SMB support

ego42

Hi,

many video players on Google Play support browsing shared network media via the SMB protocol though I have yet to find a music player capable of the same. Would it be possible to add basic SMB support into Poweramp? I understand it would be a problem with the current media scanner philosophy when applied to huge music libraries but I'm sure the file browser could be simplified to make it useful on big networked libraries too..

Thanks

Petr

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I second this request.

The ES File Explorer can map NAS shares via SMB, and its built-in player can play FLAC, et al., audio, but it's a very simplistic interface that doesn't read tag metadata.

Be the first to add support for network shares and you've got a sale.

Some users were successful with smb mounted via cifs as just some folder, which is checked in Poweramp Music Folders dialog. Though, as Poweramp needs to scan the song tags, it can take time for a scanning.

There are plans to add DNLA support, which does almost the same, but doesn't require such scanning and works better with various AV equipment.

Thanks!

Mounting via CIFS is not an option. Just imagine the time it would take each time to scan a 300 GB music library, that's just ridiculous.

SMB browsing needs to eliminate all pre-scanning and needs to operate like a file browser only scanning the folder that is currently open (without subfolders).

In fact, that's one thing that Poweramp doesn't do well (or at all, in fact).

It would be great to have a simple "browse to any file and play" option, which would cover all sorts of useful things such as file shares, playing music from someone else's memory card or USB stick, and other odd things you don't want in the library.

I would suggest that the default action at end of such playback would be to play the next (compatible) file in the same folder. Poweramp could handle this easily by scanning the folder where the new file is located and building a temporary playlist for it (which would be removed when the user exits).

Andre

• 2 months later...

Mounting via CIFS is not an option. Just imagine the time it would take each time to scan a 300 GB music library, that's just ridiculous.

SMB browsing needs to eliminate all pre-scanning and needs to operate like a file browser only scanning the folder that is currently open (without subfolders).

Sure it's an option. At one point Poweramp had a full directory requestor, and I did this all the time. Then they changed it to filter most directories for people that don't understand computers. I just wish they add the options back to remove the stinking filter!

There are plans to add DNLA support, which does almost the same, but doesn't require such scanning and works better with various AV equipment.

I've used DLNA devices, and none work well as music players. Just give us back an option to show all directories, please.

• 2 months later...

I would suggest that the default action at end of such playback would be to play the next (compatible) file in the same folder. Poweramp could handle this easily by scanning the folder where the new file is located and building a temporary playlist for it (which would be removed when the user exits).

Yes, please! This would enable me to play Music directly from my WiFi Harddisk via SMB (Intenso Memory 2 Move, which supports SMB, but not DLNA or UPNP).

Please add SMB support!

Other Media Players like XenoAmp or Neutron Music Player already have this. Even ES MediaPlayer (part of ES File Explorer) supports music streaming via SMB.

Whilst SMB is not something that interests me (battery life on my phone is not fantastic), one easy way round this might be to keep everything as it is from a library perspective but maybe add a new option "Play from file system" which allows you to browse files (like any file manager) and then play a file/directory/directory structure without adding it to the library and thus without requiring scanning and without issues about device availability.

add a new option "Play from file system" which allows you to browse files (like any file manager) and then play a file/directory/directory structure without adding it to the library and thus without requiring scanning and without issues about device availability.

Yes, that would be perfect. It is already possible to play one-off music files from a source which may not be located in your MusicFolders location and which don't want added to the Library (via any File Explorer type app) but it would be nice if that could be extended to playing a one-off folder too, and also allowing for files that are not on the local Android file system too.

Andre

• 1 year later...

Although this is an old thread, I have just completed additional functionality in my app "New Playlist Manager" :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flyingdutchman.newplaylistmanager&hl=en

which allows you to create smb playlists. Poweramp can not play these but other players sich as Xenoamp do. My app connects to your share and allows you to browse the folders within. You can either add folders or tracks to the playlist.

ES File Explorer is also able to play this playlist so not sure why Poweramp can not step up to the mark. Should be fairly easy I think.

Version 3 is currently in Beta testing and will be released in the next few weeks

Archived