Settings export/import including eq/tone/rating presets

jensf

Hi,

What about the planned feature update for saving Poweramp settings? This functionality is still highly required and announced years(!?) ago.

I read a lot of threads including those where the moderator recommends to copy "folders.db" file from /_com.maxmpz.audioplayer/databases/folders.db.

But - attention please because it's new for this post - this file does NOT exist: neither on my _rooted_ HTC Desire I used with the paid Poweramp full version nor on my new (not rooted) Samsung GT-I9100 I need the settings, especially the ratings of my music for.

Titanium was a useful tool for save and restore settings from one custom rom to another (though I really have no idea where Titanium took those settings from while "folders.db" doesn't exist - ...and you? -) ...but unfortunately it's impossible to use Titanium backup for transferring the settings for this app from a rooted to a not rooted phone now anymore.

Please provide any solution for the migration of the player settings.

Cheers,

-- 

Jens

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes , there must be import/export media data. Its very annoying to loose all song ratings, playlists [though it can be exported] when I need to reset my phone. There should be only 1 file to be exported containing playlists, media ratings etc.

Please have this implemented.

Thanks for your confirmation... but for when is it planned? I'm asking because the last panning was announced +2 years ago.(!) And there are a lot of requests of this very important feature.

And for the meantime: how can I copy the required data from my old to my new phone manually while "folders.db" doesn't exist (as described above; and it really does not; it's no visibility issue with OS etc...).

Where is e.g. the "rating information" stored? Or with other words: from where took an app like Titanium that information from a rooted phone? (...And no, I cannot use Titanium because the new phone is _not_ rooted. But the backup via Titanium was working for that old phone with the required Poweramp settings in the past.) Or can you recommend another backup-Software which is able to took the setting information of Poweramp and is working on a rooted and a not rooted phone?

I need a solution for this. I paid for this application... and it's useless when you cannot transfer those data between phones.

I'll appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance!

Cheers

-- 

Jens

• 4 weeks later...

And for the meantime: how can I copy the required data from my old to my new phone manually while "folders.db" doesn't exist (as described above; and it really does not; it's no visibility issue with OS etc...).

Oh yes, the folders.db (just the EQ settings) does exist, but you need root access and a root browser being able to access to the system folder. I don't know anyone for free doing that.

I'm using FX root plus (=file explorer root plus).

The ratings/sync issue is the reason I stopped using Poweramp.  A shame, too... seems like such a simple feature to add.  The separate Poweramp dbs holding playlists, ratings, etc. is a PITA.  That should be an optional thing.  Every few months I check back in to see if they have added the embedded ratings functionality... but it's about time to stop even doing that I guess. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yes, the folders.db (just the EQ settings) does exist, but you need root access and a root browser being able to access to the system folder. I don't know anyone for free doing that.

I'm using FX root plus (=file explorer root plus).

Okay, ...I agree! ;-) => I installed FX + Root Add-On on my old (rooted) phone and copied the whole database folder to my new (not rooted) phone. Unfortunately, but as I assumed.., this action was completely useless because I don't have neither the EQ settings nor any other wanted information in place for my current installation of this bad investment (app). :-/

Anyway: FX explorer is very useful - thank you for this hint!

• 1 month later...

I'd like an update on this as well.

It seems like Poweramp doesn't expect that anyone will ever get a new phone or have any need to move ratings over. I got a new phone 6 months ago and had to re-rate all of my songs on the new one. The new phone died and I just got a new one the other day, now I have to go through and rate all the songs again. This is a huge inconvenience and I won't be using Poweramp after this if I'm expected to do this everytime I switch phones.

An expected implementation date would be nice to see, otherwsie it feels like we're just being told what we want to hear and should have no expectation to ever see it.

Max mp, could you please just add this basic and straightforward feature. This feature does not require extensive development testing and can be released to the public even if it has bugs

The ability to Backup and Import all Poweramp settings (incluidng EQ, playlists etc) is very doable and should no take an overly ridiculous 2 years delay to implement.

Even Mx Player (video player app) has the Backup feature very nicely implemented for backing-up 'settings' and 'activity' separately or together, see here;- https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mx-videoplayer/0ygJYgjGZT8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am a PAID user. Just bought a Samsung Verizon S5. There is no root for this device and there may never be one. I have invested 100s of hours to establish ratings and EQ settings for over 2,000 songs meticulously created on my rooted Droid Bionic. I absolutely don't understand why there is no way to move all of this work to a new non-rooted phone. How could such a well-featured player have overlooked such a rudimentary feature or assumed that only rooted devices can provide full enjoyment of the product! Why is this not an immediate priority when so many have asked for it?

Ratings are not brought forward as I was hoping for. Wondering is perhaps the sdcard name being different is causing the disconnect? My new Samsung S5 uses extSdCard instead of sdcard1. If this is the problem then the import export facility needs to account for it by exporting the sdcard pathname a and having the import function pickup that variable on the new device and substituting it.

Thank you for the clarification. Sounds like it's still a wait for v3.0 or for a root solution for my new Samsung S5. Assuming I can root my S5 it is still not clear if using Titanium BU to restore will reassociate ratings to songs where the path on the new device is slightly different because of the different naming of the sdcard. Anyone have experience with that issue?

• 3 weeks later...

Looks again like no movement on this essential feature. I was a huge supporter of this player until being shut out of all my ratings and equalizer adjustments I worked so hard to create on my last phone. I beg anyone who cares at Poweramp to make good on the promise of a solution so that I can bring forward all of my hard work. I know there are a lot of us out there on Samsung s4s and s5s who can not root our new phones and are lost without all the rating info that we especially prized with Power Amp. Can't anyone PLEASE see fit to help??????

While it doesn't help you now, there are lots of ways to root Galaxy S4 and S5 phones over on XDA.

I don't know Max's timeline for implementing writing of star ratings directly into MP3 file tags, but IMHO that would be the best long-term answer. Any independent database solution stands the risk of getting lost during upgrades, re-installs, etc.

Andre

• 8 months later...

Anything new to report in this area? My S5 can now be rooted but seems like there is still nothing on the horizon for moving my ratings and EQ setting forward from my older Droid. Just checking in after several months have passed to see if Version 3 is imminent or there is another way to migrate my ratings and/or EQ settings.

• 1 year later...

Note that the Export feature only exports Settings and EQ, it does not export downloaded cover art, playlists, or song ratings. Playlists do have their own export feature (which converts all internal playlists to .M3U8 file-based playlists, so not quite the same as a database backup, but it does the job). There is currently no way to export ratings and downloaded art though. (Max: adding the oft-requested read-write ratings to ID3 file tags option would solve that part of the problem completely)

Andre

15 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

(Max: adding the oft-requested read-write ratings to ID3 file tags option would solve that part of the problem completely)

Unfortunately, no. Poweramp supports few formats which have no notion of rating. Some tag formats are readonly (mka). But ratings are supported globally in PA. So, full ratings export will never work for each use case and database based ratings are more viable.. until you want your ratings on other device or/and after full reset.

As for for album art backup, as cache can be quite large, I see this as a job for backup apps, but I may be add some in-app instructions to make it more obvious and easy (e.g. show the folder where cache is stored - which is not deleted with Poweramp and is located in <primary storage>/Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer folder).

Saving ratings to (and reloading them from) file tags is one of the most requested features on the forums (possibly the most requested now that Album Artist tags are supported in fact). If PA can support writing ID3 tags at all (which it does) can optionally writing at least a basic POPM tag (with or without the email matching feature) be too difficult? Only to files that support ID3 tags of course, I'm sure people would understand that there may be esoteric formats that it won't work with, but the vast majority would be better than nothing.

(I believe user TheoKlink is already writing the tags back to ID3 tags via his Playlist Manager app, but of course that doesn't solve getting them back into PA later after a re-install)

http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/8149-export-rating-store-rating-in-tags

http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/4502-rating-from-id3-tag

http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/3023-save-ratingcover-in-file

http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/7763-updating-Poweramp-rating-last-played-times-played-help-needed

Of course then iTunes compatibility (or complete lack thereof) and WMP and MediaMonkey/etc playing slightly differently too, complicate matters still further, but surely there must be some sort of workable solution for the majority of cases.

Andre

• 3 weeks later...

Archived