Play now and Current queue

So, hello everyone. 

I'm writing to suggest some features that I really miss from other players (I still don't use those, my love is for the one and only Poweramp), but I would LOVE to see them as new PA features.

I'm talking about some sort of Play Now Page in alternative to the Library page. This will be an actual library page but with the addition of a Playlists row, recent albums, favorites songs, ecc which will play on single tap and open on long tap. This just to make the library page more used (as per my tastes). Then I'd love to see a Current Queue feature, different from the actual Queue. This would be a swipe up action from Now Playing screen revealing the Current list of songs (the album/playlist, ecc you're playing) 

I will always be available for future clarification if needed. Thanks for listening, I hope you will take my suggestion in consideration :)

You can already edit the Library view using List Options to choose other category items to put in the list.

I think the other thing you are asking for is basically a 'history & upcoming' feature, allowing you to look back at songs that have recently been played and see planned upcoming songs (i.e. the same order that you'd get by repeatedly pressing << or >> ) but navigated visually as a long flattened list. There are a few other threads which have asked for the same thing, such as:

If implemented, swipe up would be a nice way to get to it - unless vertical swipes are returned to their previous functionality of moving to previous/next category. Another suggestion was to use the space in the middle of the feature buttons row, between the Sleep and Repeat buttons, where the counter is shown as a button.

Andre

On 1/31/2021 at 1:34 AM, andrewilley said:

You can already edit the Library view using List Options to choose other category items to put in the list.

I think the other thing you are asking for is basically a 'history & upcoming' feature, allowing you to look back at songs that have recently been played and see planned upcoming songs (i.e. the same order that you'd get by repeatedly pressing << or >> ) but navigated visually as a long flattened list. There are a few other threads which have asked for the same thing, such as:

If implemented, swipe up would be a nice way to get to it - unless vertical swipes are returned to their previous functionality of moving to previous/next category. Another suggestion was to use the space in the middle of the feature buttons row, between the Sleep and Repeat buttons, where the counter is shown as a button.

Andre

Hello. 

I guess I wasn't very clear explaining the first option. Did you see the screen shots I added in the comments? That is where that is clearer,but I'll explain myself right now. I was asking for a kind of horizontally-scrollable list of elements, which could be most played albums/playlists or recommended songs or things like that, something like Spotify or Deezer or even Apple Music. So the result would be the well-know library list which you can customize, as you pointed out, and then some scrollable playlists and/or albums directly below the written list. 

I hope I was clearer this time and also suggest to check the attached screen shots in the comment section. Thank you for replying anyway :) 

Ah, I didn't realise that you were asking for a horizontally scrollable line. Basically a sort of 'Favourites' zone at the bottom of the Library screen, which would allow you to define quick-access items for your most regularly used categories such as a particular Folder, Album, Artist, Playlist, or even individual songs. That does sound like a very useful concept to me.

I would suggest perhaps making it a bit more flexible though, by creating a new Favourites Category which would behave rather like adding something to a Playlist. The options menu that pops up when you long-press on anything in the library/category views would now include a new Add to Favourites ("+ Favourite") item which would store the currently selected item(s) in the Favourites category. The new Category view would then allow the same user-adjustments as for Playlists - re-sort, manually drag items up and down the list, rename/remove items, etc. Tapping on any item in the Favourites category would open to the relevant view, or if the item was an individual song then it would commence playback.

And to achieve your specific request of having a scrollable list at the bottom of the Library view, there could be one extra tickbox in Library > List Options to enable a 'Favourites bar'. This would take the form of a horizontally scrollable area just above the mini-player, persistent in the same way that the mini-player remains on the screen, which would include (say) the first 20-30 items of the Favourites category as scrollable thumbnails.

@maxmp Does this sound like something you think would be a good and useful fit, as I think a quick-access Favourites feature would be a great addition to the current library system?

Andre

On 2/2/2021 at 7:12 PM, maxmp said:

As for horizontal lists, they were implemented originally as a part of Poweramp v3.0 UI, but I couldn't find a good use for them, so they never appeared in Poweramp v3.

When you implement that Favourites category, it would seem to be an ideal opportunity to try utilising that horizontal scrolling list code along the bottom of the main Library screen. Optionally of course, maybe with a couple of height settings so people could either see a couple of bigger thumbnails, or more smaller ones taking up less screen area.

Andre 

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, GeilerHeinz said:

Will the planned favourites-category allow it to group items to "folders" at will?

That hasn't been mentioned in the past, but that's what this Feature Requests area is for. Sounds like a nice way to organise your favourites.

However it might get a bit confusing to just add another extra drill-down layering system to a Favourites screen that could already be showing openable folders, albums, artists, etc. What about the possibility of having Tab Groups on the Favourites page, would that do what you need?

Andre

@maxmp excuse me for interfering in this conversation. But I'm worried horizontal scrollable lists will interfere with the swipe gestures that the app uses to go back. 

Currently,  wherever you swipe left or right, is a definite leverage to take you 'back'. But if horizontal lists come to the interface,  we'll have to pay constant attention to what that swipe will do on this specific spot. App use won't be as snappy as it is right now. 

Edited by Niloo T.

@Niloo T. I'd actually forgotten that was even a thing, as I always use the Back button to go Back. It never quite seemed logical to me back in the early days of v3 that swiping left OR right did the exactly the same thing - which was to go up. Left or right swipes are more commonly used in a reversible way (for homescreens, galleries, etc) so swiping left goes left and swiping right immediately afterwards would take you back to the right-hand screen again.

Andre

@andrewilley yeah,  what i love about Poweramp is that what swipes do everywhere is so predictable.

I don't even look at my phone.  Or I don't even have to struggle to reach the edge. Even in the middle of the screen,  swipe does 'back' action.

I'm afraid of losing the pleasure of seamless surfing inside this app if horizontal scrollable lists come.

I think it makes a bit sense that swiping left and right do the sand thing,  because,  think of a new page as a new layer. You push one later aside to see the one under it.

Anyways, horizontal lists  ruin this experience.

Edited by Niloo T.

What's the point of swiping if you aren't looking at the phone? :) And after a couple of 'back' swipes, you'll start changing tracks unless you keep an eye on where you are.

But as I said, I'd actually forgotten that functionality even existed. I don't use swipes anywhere at all in PA, not even in the Player screen - on PA v2, I had them turned off in fact, as they were optional then. Oh, apart from scrolling up and down lists of course, but that's a rather more specific operation than a general swipe gesture.

But everyone's use is different of course, one of the nice things about PA is its configurability.

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

[...]What about the possibility of having Tab Groups on the Favourites page, would that do what you need?

I don't really know how this would look like.

Regards

PS: I found the thread where we already discussed this request.

https://forum.powerampapp.com/topic/21989-option-to-group-genres/?do=findComment&comment=100970