More comprehensive Backup / Restore for settings and database entries

There are fairly regular questions in the forums and on Facebook about backing up Poweramp setups for safety, moving to a new phone, or when resetting/reinstalling on the current device. Also for handling playlists, EQ settings, etc.

At the moment, the processes which have built up over time have become is a bit awkward and fragmented across multiple locations: Export Settings, Export Poweramp Playlists, save ratings/playcounts and restore them via a third-party app (or partially via an all-songs playlist), backup/restore artwork by copying the contents of folders in the _com.maxmpz.audioplayer system folder, etc.

It would be a lot easier for all of this to be made available via one command which could handle everything using a single archive zip file as a container, with a simple tickable list to choose which items to include in the process.

Settings > Backup could offer various tickbox choices (with a few calculated warnings about potential size issues for certain options) and allow the user to specify a location and filename for the zip file, or use a system default name based on date/time.

• Poweramp App Settings
  • Skin Adjustment Settings
  • Equalizer Adjustments
  • Library List Options
  • Bookmarks / Per-Track Memory
  • Song Ratings
  • Song Play Counts
  • Dates Songs Added
  • Poweramp Internal Playlists (approx xxx Mb)
  • External (file-based) Playlists (approx xxx Mb)
  • Downloaded Album Covers (approx xxx Mb)
  • Downloaded Artist Images (approx xxx Mb)

Settings > Restore would be used to bring saved data back in again, with a similar selection list of items that are only be clickable if they exist in the user's chosen zip file.

If elements such as EQ/ratings/play counts were saved in a human-readable text/xml/json format files (still stored within an overall zip file for convenience) that might help with compatibility with other third-party apps too.

Andre

2 hours ago, 6b6561 said:

Add the DB to this list as well, that would cover the ratings that you listed as well as the date added 

I've inserted 'Date Added' to the list in my original post. I forgot that one as I never use it - I use filesystem date/time if anything. I think it would probably be better to itemise what people specifically want rather than just exporting/importing the whole database wholesale. Ticking everything ought to have much the same effect as 'import DB' though, but would give a cleaner end result.

58 minutes ago, Bracket said:

Are these the outlines of a new project? What is the aim of your message?

This is just a Feature Request from me, as I'm not the developer. Although I'm an Admin for the forums, I'm still basically just an enthusiastic user of the app like you are, so I have my own thoughts and wishes just like everyone else here. And yes, some of my suggestions go back many years too, so I really don't have any more power than you do. :) :) 

Andre

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the detailed request. I guess first iteration on this will include all the possible export-able info Poweramp has in its database.

The external data, such as album art, will be probably handled in the following iterations. The album art collections may be huge and can’t be exported into single zip quickly.

3 hours ago, maxmp said:

The album art collections may be huge and can’t be exported into single zip quickly.

Yes, I thought that too, hence my suggestion to include an estimated output size within the selector options for Playlists, Album Covers, and Artist Images. As JPGs don't compress any further, and would only be stored by the ZIP process, it would be easy enough to just quote the full uncompressed folder size. Playlists would compress very well, so not sure if it'd be worth including an estimate for them.

Andre

12 minutes ago, Ash Roarshock said:

Is there a way to choose for Poweramp to always store the jpg's to your sd card instead of on the internal memory? 

No, they are always stored in PA's user folder, /Android/data/com.maxmpz.audioplayer/files/****/

I don't know whether it would be technically feasible to use the same location on an SD Card, but accessing that area from other apps could be an issue from Android 11 onward due to newer Android restrictions.

Andre

On 7/24/2021 at 2:57 PM, Ash Roarshock said:

Is there a way to choose for Poweramp to always store the jpg's to your sd card instead of on the internal memory? This would eliminate the need to back those up.

SD cards can be damaged and phones can be lost and stolen, so I would backup SD card content as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This feature has now been implemented in PA build 912. It will make backups and transferring to new devices so much easier now. Thanks Max!

image.png

Note: selecting the newer items will mean the resulting backup file is only compatible with PA build 912 and above. If you only select the basic items, the backup file is still backward compatible.

image.png

When Importing, you use a similar screen to choose which of the saved items you want to bring back.

Andre

• 2 years later...
Posted (edited)

Would someone know the format of the backup file ? I'd like to extract some album arts from an existing backup file.

EDIT: found it, it's a zip file.

Edited by RiedRied