Can't ChromeCast from Poweramp

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I just tested with my Onkyo NR-555 amp and got the same problem (PA cursor moves a bit for a few seconds, then jumps back, and no audio output). I updated the amp's firmware and it's working fine now, might be worth giving that a try?

Andre

Turns out my Onkyo did have an update out too it's updating now will let you know if that one works once complete 😊 

16 minutes ago, Jeffreydow said:

Turns out my Onkyo did have an update out too it's updating now will let you know if that one works once complete 😊 

OK no difference on my Onkyo either chromecast works for deezer etc but not Poweramp 

Just now, Jeffreydow said:

OK no difference on my Onkyo either chromecast works for deezer etc but not Poweramp 

While I'm am it onkyo built-in chromecast is rubbish can't even pure audio mode lol what a lot of gimmicky garbage id rather a stand alone chromecast any day. 

13 hours ago, Jeffreydow said:

While I'm am it onkyo built-in chromecast is rubbish 

That is certainly true. Very slow and clunky to connect and play.

Glad you got it sorted, there are so many subsystems that get these things to talk to each other that sometimes they just stop interacting properly.

One difference between PA and Deezer/Spotify/etc is that PA plays local files, so it has to send all the actual binary audio data across the wi-fi connection from your phone to the Chromecast output box. Streaming services don't work that way, they simply inform the Chromecast device where the content should be streamed from and it then goes are fetches the online music directly; the phone is bypassed, it simply acts as a remote control.

Andre

Still no resolution to the current casting issue. We had this issue crop up quite awhile ago, but it was resolved and I could cast without issue, however it's not working at all now. It seems to connect with an audible ding, but it won't play any music and the track counter ticks forward a few seconds and the glitches back repeatedly. Bandwidth has never been an issue before in my network. It definitely seems a Poweramp issue. 

11 hours ago, AC42 said:

Still no resolution to the current casting issue. We had this issue crop up quite awhile ago, but it was resolved and I could cast without issue, however it's not working at all now. It seems to connect with an audible ding, but it won't play any music and the track counter ticks forward a few seconds and the glitches back repeatedly. Bandwidth has never been an issue before in my network. It definitely seems a Poweramp issue. 

Yep we are having the same issues I am going to downgrade all my google play services and google home apps later or soon and fresh install of PA because my factory reset worked for just under a week or some thing now it's bung again lol on multiple devices so it's a phone and PA app or other system software  issue I'm convinced but I'm on the nod now so will try jn a few hours and report back guys 

This (where Poweramp connects to a device and then doesn't play, the progress bar just ticks forward a couple of seconds and then snaps back) has been happening to me for ages (years now). It occurs across many devices and Android versions, which includes Play system updates.

I have tried killing off various services to see if any particular one fixes the issue, without success. The only thing that works reliably is to reboot the device, sadly.

All my devices have been Google Nexus or Pixel devices.

I don't cast from other apps very often, but I have never had another fail like this. Even when Poweramp is failing, I can open YouTube music or other apps and cast successfully.

It's been sometime since I tested, but I believe that when this occurs, I can cast from Poweramp on another device (also a Pixel) successfully, but I'll try to confirm that again the next time this happens.

I have Ubiquity UniFi networking gear here (a separate router and WiFi access point). But I don't believe this is caused by the network hardware because of it working from another device with Poweramp at the same time as it fails on my main device, as well as the reliable fix of rebooting the failing device.

So, I ended up clearing the app cache and app data, clearing my phone's RAM, uninstalling Poweramp, rebooting my phone and then reinstalling it again seems to have fixed it for me. I did experience one short glitch, but then it recovered and has since been working fine. Hallelujah! Hope the issue doesn't reappear again. 

I did try exporting the app settings before the uninstall, so I wouldn't have to go through the long process of configuring the app and EQ custom presets again, however when I tried to import the settings from the export file it failed. Oh well.

On 8/21/2022 at 6:28 AM, maxmp said:

@tmz my local network is unifi based and Poweramp + Chromecast works just fine, though if Client Device Isolation option is enabled for the wifi network, Chromecast won’t work reliable/completely.

OK so from what I understood of that my router settings might have broken its ability to full connect/function will hard reset my router see what happens although a hard/factory reset of phone is all that worked for me so far and lasted less than a week lol a router reset is much less time consuming I'm gunner do it. 

Well that made no difference neither did another reset of the google home app or factory reset of the chromecast and everything else works casting Im lost @maxmp a factory reset was the only thing that worked for me for less than a week which makes me wonder if I installed something or changed a setting without realising or restored some settings from a samsung cloud back up that screws is although I'd have thought if it was from a backup it would have broken it as soon as I finished setting up so has to be system or developer settings I've changed since a fresh install or some other app playing God with things and interfering but I have no clue what might have to try do I logcat for you in the next few days don't think I need root just adb yeah? What other info could help I can give you bud. Kind regards Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've been searching for a solution to this problem, too.

However, I'm not a PA user, I use NP (Neutron Player), so it seems that we all have the same problem despite using different media players.

To me there's nothing wrong with PA or NP. My guess, as I think someone suggested earlier, is that the problem lies with GOOGLE, screwing up a CHROMECAST Firmware update, because despite us using different media players the problem appears to be the same.

I, too, had a similar problem months ago, but it suddenly started working again, until a couple of weeks ago.

My workaround for this problem is to use Smart View on my SAMSUNG (Screen Mirroring). Not as good or as a reliable connection to the normal way, when that works, but what else can we do?

Anyway, I just thought it might help by passing on my experience to you guys.

If I find any solution I'll post back here so you can check if it works for PA.

On 5/30/2022 at 9:07 AM, Don_broco said:

@andrewilley 

* I am able to click "cast" in Power Amp

* Power Amp thinks it is casting (allows to click stop, to control volume)

* But there is no "Ding" connection sound from Chrome Cast speaker as usual, and no output from Chrome Cast speaker

* After ~ 30-secs - 1 minute, Power Amp disconnects from Chrome Cast Audio, and Chrome Cast Audio makes a disconnection "Dong".

This started happening this morning.

All other "castable" apps working fine

Casting is down again this morning

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all, problem is back...

Samsung S20 FE 5G, Android 12, One UI 4.1

Poweramp build-945-bundle-play [945004-2d535bbf] Full Version 64 bit

Since the latest Poweramp update (build 945) the app is not able to cast via Google Chromecast to my TV while other players like VLC and BlackPlayer work fine.

I open the player, try to cast and there's no sound, no album art and the cursor is stuck.

I'm on the paid version, both Poweramp and Unlocker are set to non-restricted battery usage, WiFi is at 2.4, clicked on Restored to Default for every audio setting within the Poweramp app, I have reinstalled both, cleared cache, reinstalled also Google Home and Assistant to not avail.

I have tried WiFi 5.8, same results. Some friends tried to cast with other phones and it works fine except for Poweramp!!!

Problem is with Poweramp as I have mentioned, other apps are working fine.

I'm getting very laggy output too. Initially, audio is 30+ seconds behind what I do in Poweramp, but it seems to settle down after a bit. Now it's started to putput mainly from the phone speaker, with brief portions suddenly going to the Chromecast. Not sure if this is the same issue though. @maxmp is this something you are aware of, or would you like some logs? (Samsung A70, Android 11)

Andre