Using ADB to allow Equaliser permissions for more audio applications

1 hour ago, brenas25 said:

Failed to open: No Activity found to handle Intent ( act=android settings.ACTION_NOTIFICATION_LISTENER_SETTINGS ( has extras)

Without this opt. equalizer will not cooperate with AndroidTv device.

Android TV lacks a few components. Such as notification listener  permission for third party apps. That's why when you clicked on "Notification listener permission" on PEQ, you got the error toast message. You are not the only one, similar thing was reported at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49070886/notificationlistenerservice-in-androidtv . Other modified variants of Android, such as Android Go also lacks this permission. The only way to access notification would be to make it a system app I guess....

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@John Titor the Advanced Player Tracking option implementation in Poweramp Equalizer can actually work without the notification listener at all and I will try to implement that mode in the future builds. Though, DUMP permission is still needed, also Android may unload Equalizer app without active notification listener, so this should be worked around some how.

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

@boonboon What have you tried, and what error messages are you seeing on your PC when you try to connect and send the command to your phone?

Andre

Thank you for your quick response.

I already DUMP it.

I fogot to disable permission monitoring.

After I disable permission monitoring I can DUMP it already.

On 4/7/2021 at 11:25 PM, maxmp said:

@John Titor the Advanced Player Tracking option implementation in Poweramp Equalizer can actually work without the notification listener at all and I will try to implement that mode in the future builds. Though, DUMP permission is still needed, also Android may unload Equalizer app without active notification listener, so this should be worked around some how.

Thats good news,but when next build will be released?

47 minutes ago, maxmp said:

@brenas25 no hard ETAs, the parametric eq is the main feature under the development now, but all those smaller tweaks are also planned.

I understand....

Btw. Your eq is the best with any doubt and work like a harm on all my phones.There is only problem on ATV Sony device ( notification listener problem ) but i belive that this will be fixed in the one of following bulids.

Wow great news thanks for the info Max & I hope it'll come in Poweramp player as well because I can't buy PA EQ it's not supported on my old Android 7 device.

2 hours ago, maxmp said:

@brenas25 no hard ETAs, the parametric eq is the main feature under the development now, but all those smaller tweaks are also planned.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran the tweeks listed above  for dump permission and enable player tracking - all are enabled ( used the web version of the ADB tool) .  Still no luck in seeing the Poweramp player ( which I would think should be the most likely to see)   I can see Samsung music and other players such as Spotify, Various other players.   The versions are all current - reinstalled yesterday.

Thank you

2 hours ago, warren smith said:

Still no luck in seeing the Poweramp player ( which I would think should be the most likely to see)

Not a good idea to have two EQs (especially if either is using DVC) running together, but if you want to try it just enable MusicFX in Poweramp.

Andre

• 5 weeks later...

On 1/27/2021 at 11:38 AM, andrewilley said:

NEW: browser based adb tool https://powerampapp.com/webadb/
This one doesn't require installation or even can be used on the Android devices in mobile Chrome.

The Poweramp Equaliser app is designed to operate with other Android audio apps which already specifically allow external modification of their sound output - and you can see and enable those apps in the 'Known Players' list in Settings - but there are some other audio playing apps which don't provide access for this sort of adjustment.

There is a slightly tweaky method (which does not need root) to override this and provide support for most audio apps though. It's a one-off task, so once it's done you shouldn't need to do it again.

You need to enable some extra permissions via PA-EQ Settings > Equalizer > Advancer Player Tracking. However before you can do that, you first need to run a simple command-line instruction in ADB (Android Debug Bridge) on a computer to create the necessary permissions on your phone via a USB cable connection. If you don't have ADB installed on your computer, see the instructions in https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/ .

There is also a website which can generate the same commands on a computer and send them to a connected phone via USB cable: https://webadb.com . You can even use another phone if you have a suitable OTG USB cable to connect between the two devices, using an app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.htetznaing.adbotg to issue the ADB commands.

On some devices, you may need to also need to go into the Android Developer Options, and activate the "disable system monitoring" feature.

Once ADB is ready on your computer or other external device, open a command-line window and type the following command (shown in red) to link to your USB-connected phone:

C:\WINDOWS\system32> adb devices
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
List of devices attached
R58M471DJAX     unauthorized

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

As shown by the error above, your phone may ask for permission the first time you do that:
image.png

After allowing on your phone, try again:

C:\WINDOWS\system32> adb devices
List of devices attached
R58M471DJAX     device

C:\WINDOWS\system32> adb shell pm grant com.maxmpz.equalizer android.permission.DUMP

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

You are now done with the computer connection, everything else is in the phone app now.

Now enable the actual feature on your phone via PA-EQ Settings > Equalizer > Advancer Player Tracking:
image.png

Clicking on Notification Listener Permissions in the above screen will take you to the following Android screen so you can enable access for the PA-EQ app:
image.png

After all that is done, play something in one of the previously-missing apps (e.g. YouTube Vanced) and you should then see it as selectable in the 'Known Players' list:
image.png

Andre

I did everything u mentioned and i cant get permisson on DUMP. Heres a ps from command prompt:

c:\adb>adb devices
List of devices attached
ae147a91        device

c:\adb>adb shell pm grant com.maxmpz.equalizer android.permission.DUMP
Security exception: grantRuntimePermission: Neither user 2000 nor current process has android.permission.GRANT_RUNTIME_PERMISSIONS.

java.lang.SecurityException: grantRuntimePermission: Neither user 2000 nor current process has android.permission.GRANT_RUNTIME_PERMISSIONS.
        at android.app.ContextImpl.enforce(ContextImpl.java:1906)
        at android.app.ContextImpl.enforceCallingOrSelfPermission(ContextImpl.java:1934)
        at com.android.server.pm.permission.PermissionManagerService.grantRuntimePermission(PermissionManagerService.java:2182)
        at com.android.server.pm.permission.PermissionManagerService.access$1000(PermissionManagerService.java:122)
        at com.android.server.pm.permission.PermissionManagerService$PermissionManagerServiceInternalImpl.grantRuntimePermission(PermissionManagerService.java:3185)
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.grantRuntimePermission(PackageManagerService.java:5891)
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.runGrantRevokePermission(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:1955)
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.onCommand(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:230)
        at android.os.ShellCommand.exec(ShellCommand.java:111)
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onShellCommand(PackageManagerService.java:22501)
        at android.os.Binder.shellCommand(Binder.java:881)
        at android.os.Binder.onTransact(Binder.java:765)
        at android.content.pm.IPackageManager$Stub.onTransact(IPackageManager.java:4924)
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onTransact(PackageManagerService.java:4115)
        at android.os.Binder.execTransactInternal(Binder.java:1021)
        at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:994)

On 5/30/2021 at 10:18 PM, fikumiku123 said:

Or not... It still doesnt work even if all is good on the paper. Its not working with yt vanced even if its recognized by the app.

You have to enable "USB debugging" and "USB debugging (Security settings)" in Developer options in MIUI12

Edited by boonboon

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After connecting 
my Phone via PC ADB
command prompt
after executing the
following commands
as specified in the app
i am getting this error

C:ladb>adb shell pm
grant com.maxmpz.eq