Poweramp builds 888-893

maxmp

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, maxmp said:

@RiedRied on recent Samsungs 3.5 output (or usb-to-3.5 dongle) bitwidth depends on sampling rate. This is only for wired connection, for example BT bitwiddth depends on codec, and usb dacs are another story. Thanks!

Thank you ! Good to know ! So if I don't want to lose precision - the DSP works with 32 bit it seems - I have to upsample to 384 kHz ( for Poweramp on recent Samsung hardware with wired headphones ).

12 hours ago, RiedRied said:

Thank you ! Good to know ! So if I don't want to lose precision - the DSP works with 32 bit it seems - I have to upsample to 384 kHz ( for Poweramp on recent Samsung hardware with wired headphones ).

Yes. However 32-bit audio depth is one of those pretty pointless numeric spec 'one-upmanship' games - and no phone actually processes to that level anyway. Even 24-bit audio provides a massive dynamic range of 144dB, which covers the range from complete silence to standing right next to a jet engine during take-off. 32-bit provides a ludicrous 192dB of range, exceeding even a rocket launch. So no domestic musical equipment will be reproducing sound to that level.

https://www.androidauthority.com/why-you-dont-want-that-32-bit-dac-667621/

Andre

23 hours ago, andrewilley said:

@RiedRied I believe 88kHz and 96kHz are accurate figures, so it's not 88.2kHz as a multiple from 44.1.

I tried it out with a test file with sampling rate of 88.2 kHz - Poweramp just displays that as 88 kHz. Which is a good thing actually (not the display, but the fact that it's 88.2) - nobody would need a slightly uneven multiple of 44.1 kHz 🙂 .

20210105_132310.jpg

20210105_132327.jpg

3 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Yes. However 32-bit audio depth is one of those pretty pointless numeric spec 'one-upmanship' games - and no phone actually processes to that level anyway. Even 24-bit audio provides a massive dynamic range of 144dB, which covers the range from complete silence to standing right next to a jet engine during take-off. 32-bit provides a ludicrous 192dB of range, exceeding even a rocket launch. So no domestic musical equipment will be reproducing sound to that level.

https://www.androidauthority.com/why-you-dont-want-that-32-bit-dac-667621/

Andre

Thanks a lot ! That's an interesting link ! So for all practical purposes of music playing 24 bit should be more than enough, that means for Poweramp on Samsung upsampling to 192 kHz.

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Someguyonline said:

As you can see the file is mkv but Poweramp thinks it's mka for some reason. 

I've just checked it and you are right - even with the 'Ignore Video Files' option enabled, the PA scanner is still detecting MKV files and putting them in the library (marked as MKA, which is the audio element). It does correctly ignore MP4 files which contain video & audio elements though.

Andre

Another thing I noticed. It's about systemui volume controls menu on MIUI 12. I set my volume levels to 100 in Poweramp (system default is 16). When Poweramp is running and something is being played on it, the volume controls doesn't show up outside the app. But if I change volume levels settings in Poweramp back to system default, I can see systemui volume controls outside the app. 

IMG_20210122_035329.thumb.jpg.1afe4c0b0080a55974c19acc6ecf9be2.jpg

^^ Above screenshot is taken with volume levels set as system default in Poweramp. The controls simply doesn't show up outside Poweramp app if volume levels set as anything other than "system default". I mean I can hear that volume level is being changed when I am pushing volume+/- buttons but the controls menu doesn't show up. But if I pause Poweramp, everything returns to normal. I am guessing it is related "volume icon may look like remote media" warning. So far I haven't seen such icon on my volume controls menu. On my android 8.1 stock ROM, it does show up tho.

IMG_20210122_040257.thumb.jpg.0fee657ec7e8477e4994701ffc924507.jpg

On 1/22/2021 at 4:06 AM, maxmp said:

@Someguyonline unfortunately MIUI12 ROM is missing "remove volume" UI (ROM bug).

Miui 12 base on android gave a lot of prbs..

The DVC thing..it sucks. Whenever I try to turn on DVC the volume will right away dip so much....and if the phone is in silent mode then there will be no sound in DVC on mode...I have to either turn off DVC or either switch the phone to Ringer mode.

The only way to use hi resolution is DVC off.

Or ringer mode on...an in ringer mode on the volume is distorted.

I can't mount my files for some reason. Everything was working fine and then all of a sudden the directory showed that it wasn't mounted. But I choose enable it goes to a screen that says recent. But there's nothing there. I tried rescanning trying every music rescanning file option there is and I still can't get my files to show. When I go into my file manager program and choose power amp as the player it says that my files are not mounted. I'm not using an SD card so I'm very confused! Help

17 minutes ago, Steve757 said:

I can't mount my files for some reason. Everything was working fine and then all of a sudden the directory showed that it wasn't mounted. But I choose enable it goes to a screen that says recent. But there's nothing there. I tried rescanning trying every music rescanning file option there is and I still can't get my files to show. When I go into my file manager program and choose power amp as the player it says that my files are not mounted. I'm not using an SD card so I'm very confused! Help

If you've used package disabler or any other programs that disable apps or services, it sees external storage as bloatware! Make sure that it's not checked, and all of a sudden your program will work again! Don't know why the program thinks it's storage is bloatware but at least we know that that's at least one fix!

53 minutes ago, Steve757 said:

I can't mount my files for some reason. Everything was working fine and then all of a sudden the directory showed that it wasn't mounted.

You don't say anything about your device or ROM, or if anything else has changed. Have you updated your Android version recently (e.g. to 11)? If so, try turning Settings > Misc > File Access Legacy Mode off.

Andre

2 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

You don't say anything about your device or ROM, or if anything else has changed. Have you updated your Android version recently (e.g. to 11)? If so, try turning Settings > Misc > File Access Legacy Mode off.

Andre

Thanks Andre! I found out that I had used package to stabler pro and it saw that external storage was a bloatware program! Duh, not the smartest program. Package disabler pro that is. Now that I have your attention,I used to have to use version 2 because it sounded better to me and it didn't distort as much as version 3. Now I don't have a choice because I'm on Android 11. Stock ROM. And it just doesn't seem to sound as good as even playing it through my file manager. I love the features of power amp, but now even The equalizer and the gain distort. and when I turned everything down so it doesn't distort the tone is just not as good as version 2 was. Your thoughts? :-)

1 hour ago, Steve757 said:

Now I don't have a choice because I'm on Android 11. Stock ROM. And it just doesn't seem to sound as good

Was this an upgrade on the same device, or a new phone?

Try adjusting Settings > Audio > Outputs back to defaults, and also enable Settings > Audio > Replay Gain (again, with default settings) so you've got a base version to compare to. Ideally enable DVC (Direct Volume Control) if your device supports it. You could also try using high-res output if the default Android method doesn't sound as good to you. If you want to push up the bass heavily and that causes distortion, try turning the pre-amp gain down a bit to compensate - although that normally shouldn't be an issue if you have DVC and ReplayGain turned on. 

Andre

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Someguyonline said:

Looks like on MIUI control center, Poweramp tile is not responsive, it clicking on it doesn't enable Poweramp at all.

IMG_20210206_164453.jpg

In MIUI 12 it is displayed grayed out as your one, but if you long press it it will open the app.

1 hour ago, Kundun said:

In MIUI 12 it is displayed grayed out as your one, but if you long press it it will open the app.

Yup, I think that's the default behaviour for all apps. But I remember it used to work on classic quick settings.

So anyway, I tried to play around a bit with tiles, and found a workaround.

1. It works on classic quick settings. But if I switch to control center, the button becomes unresponsive. So I just decided to switch back to classic quick settings. Same thing, it's acting like how it's on control center, not working at all.

I just removed Poweramp tile from control center/classic quick settings panel, while it's unresponsive. Clicked done. Then added it again. That made it work.

So the workaround is that ^. Remove Poweramp tile and add it again. At least for me on MIUI 12. Not sure about other phones. Perhaps @Pankajk5 would want to try it out on their One Plus?

IMG_20210206_192435.jpg

Archived