File Access Component is missing

Alex Ne
Go to solution Solved by maxmp,

Build: Poweramp build-933-bundle-play full verified cached
Store: Play
Unlocker: build-303
Arch: 64
Skin: ActivityTheme_Black
Device: asus ASUS_I01WD msmnile ASUS_I01WD EU_I01WD [arm64-v8a, armeabi-v7a, armeabi]
Installer: com.android.vending (30.2.18-21 [0] [PR] 442071458)
Android: 11 asus/EU_I01WD/ASUS_I01WD:11/RKQ1.200710.002/18.0610.2106.156-0:user/release-keys en_US

After the last update to version 933, Poweramp cannot access files on my android 11 phone correctly

I cannot enable the permission (see screenshot attached).
I tried enabling/disabling the Legacy File Access Mode, I went through every forum post, nothing helps.
I cannot select folders, cannot edit tags on my songs, cannot delete songs, half of the album art are not showing anymore.
I did not upgrade android, I did not disabled any android component, I did not freeze or uninstalled any app. I just upgraded Poweramp to the latest version 933 and something has changed with the file access method in this version.
I tried to install 50 different versions of 'Google Files'/DocumentsUI/alternatives as suggested on the forum, non of them restores the file access correctly (see screenshot of what is built-in in my phone).
I tried my old phone with Android 8 and Poweramp 933, no problems there. It uses the Legacy File Access method anyway and has built in Files app, so it was expected. No luck with my Android 11 phone.

I got older apk versions (925,921) from the site, but I cannot install them over 933. I need to uninstall the latest version first.
The problem is- I cannot export the app settings anymore (see screenshot attached).
I need to take screenshots of every screen, equalizer and setting, It will take days of work to restore everything on 925 manually.

Please Help.

Screenshot_20220427-104058304.jpg

Screenshot_20220427-120506625.jpg

Screenshot_20220427-120201539.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solution

Please check here for details: 

I would add that Asus stock roms, obviously, have no such issue by default as any Android compatible firmware should support system file picker. Some custom ROMs may have this "optimized' out, also some package disablers and "optimizers" or manual adb commands may disable/remove that package, but this always require user intervention.

Disabling this package is like removing "Open File" system dialog from Windows.

If nothing helps, you can always use Legacy File Access option. Though more and more updated apps will fail to work for you as they depend on system file picker now and Google requires new and updated apps to use the system file picker.

But this problem started since Poweramp auto updated to the latest 933 version. Every version of Poweramp worked fine in the last 2 years on this phone, until the last one.

I'm using the stock rom, never touched it. I did not do any changes to my phone since the problem started, No system updates, No uninstall/freeze of any app (system or not).

The problem started last week when Poweramp and a few other (non system apps) auto updated through the play store when I connected to wifi.

I'm sure if rollback to version 925 (by uninstalling 933 and installing fresh 925 version, and manually configure all the settings, which will take days/weeks), the problem will go away.

I prefer not to do that. Please tell me what version of Google Files can I install so it will solve the new 'missing file picker' problem that exists only in version 933. I already tried more than 50 different options with no luck getting working 'file picker' that version 933 will accept without different bug messages.

Thank you.

Tried it, Interesting app.

No problem there.

I see all my song on the phone in the "Library", and I can browse "Local Folders" with any file explorer installed on the phone (It let me choose one every time I enter "Local Folders").

I did not do any changes to my phon's rom, it's not rooted and I did not do any system update in the last months (I think my phone getting old for that). The permissions/file picker problem started only after the latest apps auto update and the problem is only in the latest version of Poweramp. I noticed it immediately because I did a lot of tag editing and song delete on the go, which I cannot do now. I can browse my internal folders with the legacy mode (choosing music folders for the library), but half of the app functionality is broken now and it unusable for me anymore. I think I will have to install manually the latest version before 933 (925?) and never update it again on my android 11 phone, because I spent days trying to solve the problem from my end without any luck.

@Alex Ne previous Poweramp builds work by default in Legacy File Access mode on your device. Even for the new Androids (10+) if you upgraded from the older Android while Poweramp was installed the legacy mode is kept for the app by Android.

You can also re-enable this option manually in Poweramp settings to allow the same behavior as previously.

If your OS is modified and is not compatible with Android OS in this regard ("Windows with Open file dialog removed") then the "new" file access functionality via the file picker may not work. Fortunately, File Legacy Access still works, as Google constantly changes the removal deadline date for it, and it continues to work on Android 10/11/12.

The apps targeted for the older Androids still continue to work in "Legacy File Access" mode. Poweramp targets the new Androids as Poweramp is regularly updated on Play and the app must follow all Google requirements and policies.

Rolling back to a previous PA build might not help, as Android could still treat it as a 'new installed' app rather than something that was installed a long time ago on an older version of Android and which is thus still permitted to use pre-existing access features. However enabling PA's File Access Legacy Mode (and then possibly re-selecting your Music Folders locations if needed) ought to still work until Google finally decides to enforce its new rules with a future Android release - which won't happen to you if you stick with Android 11 of course.

What SDK target level is PA 933 using compared to @flyingdutchman's app?

Andre

• 4 months later...

I'm refloating the thread because I have exactly the same problem, but I don't have the "Legacy File Access" option. I have Android 8.1 in a car unit which doesn't have documentsui.apk installed (and I can't find one wich doesn't fc), together with latest Poweramp 943 build and option doesn't exist.

I've installed build 930, same result: the option doesn't appear.

5 hours ago, Hammerhand said:

I'm refloating the thread because I have exactly the same problem, but I don't have the "Legacy File Access" option. I have Android 8.1 in a car unit which doesn't have documentsui.apk installed (and I can't find one wich doesn't fc), together with latest Poweramp 943 build and option doesn't exist.

I've installed build 930, same result: the option doesn't appear.

There is no option for legacy file access on A8.1 as it already operates in that mode.

35 minutes ago, maxmp said:

@Hammerhand if you rom has no documentsui package installed, you can try to sideload it. If it’s disabled, try to reenable it. Start with installing Files app from Google.

Tried but, don't know why, it force closes all time (I carefully selected documentsui.apk for Android 8.1); if I select any other (for 8, 9, 10...) it says "can't parse file". Files from google doesn't make any difference, the message is the same.

18 minutes ago, Hammerhand said:

Tried but, don't know why, it force closes all time (I carefully selected documentsui.apk for Android 8.1); if I select any other (for 8, 9, 10...) it says "can't parse file". Files from google doesn't make any difference, the message is the same.

Sounds like a question for the manufacturer of your car unit. If they have modified the Android ROM to not allow specific packages to work, then this will limit the apps that can be installed.

4 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

Sounds like a question for the manufacturer of your car unit. If they have modified the Android ROM to not allow specific packages to work, then this will limit the apps that can be installed.

It could be possible but I think it's difficult, I can install any other app with no issue. I will keep searching for an appropriate documentsui which works, but in Poweramp side is there anything more I can try? I'm pretty sure it was working before because I have some backup files in my unit.

Have it been any change related to it in latest months?

@Hammerhand some functionality requires file picker and file picker is a standard file feature starting from Androids 2.x (if I remember properly at least Android 4.x had it). Are you sure apps like Package Disabler wasn't used? Also, as I can see, the documents ui system app is in "DocumentsUIGoogle.apk", so may be this can be sideloaded for your firmware.

17 hours ago, maxmp said:

@Hammerhand some functionality requires file picker and file picker is a standard file feature starting from Androids 2.x (if I remember properly at least Android 4.x had it). Are you sure apps like Package Disabler wasn't used? Also, as I can see, the documents ui system app is in "DocumentsUIGoogle.apk", so may be this can be sideloaded for your firmware.

No, the package is not installed for sure, and it hasn't been since the beginning, weird thing is I could export in a previous version with no issue. Latest time was months ago, so I can't be sure when this exportation stopped working. Will search for "DocumentsUIGoogle.apk".

23 hours ago, maxmp said:

@Hammerhand old Poweramp builds didn't use file picker component and directly wrote to some predefined folder. Unfortunately, recent Androids do not generally allow access for other apps to that predefined folder anymore, also file picker grants write permission to write the file.

Same problem with DocumentsUIGoogle.apk: "app can not be parsed". 

What annoys me is that I can select a file to import but I can't select to export. I know they are different packets but I'm almost here and doesn't work.

Yes, when I import a file my file explorer asks for permission (first time) and works fine. It's when I press "export" when I receive the error  message

2 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

And you've been able to Grant Access to that storage area (for writing, not just reading)

Andre

Edited by Hammerhand

9 minutes ago, Hammerhand said:

It's when I press "export" when I receive the error  message

So you can't even navigate to a different location, it simply gives you that error when you tap the Export Settings option, What happens if you try to export (for example) from the Playlists library category, do you see the same error?

Andre

37 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

So you can't even navigate to a different location, it simply gives you that error when you tap the Export Settings option, What happens if you try to export (for example) from the Playlists library category, do you see the same error?

Andre

Correct.

I don't have the unit with me, will try tomorrow again, but could it be it said it couldn't export more than 600 items?

On 9/14/2022 at 5:53 PM, andrewilley said:

Andre

If I try to export a playlist in default location it does without issue, but if I try to select a folder it gives the same error with file picker. An option to export in default location in settings section would be perfect