Android 10 messed up Poweramp in LG G7 Thinq

ASI555

I've been a Poweramp user since 2 years or so. After the recent Android 10 update Poweramp doesn't support Quad DAC anymore. Whichever settings I tried doesn't seem to make any difference. As an audiophile I just want my hi fi audio back. 

Poweramp built : v3-build-884-arm64play [884004-9876041f]

Phone : LG G7 Thinq

Android version : Android 10

Stock UI

Awaiting immediate response.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, ASI555 said:

Awaiting immediate response.

That's a nice way to get people to want to help you...

Have you tried Settings > Audio > Output > Restore Defaults ? New Android releases tend to change the way they do things, if not break them completely, so going back to default for that OS version sometimes helps.

Andre

I think it's the android 10 update. There is a howling effect and voice dip at times when listening to music. I know some settings had gone rogue but just can't figure out which. I've already tried resetting and restoring to default. It's really hard use Poweramp without the Quad DAC. Looking forward to getting a fix. 

A.S.I

When you did a re-install of the app, did Google restore your old settings automatically? Try clearing PA's App Data in your device's Android settings so it's definitely a new setup. If that does not help, posting the results of Settings > Audio > Advanced Tweaks > Audio Outputs Detection Log might provide some info as to why Android 10 has broken high res for you.

There have been a variety of posts in the past saying that G7/G8 devices work fine with high res, but some are quite old so they will have been running on older Androids. This one is only a couple of months ago so presumably will have been on Android 10:

Andre

Actually in the previous version of Android when the sound level was 12 it was too loud and clear. Definitely hi Res output. Now that level of precision is obtained only after 35 audio level. BTW the below is the log you've asked for. I donno what it means. I know it's annoying but you really have to help me. I just love your app. 🥺

Screenshot_20201010-181742.png

High resolution does not necessarily equate with high volume - indeed it could be quieter than regular output. The same goes with enabling or disabling DVC, it may make output work better but be quieter for any given numeric volume setting ("it goes up to 11" :) ).

I assume you've tried with both DVC or and off anyway. What happens when you try to enable high-res output for Wired Headset/AUX, or isn't that option available for you now you are on Android 10?

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

High resolution does not necessarily equate with high volume - indeed it could be quieter than regular output. The same goes with enabling or disabling DVC, it may make output work better but be quieter for any given numeric volume setting ("it goes up to 11" :) ).

I assume you've tried with both DVC or and off anyway. What happens when you try to enable high-res output for Wired Headset/AUX, or isn't that option available for you now you are on Android 10?

Andre

I've tried both DVC on and off as you assumed. Nothing much happens. It's frustrating because I know what I'm missing from before. Will there be any update for Android 10 users?

"Nothing much happens" is a bit vague, do you hear playback sound or not?

Could you try enabling High-Res for your Headset output, and then set the frequency/bitrate/etc that you want. Then, while listening to a track, long-press on the metadata/info line near the bottom of the player screen. That should show you the audio path and what output is currently being generated.

Andre

My stock Galaxy S9 SM-960U recently received an update to Android 10. After reading this thread , I uninstalled Poweramp, and reinstalled, then reset audio output. I use Hi-Res output and noticed sample rates up to 192 khz have DVC ENABLED, over 192 khz DVC is DISABLED. Additionally, sample rates up to 96khz use 16 bit depth, 176khz and 192khz uses 24 bit depth, while 353khz and 384khz use 32 bit depth.

Edited by tom

You have enabled, and are hearing from the Headset/AUX socket, 24-bit / 192kHz audio. DVC is not referenced (should be under Volume Control) which may mean your device does not support it in this mode, as normally I would have expected to see it shown but as strike-through text.

The source file is only 16-bit / 44.1kHz though (regular CD quality) so for this song at least you might as well just use regular output.

Andre

When you say there are volume dips, do you mean associated with loud (or heavy bass) passages in the music? If so you are oversaturating beyond 100% digital somewhere, most likely with too much EQ in lower frequency bands, and the limiter is having to attenuate the whole output to avoid distortion. Try setting the EQ to flat and see if you get the same problem, and if that works then try reducing the pre-amp again by however much you want to boost the EQ bands. Is DVC on or off, as DVC usually allows for more range. Also are you listening using Settings > Audio > Output > OpenSL ES , or High-res?

Andre

Yes! I am referring to heavy bass. It didnt occur before the update to android 10. By reducing pre amps then the output from Poweramp would be too low compared to average device volume. I have no DVC checked and my output is High Res Output. I have tried both openSL and high res output and both sounded similar. 

Try enabling DVC (can be dependent on devices and bitrates in high-res modes). Or turn the limiter off, so PA does not dip the volume when you boost frequencies above 100% digital levels (although you might hear distortion under peak conditions). But the best answer is to not boost anything beyond 100% levels in the processing chain - i.e. turn it down a bit in the preamp, and increase the final output gain .

Andre

I have tried enabling DVC. However, when adjusting volume, for the lg g7 there is clipping when reducing/increasing volume (for example from 50 to 30, during the period of adjusting) after DVC is turned on. Might require a fix here. I think ill just use my current settings of low boost on Poweramp.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The same model (LG G7) passed by.The same is true for Poweramp in the US version of Android 8.At that time, the volume of DVC was already very loud when it came to about 30.System rose to Android 9 on the line, the total feel bad about what, now the volume to open more than 50 can be, really sad!

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

in Android 10 on LG g7 the low bands are pre dominant, and sounds like the quad dac feature/project (drivers) has been cancelled. So , the built in equalizer is pretty fakked up. I boost up 8k and 16k bands to match the sound like it was before. but it didn't help much. 

in Android 8.0 or 9.0 toggling the quad dac button did make a great change. now nothing much. so sad that the lg team got this cruel that they just dropped a feature which is a major thing to people like us. shame on LG.