Can't scan for any songs from external microSD card

Gchaner

It seems it cannot gain access to my microSD card. Any songs that are in my external microSD storage won't get pick up, showing me a empty library with 0 song.

I am using a Sharp Aquos S2 (FS8016) with an Qualcomm S660 inside running on Android 8.0, any kind of advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: I am using the 795 build form play store.

Screenshot_2018-09-04-02-46-17.png

Screenshot_2018-09-04-02-46-45.png

Screenshot_2018-09-04-02-51-06.png

Screenshot_2018-09-04-03-00-42.png

Just now, flyingdutchman said:

On trhe face of it I would say your card is corrupted. My advice would be to reformat it. I have previously provided a utility, published by Heisse Publications that analyses your sdcard for errors. I have attached it.

Heisse_h2testw_1.4.zip

The problem is that I have tried dial back using the non beta version and that works flawlessly. And the beta 795 version can play songs on my microSD card but only by pass through from the file manager so I am pretty sure it is not a corrupted card. But still thanks for your help.

So a quick update, I have switch out the Sandisk Ultra 128G for a Samsung PRO 64G and no luck so far. The card I replaced is completely new and I only created one folder on card for a few songs and it's still not able to scan for any songs, saying 0 library 0 songs.

4 minutes ago, Gchaner said:

So a quick update, I have switch out the Sandisk Ultra 128G for a Samsung PRO 64G and no luck so far. The card I replaced is completely new and I only created one folder on card for a few songs and it's still not able to scan for any songs, saying 0 library 0 songs.

You have folders containing the music files on your SD right?   Normally you would at least see a > arrow like on your internal storage to allow you to select specific folders.

Ignoring that it worked on a previous version, as a test, try copying an album or some songs to the root of the SD card and see if it picks them up.

2 minutes ago, djdarko said:

You have folders containing the music files on your SD right?   Normally you would at least see a > arrow like on your internal storage to allow you to select specific folders.

Ignoring that it worked on a previous version, as a test, try copying an album or some songs to the root of the SD card and see if it picks them up.

I did copy a whole 4GB worth of 78 songs onto the card and only contain one folder, but with what your mentioning with the ">", I notice there is no such thing now for the external storage.
Btw, after I plug in my phone to my desktop, it have now gone into a loop of infinity...

photo6082588884698507330.jpg

So basically I press the back button after unplugging the phone and it pops the "select the music folder" for me and it is still the same. It seems that the loop will happen when it encounter fails upon scan for songs with what I have select for the music folder after plugging into a computer.

3 hours ago, Gchaner said:

So basically I press the back button after unplugging the phone and it pops the "select the music folder" for me and it is still the same. It seems that the loop will happen when it encounter fails upon scan for songs with what I have select for the music folder after plugging into a computer.

This sounds like an indexing problem to me,

It's a long shot, but possibly try this:

(Note: Do this at your own risk, I've done it before and it's only helped things in the long run.)

Go to Settings (android settings).

Apps

Enable *Show System* (pressing 3 dots might give this option)

Find an app called "Media Storage"

Click into it, and you will see "Storage" with the MB used. examplpe  "6.57 MB used in Internal storage"

Hit "Clear data"

Then wait a bit, this will force your device to repopulate the index of your SD card.

Also,

Another thing to try:

Close Poweramp. Go into your apps as mentioned above and find Poweramp, check if the "Permissions" has "Storage" enabled.

Disable it, then re-open Poweramp, then Allow when it asks for Storage access. Again, a long shot, but maybe your Phone is mixing up some permissions because this is a different version of the app.

59 minutes ago, djdarko said:

This sounds like an indexing problem to me,

It's a long shot, but possibly try this:

(Note: Do this at your own risk, I've done it before and it's only helped things in the long run.)

Go to Settings (android settings).

Apps

Enable *Show System* (pressing 3 dots might give this option)

Find an app called "Media Storage"

Click into it, and you will see "Storage" with the MB used. examplpe  "6.57 MB used in Internal storage"

Hit "Clear data"

Then wait a bit, this will force your device to repopulate the index of your SD card.

Also,

Another thing to try:

Close Poweramp. Go into your apps as mentioned above and find Poweramp, check if the "Permissions" has "Storage" enabled.

Disable it, then re-open Poweramp, then Allow when it asks for Storage access. Again, a long shot, but maybe your Phone is mixing up some permissions because this is a different version of the app.

Still no luck after clearing Media Storage's data and giving permission at the startup of Poweramp. I find out my other phone, Samsung Galaxy S7 have no problem detecting songs on external microSD storage, maybe I should also try clearing my File manager's data?

37 minutes ago, Gchaner said:

Still no luck after clearing Media Storage's data and giving permission at the startup of Poweramp. I find out my other phone, Samsung Galaxy S7 have no problem detecting songs on external microSD storage, maybe I should also try clearing my File manager's data?

The other phone sees the music in Poweramp 795 using the same SD card?    If you think clearing the file manager data would help, try it.

3 minutes ago, djdarko said:

The other phone sees the music in Poweramp 795 using the same SD card?    If you think clearing the file manager data would help, try it.

Yes, my other phone from Samsung which also uses Android 8.0 can properly detect both of my cards and scan for all the songs in proper order. Clearing file manager's data didn't help on my Aquos S2.

1 hour ago, Gchaner said:

Yes, my other phone from Samsung which also uses Android 8.0 can properly detect both of my cards and scan for all the songs in proper order. Clearing file manager's data didn't help on my Aquos S2.

Are there any firmware updates available for your Phone?

Also, have you attempted to reformat that SD card using the Aquos S2s storage settings?

It certainly does seem that Android is reporting that a card is present, but PA is not able to see any contents. If you can't drill down to see any contents within the Music Folders tree (i.e. there is an arrow to the left of the root name indicating files and folders are present) then I assume PA also won't be able to drill down when it tries to do a scan either. It would appear to be something specific to your device though. I'm not sure if @maxmp has one of those in his testing arsenal?

Andre

40 minutes ago, djdarko said:

Are there any firmware updates available for your Phone?

Also, have you attempted to reformat that SD card using the Aquos S2s storage settings?

No, I only tried using my desktop computer to reformat the sd cards because it is much faster that way. And I am sure that my phone have the lastest software installed.

21 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

It certainly does seem that Android is reporting that a card is present, but PA is not able to see any contents. If you can't drill down to see any contents within the Music Folders tree (i.e. there is an arrow to the left of the root name indicating files and folders are present) then I assume PA also won't be able to drill down when it tries to do a scan either. It would appear to be something specific to your device though. I'm not sure if @maxmp has one of those in his testing arsenal?

Andre

Sadly, it can't display any of the content folders on my card, not even a arrow on the left side of the card  where root of the folder tree is present.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived