Can't ChromeCast from Poweramp

2 hours ago, MotleyG said:

I’m pretty sure this has already been discussed. Clearly with no update or changes to the Poweramp app the service has worked and then not worked. The only influence is from the Google server side for Chromecast. So when Google stabilizes that, Poweramp works as expected for Chromecast. This isn’t speculation or blame, just reality.

But this is really not the main design intent of Poweramp. It is a music player developed for playing back local audio files with high quality, using the device itself to headphones and other connected devices. If your main use is primarily with Chromecast, and you aren’t happy with the results, perhaps another app is actually better suited for your needs.

@maxmp If the connection quality of Chromecast from Poweramp is influenced by trying to maintain a higher bandwidth than other apps that seem more stable, perhaps there is some merit to have a user choice between good/better/best sound quality that can offset the inverse connection quality? And make “Good” the default to ensure the best connection quality is preferred. I would think there is a concession to be made here considering that CC is typically more about the convenience versus absolute sound quality with most CC devices. And for those that prefer quality over anything else, they can choose to select that option knowing it can affect the connection.

Have to agree it's gotta be a Google mess because like you have said no app updates and still intermittent problems for some, thankfully I'm really stable atm have been for a while but my backup is vlc just for that one purpose if this fails 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe even an option to use Googles default web receiver, that would eliminate the need of Max hosting a custom web receiver. 

https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/web_receiver

@MotleyG the good old Chromecast audio was a surprisingly good streamer, as it has a optical out and you can hand over the PCM stream to your amplifier and let it handle the D/A part. I have a DLNA server where I have flac images of CD and use Hi-Fi Cast to cast the images to the CA. This gives the same audio quality as a CD player with optical out.

22 minutes ago, 6b6561 said:

@MotleyG the good old Chromecast audio was a surprisingly good streamer, as it has a optical out and you can hand over the PCM stream to your amplifier and let it handle the D/A part. I have a DLNA server where I have flac images of CD and use Hi-Fi Cast to cast the images to the CA. This gives the same audio quality as a CD player with optical out.

I did say that "typically" it more about convenience. :)  If higher quality is preferred, then there is the caveat that it could mean some other influences could impact playback. But for those that are comparing how Poweramp manages CC versus other players, then my suggestion was merely to have an option to mirror that level of playback function.

• 2 weeks later...

Important update:

I recovered an old phone that I didn't use for a year at least, so all the apps were outdated. It also had an old Poweramp build (build 911), and when I tried to cast what did I discover? Casting works perfectly everywhere! I tried opus, flac (mp3 not yet) and three different devices (Chromecast Audio, Home Mini and the 1st Google TV).

Now I'm sorry to be blunt, but after more than a year of being told that it's Google's fault, discovering this is very frustrating. That an old build of Poweramp works perfectly whereas the current one never does leaves no excuses, the problem is somewhere in the app's code. I believe this information could help pinpoint the responsible update and correct the bug, but I won't get my hopes up...

@43Michele Of course everything else on the phone is also old, possibly including the Android version and Google apps (not just Poweramp) so there's no way to compare it to a more modern device. Also is it the same make and model of phone, with the same hardware and firmeware?

What would be interesting would be to see what happens if you update only Poweramp to build 945, but leave everything else as it is - i.e. turn off all background Google updates.

Andre

Tried casting using Poweramp today for the first time in 3 or 4 weeks...It was fine earlier in December. Now.. Constantly drops connection after 10-20 seconds... So frustrating.

Would be easy to blame Google (especially with their current roll out of the new Google Home app) if it wasn't for the fact that VLC And Hifi-Cast are working perfectly... As others have said, would prefer to use Poweramp but at the moment pretty much impossible. It's a shame.

On 12/31/2022 at 3:36 PM, kdhuk said:

Tried casting using Poweramp today for the first time in 3 or 4 weeks...It was fine earlier in December. Now.. Constantly drops connection after 10-20 seconds... So frustrating.

Would be easy to blame Google (especially with their current roll out of the new Google Home app) if it wasn't for the fact that VLC And Hifi-Cast are working perfectly... As others have said, would prefer to use Poweramp but at the moment pretty much impossible. It's a shame.

Having investigated this further I think my problem may well be restricted to one particular device (with inferior specs to the other) and/or use of the new public preview Google Home app ..... I'll keep the investigations ongoing

Still having this bug 6 months after first fail.

Phone: Google Pixel 6. I think it may have started to fail when my Device upgraded from Android 12 to Android 13. Not sure.

All my others Media Player chromecast habilities are OK.

Tried factory reset / app uninstall / even installed Poweramp build v911, build v822 without success.

I have 3000+ lines of logcat android logs that may contain error messages related to this bug. Where can I send it more privately that here ? Private message ? support email ? at first glance, there is some usefull informations like :

2023-01-05 14:27:13.337 17237-17237/? I/DynamiteModule: Considering local module com.google.android.gms.cast.framework.dynamite:0 and remote module com.google.android.gms.cast.framework.dynamite:226
2023-01-05 14:27:13.348 1494-1494/? W/MR2ServiceImpl: Ignoring session creation result for unknown request. uniqueRequestId=0, sessionInfo=RoutingSessionInfo{ sessionId=com.google.android.gms/.cast.media.CastMediaRoute2ProviderService_Persistent:3906375e-696b-4775-8ecc-xxxx, name=Salle TV, clientPackageName=com.maxmpz.audioplayer.unlock, selectedRoutes={com.google.android.gms/.cast.media.CastMediaRoute2ProviderService_Persistent:xxxxx}, selectableRoutes={}, deselectableRoutes={}, transferableRoutes={}, volumeHandling=0, volumeMax=50, volume=0 }
2023-01-05 14:27:13.350 28972-29019/? W/LocalMediaManager: BluetoothAdapter is null or muting expected device not exist
2023-01-05 14:27:13.351 1759-1803/? D/MediaDeviceManager: Can not get LocalBluetoothLeBroadcast
2023-01-05 14:27:13.474 4382-20725/? W/CDC|MRP|32: [controller-0032-gms_cast_mrp MRP] Ignoring message. Namespace 'urn:x-cast:com.google.cast.tp.deviceauth' has not been registered.
2023-01-05 14:27:13.479 1494-1494/? W/MR2ServiceImpl: onSessionInfoChangedOnHandler: No matching router found for session=RoutingSessionInfo{ sessionId=com.google.android.gms/.cast.media.CastMediaRoute2ProviderService_Persistent:3906375e-696b-4775-8ecc-xxxx, name=Salle TV, clientPackageName=com.maxmpz.audioplayer.unlock, selectedRoutes={com.google.android.gms/.cast.media.CastMediaRoute2ProviderService_Persistent:xxxx}, selectableRoutes={}, deselectableRoutes={}, transferableRoutes={}, volumeHandling=1, volumeMax=50, volume=0 }
2023-01-05 14:27:13.488 4382-20725/? W/CDC|API|33: [controller-0033-com.maxmpz.audioplayer API] Ignoring message. Namespace 'urn:x-cast:com.google.cast.tp.deviceauth' has not been registered.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2023 at 12:23 PM, kdhuk said:

Having investigated this further I think my problem may well be restricted to one particular device (with inferior specs to the other) and/or use of the new public preview Google Home app ..... I'll keep the investigations ongoing

I've had an Android update on this device (Nokia T20 tablet Android 12 build no. 00WW_2_310) and the issue is now resolved. Poweramp casting normally.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else having the problem, that often, eg after stopping and playing a new track, CCA continues the old one? Or skipping forward shows no reaction?

Reaction may happen after many seconds. Also remarkable: In such a situation, after I stop and press play again, it stops by itself immediately. Then I press play a second time and now it plays the track. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2022 at 8:47 AM, andrewilley said:

@richteratmosphere Just tried mine, and also not working. I'm using a Samsung A70, Android 11, Poweramp 933, to a gen 1 Chromecast dongle. Casting the whole device screen works fine, but casting from PA results in the CC output screen initially going black, but it stays that way and there's no audio. PA's seekbar seems to be trying to move then it jumps back a couple of seconds, and loops like that; counter remains static. 

Andre

It's been over a year and everyone is still having this same issue, any chance it will be fixed in the near future? It's simply very frustrating not to be able to use Poweramp anymore

On 4/28/2023 at 4:33 PM, andrewilley said:

Please could you describe in detail exactly what issue you are experiencing, as clearly "everyone" is not still having this issue.

Andre

It's the same identical issue in the post I quoted, casting from PA results in the seekbar moving forward 2 or 3 seconds and looping without playing anything. It's the same issue reported many (many) more times here and on Google Play reviews.

23 minutes ago, ned95 said:

It's the same identical issue in the post I quoted, casting from PA results in the seekbar moving forward 2 or 3 seconds and looping without playing anything. It's the same issue reported many (many) more times here and on Google Play reviews.

I've found that there are a number of variables that have to be right for casting to work on any app and speaker set up consistently well. Poweramp is reasonably unusual in that it is playing files from your device rather than telling your speakers where to get the source files from on the wider internet. Does the HiFi-Cast app have the same problem I wonder?

Ideally a decent internet connection tied to a good mesh network if you're casting to multiroom speakers around the house and you're wandering around it with your casting device. The same WiFi name throughout the house on both 2.4 and 5 gHz networks helps too.

Your chromecast output device is reasonably up to date with fairly new firmware - for instance I have connection problems occasionally with an aging AVReceiver with Chromecast built in.

Lastly the casting device that you have Poweramp installed on is not on old version of Android and has a decent up to date specs. Your device has to be fast enough to play files on it and send the transcoded signal into your WiFi network  for Poweramp to cast properly.

It would be useful if you could let MaxMp know some of the details of your setup to diagnose the problem?

Edited by kdhuk

@ned95 The problem seems to be reliably replicating this issue, which was originally caused by some server settings that needed updating, but it 's been working fine for most people after that.

I've just listened to half a dozen songs on my TV using a first-gen Chromecast dongle sent from my Galaxy A70 (Android 11) and it's working fine:

image.png

image.png

Andre

• 2 months later...