Can't ChromeCast from Poweramp

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@maxmp how is the playback to Chromecast working? Is it so that Poweramp tells the Chromecast to download a Poweramp media receiver before the playback starts? Or what's the server that previously had a SSL issue and now some other issues after a kernel update?

14 hours ago, maxmp said:

@6b6561 at the moment all server issues seems to be resolved.

I know, good work. The question was more to understand what happens and what components are involved when I cast something from Poweramp to a Chromecast device.

Hi,
I still have the same problem with my Galaxy Note+  but my other samsung phone works fine???

Same android version 12, kernel 4.14.190, PA build-939.

- I am able to click "cast" in Power Amp

I get the  "Ding" connection sound from Chrome Cast speaker as usual, and no output from Chrome Cast speaker!

- Power Amp thinks it is casting, allows to control volume play/stop, next and previous, it even displays the song tags if I cast on TV

- no sound on Chrome Cast speaker and the PA progress bar comes back every 3 seconds.

- all other apps can cast of that same device.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this issue too, it's at least three months that I can't play anything with Google Cast, presenting in a similar way to @Bruno Lebel.

It happens with different codecs (flac, mp3, opus) and on different devices, these are the ones I tested:

• Chromecast 1st gen
  • Chromecast Audio
  • Chromecast with Google TV

My tests were done with a Pixel 2 XL and an old Huawei, both with Android 11 and updated Poweramp. I also tried to read Poweramp's log (from Send Log via Email) but I saw nothing interesting as far as I can tell.

I'm thinking there are two separate problems here because for me the situation never changed, as it would if the problem was server-side. I can try and setup ADB to collect some logcat, but I'll need guidance

Although in theory it shouldn't matter, try switching both the CCs and your phone's wifi connection to the 5Ghz band from your router rather than 2.4. What does the Output section in PA's Audio Info display show? Does adjusting the Sample Rate/Format in PA Settings=>Audio=>Output=>Chromecast Output help? Otherwise logs would indeed be helpful.

Andre

On 6/19/2022 at 12:08 PM, andrewilley said:

Although in theory it shouldn't matter, try switching both the CCs and your phone's wifi connection to the 5Ghz band from your router rather than 2.4. What does the Output section in PA's Audio Info display show? Does adjusting the Sample Rate/Format in PA Settings=>Audio=>Output=>Chromecast Output help? Otherwise logs would indeed be helpful.

Andre

Right now I'm away from home and I won't be able to try until Friday, however I remember playing with the sample rate and bit format without success. Also if I remember correctly, the Google TV Chromecast is connected to my 5GHz network while the others are on 2.4GHz. I don't know which network my phone was on because I use them interchangeably based on the room.

What made you think it could be a problem of Wifi band? Did you have any problems?

• 1 month later...

The issue is back for me. I can cast to my TV (vizio) and the album image shows on the screen but the sound will only come out if I use the TV speakers and not my JBL 9.1 soundbar. I cannot cast to the soundbar directly. I have Uninstaller and reinstalled Google home. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Poweramp..

Any help would be appreciated! @maxmp

My Poweramp is completely broken with any chromecast device can cast with anything else video or music but Poweramp won't connect to any cast devices not the ultra not the onkyo built in audio only one or Google hub I'm running latest beta uninstalled reinstalled made no difference sorry I know it's gone over plenty and I'm sure a fix is coming just letting you know it's broken again because it did look fixed for a few a month or so ago! Cheers Max thanks for this amazing app. Looks like it's constantly buffering on the phone and nothing happens at all on chromecast screen loads most of the Poweramp elements except album art sometimes and just sits there not moving

Yeah sorry that was very vague of me oops samsung s22+ snapdragon model sm-s906e Australia latest July/august firmware updated today bud (Android 12), I have onkyo av built in audio chromecast, google hub with full chromecast abilities and a chromecast ultra it won't work on any of them. Shows up but doesn't play just sits stalled counter not moving and no sound Poweramp screen on phone occasionally moves a few seconds  then jumps back to beginning again. I've screen shot all info provided at time of casting from holding down the audio info button on now playing screen hopefully that's more useful. 

On 7/30/2022 at 11:46 PM, andrewilley said:

@Jeffreydow Could you provide more details of your device and the Chromecast version(s).  What does Settings>Audio>Audio Info show while attempting to cast?

It works fine for me on Samsung A70, Android 11, with first gen Chromecast dongle and/or Onkyo amp interface.

image.png

Andre

Screenshot_20220803-175435_Poweramp.jpg

Edited by Jeffreydow

7 minutes ago, Jeffreydow said:

Yeah sorry that was very vague of me oops samsung s22+ snapdragon model sm-s906e Australia latest July/august firmware updated today bud, I have onkyo av built in audio chromecast, google hub with full chromecast abilities and a chromecast ultra it won't work on any of them. Shows up but doesn't play just sits stalled counter not moving and no sound Poweramp screen on phone occasionally moves a few seconds  then jumps back to beginning again. I've screen shot all info provided at time of casting from holding down the audio info button on now playing screen hopefully that's more useful. 

Screenshot_20220803-175435_Poweramp.jpg

Here's a short screen capture if it's not too big. 

7 hours ago, andrewilley said:

To start with, try setting the Chromecast output menu back to its default options (Settings=>Audio=>Output>Chromecast=>Restore Defaults) as you seem to have got high-res enabled for some reason. CC normally uses 48kHz I think.

Andre

Tried that mate no go unfortunately, thanks for such a quick response evwn though I was 7 hours getting back to you! I have actually cleared all data and did a fresh install too but no luck either. Next step I might try is a few older versions, I couldn't honestly say when it stopped working I am the type to constantly fiddle with settings too so I could have broken anything 😂 

I'm about done with the current lag of the phone in general so might be time for a factory reset but with over 10k songs on my phone internal storage and mtp being the slow junk transfer protocol it is it's a painful experience putting all my music back on to the phone. The main reason I miss sd cards and a decent usb card reader 😔 

Edited by Jeffreydow

I feel like it's google breaking things if I'm being honest because it's not working on any chromecast device yet it had done it at some point fine since the last beta play store release so even though I've probably fiddled with things it's unlikely having never happened before that it's something I've broken or wrong with Poweramp, I'm not even pissed just curious because I do miss the feature but my love of this app will never die, nothing comes close to its features once you've used it for a while and I've been using as long as I've been on Android and it's almost never had any major bugs even with massive updates which is a testament to the developers quality work 😊