product the most, and have hopefully refined their suggestions to the ones that would most improve the product.  You could then use this forum's recommendations as mostly advisory, or implement the easier ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently I would just add that compatibility for Android 7+ versions should be added as a small quick fix. Coz a lot of devices are getting official Nougat 7.1 or CM14.1. I for myself can't make the jump because hi-res output isn't compatible in those ROMs yet. So, instead of all big changes, just a quick fix for compatibility should be rolled out.

A tab based player interface which will feature blurring or as they say misting effect instead of opaque or completely transperant lists, now playing  or menus..it will give a Great feel also inclusion of artist images or previews in the artist section!!

Although I love Poweramp (and have done since I bought it in 2010) the development is atrocious.

I don't know who runs the company but it seems to be one guy who releases a new beta every year or so.

This could be so much better with a bit of focus and priority.

Why is it that users think that someone who has an app on google is running a business. in general they are people who program for fun. if you are good at it, as max clearly is, and your app becomes a success, all the better. any developer is under no obligation to keep delivering updates or upgrades.

2 hours ago, kradcliffe said:

I don't know who runs the company but it seems to be one guy who releases a new beta every year or so.

This could be so much better with a bit of focus and priority.

You are correct in that Poweramp does indeed have one developer. And your point is? Max releases new versions as and when he has had time to complete and test them.

Currently he has been working on a complete revamp of the entire user interface, which has become a very long process as he has had to rebuild it from the ground up to ensure compatibility with the wide variety of Android versions out there. He has said he hopes to have something ready for release in January, but of course it's hard to be specific. If people hadn't been so concerned about having a 'material design' look then I'm sure we would have seen a lot more actual real features added in the meantime instead, but apparently that's what the users want (see the poll in the first post in this thread).

However if you have better "focus and priority" and can do it faster on your own, you are of course more than welcome to develop your own app, and we all look forward to seeing it soon.

Andre

That's exactly the reply I thought I would get. 

Customers invest in development of the software by buying it. Of course there is no obligation to develop it further however Max could make a lot more money by moving this up a notch and hiring more coders, in turn making bigger returns on a better app. Some of the biggest and best apps that have sold for millions started out like Poweramp.

Although I use it every day, both the release and alpha versions are riddled with bugs which makes it more urgent to get the new version released bug free.

Each to their own opinion I guess.

Archived