Using ADB to allow Equaliser permissions for more audio applications

The Poweramp Equaliser app is designed to operate with other Android audio apps which already specifically allow external modification of their sound output - and you can see and enable those apps in the 'Known Players' list in Settings - but there are some other audio playing apps which don't indicate that they allow access to their audio output for this sort of adjustment.

The following is a slightly tweaky method (which does not need root) to allow Android to override other app's output limitations and provide EQ support for most audio apps. It's a one-off task, so once it's done you shouldn't need to do it again.

You will first need to connect your phone or tablet to an external computer/phone/tablet via a USB cable. For phone-to-phone connections (which don't support regular USB cables) use a USB OTG ("On The Go") cable.

Once connected, the easiest method to assign the necessary permissions is to use our provided web-based tool -  https://powerampapp.com/webadb - which you must access using the Chrome or Edge browser on the other device. This method doesn't require anything to be installed, you just go to the web page and follow the instructions.

Note: on some phones/tablets, you may first need to go into the Android Developer Options and activate the "Disable Permission Monitoring" toggle switch. Your phone/tablet may also pop up a prompt requesting permission for the external device to connect via USB, just accept the request.

You are now done with the USB cable, and you should be able to activate the actual feature on your phone/tablet via PA-EQ Settings > Equalizer > Advancer Player Tracking:
image.png

Clicking on Notification Listener Permissions in the above screen will take you to the following Android screen so you can enable access for the PA-EQ app:
image.png

After all that is done, play something in one of the previously-missing apps (e.g. YouTube Vanced) and you should see it as selectable in the PA-EQ Settings > Equalizer > Known Players list:
image.png

If you are more technically minded, you can also do this using an command-line instruction in ADB (Android Debug Bridge) on a computer to create the necessary permissions on your phone via a USB cable connection. If you don't have ADB installed on your computer, see the instructions in https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/ .

There is also a website which can generate ADB commands on a computer and send them to a connected phone via USB cable: https://webadb.com . You can even use another phone if you have a suitable OTG USB cable to connect between the two devices, using an app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.htetznaing.adbotg to issue the ADB commands.

Once ADB is ready on your computer or other external device, open a command-line window and type the following command (shown in red) to link to your USB-connected phone:

C:\WINDOWS\system32> adb devices
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
List of devices attached
R58M471DJAX     unauthorized

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

As shown by the error above, your phone may ask for permission the first time you do that:
image.png

After allowing on your phone, try again:

C:\WINDOWS\system32> adb devices
List of devices attached
R58M471DJAX     device

C:\WINDOWS\system32> adb shell pm grant com.maxmpz.equalizer android.permission.DUMP

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

You are now done with the computer connection, everything else is in the phone app now.

Andre

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

@Sohaibahmadu No, it looks like either you have not granted permission for the connection on your device, or you do not have a suitable driver installed on your computer for communicating with your device. Until you get a valid response from the adb devices command, no other commands will work. Check with your device's support people, or ask somewhere like the XDA forums for your specific product, as to what you need.

Andre

2 hours ago, Sohaibahmadu said:

@Someguyonline my monitoring permissions is also disabled but not work on my oppo F11 mobile. 😢

There is a toggle named "Disable permission monitoring" at the very end of Developer options page. The toggle is disabled by default you need to enable the toggle to "disable permission monitoring". If it still doesn't work, please ask on XDA preferably with a screenshot of the developers option page.

Edited by Someguyonline
Bold

On 2/6/2021 at 7:04 PM, Someguyonline said:

There is a toggle named "Disable permission monitoring" at the very end of Developer options page. The toggle is disabled by default you need to enable the toggle to "disable permission monitoring". If it still doesn't work, please ask on XDA preferably with a screenshot of 

Thanks. Its works now ❤️😍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@brenas25 Sorry, that's no possible. An app can't grant this permission to itself, it can only be assigned from an external debugging tool.

I don't know whether it's possible to do the same to an Android TV device though, if you can connect it to a computer via an OTG cable it might be. 

Andre

18 hours ago, andrewilley said:

@brenas25 Sorry, that's no possible. An app can't grant this permission to itself, it can only be assigned from an external debugging tool.

I don't know whether it's possible to do the same to an Android TV device though, if you can connect it to a computer via an OTG cable it might be. 

Andre

Could you write me full adb commands:

1.Grant VOLUME KEY permission ( Poweramp equalizer )

2.Grant VOLUME KEY permission ( Poweramp player )

I did Grant DUMP and rest i have to enter manually.

Thank you

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

@brenas25 The volume-key ADB commands are shown (and copyable) in the Settings pages of both apps:

pm grant com.maxmpz.equalizer android.permission.SET_VOLUME_KEY_LONG_PRESS_LISTENER

and

pm grant com.maxmpz.audioplayer android.permission.SET_VOLUME_KEY_LONG_PRESS_LISTENER

Andre

Unfortunately i have another problem after  application command DUMP via adb.

Second option in settings of equalizer( below DUMP )is still locked.When click on it getting this message:

Failed to open: No Activity found to handle Intent ( act=android settings.ACTION_NOTIFICATION_LISTENER_SETTINGS ( has extras)

Without this opt. equalizer will not cooperate with AndroidTv device.

Do you know any solution?

44 minutes ago, brenas25 said:

Without this opt. equalizer will not cooperate with AndroidTv device.

There is no need for the volume key listener in general use, so it shouldn't be that permission which is causing you any general installation problems.

Andre

6 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

There is no need for the volume key listener in general use, so it shouldn't be that permission which is causing you any general installation problems.

Andre

BTW.

Without "Enable Player Tracking" equalizer not working even on my phone ( i checked it ).

Its strange that after DUMP permission i dont have any problems with notification listenerv on my phone and can choose Poweramp and others players in Player Tracking.I cant do this on AndroidTv device,so equalizer wont work.

@brenas25 The 'Advanced Player Tracking' permission is needed for any apps that don't specially intend for their audio output to be modified by external processes - such as an equaliser.

So without granting the DUMP permission, the EQ app should still be able to install and run, but when you look in the Settings > Equalizer > Known Players list you won't see very many choices available (depending on what audio apps you have installed on the unit - YouTube Music should be visible anyway, as should Spotify).

Andre