File Access Component is missing

Alex Ne
Go to solution Solved by maxmp,

On 9/15/2022 at 6:25 PM, Hammerhand said:

If I try to export a playlist in default location it does without issue, but if I try to select a folder it gives the same error with file picker. An option to export in default location in settings section would be perfect

I took a logcat (which I attach) and posted in my unit thread in xda. A fellow friend posted this:

Edit: Been trying to c&p the content here but I always get error, I post the link here just in case somebody can help me.

2022-09-20-09-07-16.txt

I am completely unaware of how to interpret this, maybe it gives you a clue.

Thanks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Hammerhand ignoring all the stuff that the device produces and just picking out com.maxmpz.audioplayer, it appears some permissions are missing to access the document provider

09-20 09:07:05.604 E/AndroidRuntime(7168): FATAL EXCEPTION: AsyncTask #1
)
09-20 09:07:05.604 E/AndroidRuntime(7168): Caused by: java.lang.SecurityException: Permission Denial: opening provider com.android.externalstorage.ExternalStorageProvider from ProcessRecord{166c731 7168:com.android.documentsui/u0a186} (pid=7168, uid=10186) requires that you obtain access using ACTION_OPEN_DOCUMENT or related APIs

09-20 09:07:05.616 W/ActivityManager(3973):   Force finishing activity com.maxmpz.audioplayer/com.maxmpz.widget.base.AlertDialogActivity

@flyingdutchmanI'm having the same problem.  Please explain how to add that permission.

FYI, I'm using Poweramp for an Android 8.1 head unit.  On my smartphone, Android 12, I have the Legacy option but this option does not show up on the Android 8.1 head unit.  I'm guessing as Poweramp determines it's running Android 8.1 then the Legacy option is not displayed.  Perhaps it would be better to show the option/text with a description that PA is running in Legacy mode.

When I look at the permissions for the documentsui app that I downloaded from the Google Play Store, the app does not list/ask/require any permissions at all...I thought that was strange, but that's what I see.

As for the exception, since it's referencing documentsui, wouldn't that mean it's NOT running in Legacy mode?

Permission Denial: opening provider com.android.externalstorage.ExternalStorageProvider from ProcessRecord{166c731 7168:com.android.documentsui/u0a186} (pid=7168, uid=10186) requires that you obtain access using ACTION_OPEN_DOCUMENT or related APIs

The specific reference in this text is to com.android.documentsui, for example.

44 minutes ago, PA_1977 said:

I'm guessing as Poweramp determines it's running Android 8.1 then the Legacy option is not displayed.

Correct. The newer Storage Access Framework system was not available back in Android 8 days. Instead it only had what is now referred to as 'legacy mode'. 

Andre

@andrewilleyOK.  But to the second question I had, the exception is referencing documentsui.  Isn't documentsui part of the Storage Access Framework and so that indicates that Poweramp is actually not using a Legacy mode?  If it was using a Legacy mode, wouldn't the file access/picker work?  I'm not sure of any of this, just trying to understand this a little more.

<speech>As time goes by, devices don't or can't be updated to newer Android versions.  Android users are then continually being forced to either decide to use different software, stay with existing software, if it's available, or to upgrade their hardware.  I'd be happy to stay with existing software, but that's not always possible.</speech> :)

15 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Correct. The newer Storage Access Framework system was not available back in Android 8 days. Instead it only had what is now referred to as 'legacy mode'. 

Andre

I've tried to install app as system app and  give permissions with same result.

The problem is, as @PA_1977 says, that app doesn't ask for permission; i've tried to grant this permission with pm grant (...) but, as app doesn't ask for it, it gives error too.

It's weird that the only app which can handle this intent is documentsui, but I can import settings with no issue because it's handled with a simple file explorer.