For adding features

Fuad Hasan

Hello Mr Alex, 

I want some features in Poweramp. I hope you consider adding it to Poweramp. 

1. Zap feature like Blackplayer ex

2. Recommended Songs/Song Suggestions 

3. Synchronised lyrics feature like oto music synchronised lyrics UI

4. Stats of total artist, total albums, total tracks in library 

5. Popular artists

6. Sorting options in playlist, Custom order in playlist

7. In Most played page, add three or more  sections as today, yesterday, this week, this month, this year

8. Dynamic favourite system where playlist can be added to favourite, artist can be added to favourite, album can be added to favourite

478420017_Screenshot_20220228-203125_SamsungMusic.thumb.jpg.5233df5eeea3d3e9d675ce8795fcdc33.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of these are down to Max to answer, but I can respond a bit in the meantime:

1. Zap feature like Blackplayer ex

Do you mean the play first 5-seconds of each track sampling feature?

2. Recommended Songs/Song Suggestions 

That's not really applicable or appropriate for an offline player, where all of you music is already curated and saved on your own device.

3. Synchronised lyrics feature like oto music synchronised lyrics UI

This is on the to-do list for implementing at some point in the future.

An overall music stats page might be a nice feature. Some aspects are already included in the current Categories - e.g. each Artist view will show you how many songs, total running time, etc.

5. Popular artists

If you have unpopular artists, why did you copy them to you phone? :) Currently the rating system is purely based per song (like any other tag) not per artist/album/folder/etc, but I guess it would be possible to show an aggregate value based on an average of all of the contained tracks?

6. Sorting options in playlist, Custom order in playlist

In any playlist, choose (menu) > Re-sort and you can sort the list any way you like. You can also manually move individual tracks around the playlist by dragging. For more advanced tasks, there are external playlist manager apps (e.g. New Playlist Manager).

7. In Most played page, add three or more  sections as today, yesterday, this week, this month, this year

So basically so the Recently Played list (if ordered by date) could be broken down into subsection groups like email programs do? So there would be subdivisions for how long ago a track was last played - Today, Yesterday, Last Week (covering the previous 7 days), Last Month (previous 30 days), etc. 

8. Dynamic favourite system where playlist can be added to favourite, artist can be added to favourite, album can be added to favourite

There has already been a suggestion for a new 'Favourites' category, into which you would be able to add any song, or entity (such as Folder, Album, Artist, Genre, etc), for quick access, with the ability to edit and reorder the list and view type. I believe this is on the to-do list too.

Andre

34 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

An overall music stats page might be a nice feature. Some aspects are already included in the current Categories - e.g. each Artist view will show you how many songs, total running time, etc.

This would be handy. Great for showing off to your friends! :)

@andrewilley 

Good to hear some of the features suggested are already on the to-do list. 

Here's my reply to your answers:

1. Do you mean the play first 5-seconds of each track sampling feature?

Not exactly. Poweramp will randomly pick  songs and will play specific part of the songs.. 

And In the settings, Poweramp will give us the opportunity to set how many seconds will be played and from which duration the track will be played. 

2. That's not really applicable or appropriate for an offline player, where all of you music is already curated and saved on your own device

Why that's not applicable?  You can show some songs based on the listened or non listened songs. I think this will help change music listening habit of people. 

5. If you have unpopular artists, why did you copy them to you phone? ( Good Question)

Actually everyone is popular. But I want Poweramp detect who is popular to me based on my listening. 

6.  You can also manually move individual tracks around the playlist by dragging. For more advanced tasks, there are external playlist manager apps (e.g. New Playlist Manager).

Actually, I want to customly arrange the playlist and then customly arrange the tracks inside the playlist. I think there is no option to customly arrange the playlist, there is option to customly arrange the tracks inside the playlist. 

7. Recently Played list (if ordered by date) could be broken down into subsection groups like email programs do? So there would be subdivisions for how long ago a track was last played - Today, Yesterday, Last Week (covering the previous 7 days), Last Month (previous 30 days), etc. 

Why not in the mostly played list?

On 2/28/2022 at 5:07 PM, andrewilley said:

I like the idea of this feature.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the suggested features are definitely going to materialize short-term, such as lrc lyrics support with appropriate UI.

Better song and categories stats ideas are floating in the air as well and is in longer term TODO list.

Some features are already there;-) Such as playlist Re-sorting.

• 2 months later...
On 3/1/2022 at 1:53 AM, Fuad Hasan said:

@andrewilley 

Do you mean the play first 5-seconds of each track sampling feature?

Not exactly. Poweramp will randomly pick  songs and will play specific part of the songs.. 

And In the settings, Poweramp will give us the opportunity to set how many seconds will be played and from which duration the track will be played. 

This would be a cool feature in PA. Zap feature in Black Player is ok but 5s is too short so I agree that there need to be setting to set for example, 1 minute or more of each song.

Edited by Mark89

20 hours ago, Mark89 said:

This would be a cool feature in PA. Zap feature in Black Player is ok but 5s is too short so I agree that there need to be setting to set for example, 1 minute or more of each song.

Not quite sure what is the usage case for such a feature on a player than only plays locally stored music files. While I can see the point with random music from an online/streaming source, why would you want to listen to 1 minute from each song from your own curated music collection? If I find I don't want to listen to something at this particular time - usually when shuffling all songs - I just press the >> (or swipe) to move on.

Andre

9 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Not quite sure what is the usage case for such a feature on a player than only plays locally stored music files. While I can see the point with random music from an online/streaming source, why would you want to listen to 1 minute from each song from your own curated music collection? If I find I don't want to listen to something at this particular time - usually when shuffling all songs - I just press the >> (or swipe) to move on.

Andre

Well, I can see many purposes. Altough I don't see this feature as "must have" but it would be nice to have Personal "Dj mix shuffle" :)

1. It's cool to have mix of whole music collection, so if you have many genres and you don't know which genre suits you at the momment, you mix all songs and see where journey will take you. 

2. If you have long duration songs collection, you can choose to listen only first chorus with this mix feature. 

3. I don't know if it's just me but shuffle in PA is pain in the... Many audio players has the same issue. I experimented with "Full random" and "less random" and often I hear same songs over and over again. And I have 3.000 songs.

So this "mix thing feature" would come handy.

I wouldn't use it everyday but it's nice option to have.

Regarding "I just press the >> (or swipe) to move on."

Imagine that you drive bicycle or walking (I drive almost everyday, with one earphone in ear, of course ;)) and almost everytime you press ”>> or volume button" because you heard song that played yesterday. It's really painful. So maybe this regard to shuffle issue but I can see myself using this feature often. Although I know this feature will not happen in the near future or ever 🤣

@Mark89 None of those responses indicate why you would want to listen to 60 seconds of each song and then automatically skip the rest. If I wanted to skip a song, I'd know well before 60 seconds. And choruses are sometimes heard within 60 seconds, sometimes not, but it varies immensely from song to song so a single setting would not help much. I just don't see any benefit.

I too often use Shuffle to just see what randomly occurs next. And if I don't like it, I just press the track advance button - either '>>' on the phone screen if it's awake and accessible, or using the wired headset buttons if I'm walking, or the Next Track button on my steering wheel in the car (which I can also double click for Next Category if I want to skip a whole album or folder).

Re your last comment: With a new completely random shuffle, you are actually fairly likely to hear something again that you've heard quite recently in another session, that's the nature of randomness. To avoid this, you can now ask PA to bias the shuffle process to prioritise lesser-played tracks first, so those tend to occur sooner within a shuffle sequence. See Settings=>Library=>Shuffle=>Shuffle Randomization 

Andre

28 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

@Mark89 None of those responses indicate why you would want to listen to 60 seconds of each song and then automatically skip the rest. If I wanted to skip a song, I'd know well before 60 seconds. And choruses are sometimes heard within 60 seconds, sometimes not, but it varies immensely from song to song so a single setting would not help much. I just don't see any benefit.

Well, DJ's do this all the time. Mix first sequence of song with other song. Maybe this feature would be harsh mixing, without order, not so great as DJ's do, but still it would be interesting to hear, especially for edm collection. I said 1min just for example but user can choose duration. Almost every radio edit has first chorus done at 1.30min.

I can see benefit of this feature. It depends to opinions. 

As for shuffle randomization, yes I experimented, tried almost every combination but problem of poor shuffling remains. Maybe I just need to rest from music for a little while :)

3 hours ago, Mark89 said:

problem of poor shuffling remains

Not sure what can be done about that. PA shuffles completely randomly each time you ask for a new shuffle, so I think we might have an issue with the fundamental nature of randomness here. :) 

And yes DJs do mix music, but I rather doubt they do it with a music player on a domestic phone - and they certainly don't do it by playing the first 60 seconds of every track and then crashing into the next track. :)

Andre

Using a "zap" feature while driving 30m to work sounds like something that could be usable, hit "random zap" and hear XX seconds of a track and crossfade to the next. I can see how this could work.

With randomness I have just to agree with both of you, it feels like the same stuff comes up over and over again and that's just the nature of things. I will not try to do the math for the probability as I would probably end up making a public fool of my self...

I'm bored... I did a randomness simulation in excel...

• Function =RANDBETWEEN(1;3000)
  • 10 sets of 15 RANDBETWEENS

This would be pretty close to ten 30 minute commutes to the office and back... quite typical result of this is that 5-6 tracks would play twice in the week and one track three times.

12 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Not sure what can be done about that. PA shuffles completely randomly each time you ask for a new shuffle, so I think we might have an issue with the fundamental nature of randomness here. :) 

And yes DJs do mix music, but I rather doubt they do it with a music player on a domestic phone - and they certainly don't do it by playing the first 60 seconds of every track and then crashing into the next track. :)

Andre

I feel sometimes that PA favorize some artist in my music collection. It sounds ridicilous, maybe it's randomness but it feels odd. When All Songs shuffle session starts, PA often choose same artist, sometimes in a row. Something like "Artist1, Artist2, Artist3, Artist3, Artist4, Artist5, Artist3..." One day one artist gets priority, other day some other artist. 

Well, I'm not saying that Dj should use PA & phone to mix on live set :)

Dj's often use first sequence of one song and when it comes to drop, they use drop from another song.

Like @6b6561said, "zap" could be useful when driving to work or such. Little mix session wouldn't hurt anyone. And if you put nice crossfade effect between songs, and maybe option to PA sometimes random choose XX minutes from song, that would be nice mix.

Edited by Mark89

I'm all for choosing songs at random, but I still can't see a reason for listening to a random short portion of a random song then skipping, repeatedly. It just seems like a completely pointless and rather annoying exercise to me. But hey, some people do seem to want it.

On randomness, I expanded on @6b6561 's idea of actually checking this objectively and scientifically. I sorted a large spreadsheet of numbers (1 to 3000) randomly 10 times, which simulates PA re-shuffling a collection of 3,000 songs in ten different shuffle sessions. I then assumed that for each listening session you may get through perhaps only the first 20 songs or so, and then when you come back you generate a new shuffled sequence and listen to another 20 songs, etc.

So listening to just 20 songs shuffled from a collection of 3,000, for 10 sessions, a completely random selection resulted in the following repeated items occurring in different sessions:
image.png

And the longer you listen, and the more sessions ,the more repeats will occur naturally - and of course even more so with smaller collections, such as just one playlist. Which is the nature of randomness - if you roll a dice six times, it's highly likely that a same number could get rolled more than once:
image.png

Andre

One simple way to get around the issue of recurrence of songs in subsequent shuffle sessions is to build a random playlist and then keep returning to that until it's finished. It's actually really easy to do:

To set it up: Go into the All Songs category, tap 'Select', choose 'All', then add everything to a new playlist using the '+Playlist' icon. Note: a fairly new feature allows you to long-press on the '+Playlist' icon to set it to Shuffle mode, so any items added to a playlist can be pre-shuffled - neat!

To listen: Open your newly created list in the Playlists category, and tap the 'Play' icon.

If you want the song and playback-position to be remembered for next time, go into the playlist's List Options menu and tick both 'List Position' and 'Per-Track Progress'. Then it doesn't matter what you do in the meantime, your shuffled playlist will be ready and waiting for you to continue listening later - just tap its Play icon again.

And it doesn't have to be All Songs of course, you could build from any sub-category of music that you wish - such as a Genre, or something from Folders Hierarchy. Or even make several shuffled playlists, each for a different purpose, and they will all remember where you had previously got to and won't repeat anything within that list.

Andre

2 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

As Feature Requests go, I think this one went off the rails pretty easily. Can happen when there are 8 requests in one thread though.

Andre

Any help you might be able & willing to offer me to understand why both my post from a couple of months ago, as well as one from just several minutes ago were deleted? I didn't even receive an email with an explanation. :(

6 minutes ago, CTNBEH said:

Any help you might be able & willing to offer me to understand why both my post from a couple of months ago, as well as one from just several minutes ago were deleted? I didn't even receive an email with an explanation. :(

They weren't deleted, they were moved to a more appropriate thread to get an answer.

6 minutes ago, CTNBEH said:

You posted about something completely different (visualisations) which was not anything to do with this topic. I moved it to the correct area where it might get seen:

Andre

@CTNBEH This thread was started by a user with a list of eight or so small request items, which always tends to lead to fragmented bitty threads. The current discussion is split in two really: randomness questions and "zap" playback of partial tracks, but as the posts are combined ( @Mark89 started it yesterday :) ) I can't easily separate them now.

Luckily as your comment was completely new, it was easy to split it out into its own unique thread with a specific title, which is much more likely to get seen.

Andre