Can't ChromeCast from Poweramp

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My old gen1 CC is on 1.36.159268. My Onkyo amp is 1.36.145856. But I don't think that's the issue, this all started happening at one time for a lot of people with different Android versions, Google app versions, PA builds. So I doubt any given update has caused this, I think it's going to be server-side.

@Squeller There is nothing you are supposed to do at the moment, it's not fixable until the problem has been identified. 

Andre

Same issue here.

A temporary workaround is to use "Google Home", select the device you normally chromecast to, and select "Play all audio on this device". Then launch Poweramp. But the sound is really poor quality compared to regular chromecast. Hope it's fixed rapidly.

58 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

So I doubt any given update has caused this, I think it's going to be server-side.

a bit off topic, but: did CCA always need internet connection to google servers or was it introduced in past via firmware update? Can connection to google servers be disabled (aka offline mode enabled)?

Edited by Berg

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

My old gen1 CC is on 1.36.159268. My Onkyo amp is 1.36.145856. But I don't think that's the issue, this all started happening at one time for a lot of people with different Android versions, Google app versions, PA builds. So I doubt any given update has caused this, I think it's going to be server-side.

@Squeller There is nothing you are supposed to do at the moment, it's not fixable until the problem has been identified. 

Andre

If I remember correctly, Poweramp connects to CC in a different way then most applications do. For example when the Spotify app connects to a CC, the CC itself connects to the Spotify server and streams the music directly from there. There is no ongoing connection with the phone. I believe that in the case of Poweramp Max programmed it in a way that Poweramp acts as a server and the phone itself stays connected to the CC when streaming music tot the CC. This makes EQ, gapless playback, etc. possible. This is the only real difference I can think of that could explain why Poweramp stopped working and other applications still work. As this thread clearly states, and mentioned by Andre, this has nothing to do with the version of Andoid, phone, Poweramp updates or the CC hardware. Quite a few of us tried everything, different hardware and versions of Poweramp included, and nothing works. 

Maybe Google changed something server wise and now the CC somehow can't verify Poweramp as being the server or simply doesn't allow local devices to act as the source for the CC anymore.  

THank you @maxmp for looking into this. It's appreciated. Poweramp is the main source for streaming my music to any room in the house and therefore I use it daily. No other music app is able to fill this void. I tried them all and there just isn't a decent alternative. Thnx for everything!

4 minutes ago, Mr. Make Believe said:

If I remember correctly, Poweramp connects to CC in a different way then most applications do. For example when the Spotify app connects to a CC, the CC itself connects to the Spotify server and streams the music directly from there. There is no ongoing connection with the phone. I believe that in the case of Poweramp Max programmed it in a way that Poweramp acts as a server and the phone itself stays connected to the CC when streaming music tot the CC. This makes EQ, gapless playback, etc. possible.

Also keep in mind that PA is sending data from your phone's local audio files to CCA. This must go through your network from your phone at all times, there is no server-side to control or feed separately in this case.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Make Believe said:

If I remember correctly, Poweramp connects to CC in a different way then most applications do. For example when the Spotify app connects to a CC, the CC itself connects to the Spotify server and streams the music directly from there.

True for Spotify. But other apps like HIFI Cast should behave the same was as PA - they should also act as a server, as they are streaming local content and a remote content like Spotify..

I think HiFi-cast actually acts as a server which serves a file which is pulled by the Chromecast device. While Poweramp streams a PCM stream to the Chromecast device.

Neutron Player seems to also stream a PCM stream to the Chromecast. I did just install Neutron Player as a test and it worked fine on my Samsung pad while it didn't work at all on my phone where it tried to find devices on the localhost network 127.0.0.1

@Mr. Make Believe @MotleyG Correct. In most cases, when playing Spotify, YouTube, etc to Chromecast, all the phone does is to tell the CC device what to play and the CC device then does all the legwork in fetching the content directly from the internet without any further involvement or data sent from the phone (other than to act as a remote control for pausing, skipping, volume, etc).

Local files are of course different, and all of the audio data must be sent from the phone to the CC device. However I think there is still an element of "phoning home" by the CC, it needs to access server data over the internet in order to perform a local stream. As far as I'm aware, PA sends a basically uncompressed (or minimally compressed?) EQ-processed stream, rather than simply passing the source MP3 or FLAC file directly to the CC device.

Is there anyone who happens to be looking at this thread for whom Chromecast streaming from Poweramp is working at the moment? There are three pages of error reports here, but Max indicated it currently seems to be working for him which seems strange and it'd be interesting to see if it's working for anyone else?

Andre

2 hours ago, 6b6561 said:

Click on the device in home -> Click on the "gear" for settings -> Unit information (freely translated from Swedish)

I wondered why I didn't have that, then realised the phone I used isn't set up for chromecast, got it now thanks. Version 1.56.281627

Hi everyone!

I was also casting music almost every day with Poweramp to my Nest Mini speakers (I've got 4 of them), and this Monday I immediately noticed that it didn't work... I thought at first that some update to Google Play Services or Nest Mini firmware must have caused it (Poweramp Android app hasn't changed for some months), but after reading here that other music apps that cast local files still work then I guess it must be something about Poweramp's code that got broken due to a server-side change by Google.

Volume control of the speaker still works through Poweramp, regardless of no "pling" sound and being unable to play music.

@maxmp

It casts for me now too, but with lots of intermittences (silent gaps, during which PA also seeks back few secs). No idea why..

Can we know how exactly casting works from PA to CCA (WIFI or does it go through internet)? What for is SSL certificate?

UPDATE: intermittences were because of my 2g WIFI, switching to 5g solved it. But even in the past I had some rare intermittences, so would be interesting to know what could cause them

Edited by Berg

1 hour ago, Berg said:

Can we know how exactly casting works from PA to CCA (WIFI or does it go through internet)? What for is SSL certificate?

UPDATE: intermittences were because of my 2g WIFI, switching to 5g solved it. But even in the past I had some rare intermittences, so would be interesting to know what could cause them

Once the CCA handshake is complete, the streaming should be local on your WiFi. But this is uncompressed, so very high bitrates depending on your set up. If you have a 5GHz band available it will allow for faster speeds, but less distance.

2 hours ago, Berg said:

It casts for me now too, but with lots of intermittences (silent gaps, during which PA also seeks back few secs). No idea why..

As you've said, switching to 5Ghz instead of 2.4GHz (for both your phone and the Chromecast device) will improve the data transfer speed, although possibly at the expense of reducing wifi range a bit.

The other thing you can try is increase the buffer size in Settings > Audio > Output > Chromecast, which can smooth out any connection delays.

SSL certificates are used to establish a secure encrypted connection between the device and the online servers. They are time limited though, so new ones need to be issued fairly regularly.

Andre