Now playing list/Queue Feature

Hello .. the basic option of being able to check and rearrange the Now playing list is missing from Poweramp . What I am trying to explain is , apart from Queue /all song /Playlists  there should be a Now Playing List where I can rearrange the track order (not Library ) like in basic music players I can add tracks in that Now Playing List (not like adding in separate queue ). In my opinion The available Option of queue is useless it is like temporary playlist total waste . Now playing list will be much better. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Poweramp does not have the concept of a "Now Playing" list as such, which is why you cannot display it.

Poweramp's playback order is determined from the Library category that you decide to use, and the sorting order that you have assigned for that category. For example, you could listen to your music by Artist, by Album, by Folder, etc. - and you would this hear all the songs in the first album (or folder, etc) that you select, then the next album in order, and so on. The order could be alphabetical, year, random shuffle, etc.

If you want to do something a bit more ad hoc, that's what the Queue and Playlists are for:

• The Queue allows you to create a temporary list of songs (including full albums, folders, etc) which will be played back sequentially in the order you add them until they are finished. You can move the songs up and down in the Queue if you wish. You can also play the Queue in random order if you prefer.
  • Playlists are very similar, but are saved for future use so you can go back to them later. You can also do more with them, such as give them names, sort the songs by various criteria, etc.

Andre

@andrewilley I knew all those playlist/queue features and what I can do..

Now I have a lot to Explain but it will waste both of our time.i don't know if u r dev or just fan like me (didn't check your profile) ..  if explaining to you make any feature addition or change I will suggest you to Check an app Called "Musicolet" in playstore its prime feature is creating more then one queues/list.. 

• 7 months later...

We really could use a button on the main playing screen that would show you the temporary queue of what's the next songs that will play. 
Personally I sometimes like to shuffle my music, but I'm also not in the mood for like half of my songs so what I do is shuffle and pick things from the next 20 songs to start making a playlist 

The permanent queue option is totally a separate function that should exist the way it is.

29 minutes ago, Okta said:

The permanent queue option is totally a separate function that should exist the way it is.

Poweramp doesn't have a permanent queue, only the transient one that you can add to with ">> Queue" and which normally exits when finished. The nearest thing to a "permanent queue" would be a Playlist.

I think what you are asking for is something that has been requested a number of times before though, which is a method to see, in a very simple flatted list format, all the songs that have already been played in the current session and also the forthcoming ones too (regardless of your chosen playback Category and any Shuffle/Repeat modes).

Andre

27 minutes ago, Okta said:

We really could use a button on the main playing screen that would show you the temporary queue of what's the next songs that will play. 
Personally I sometimes like to shuffle my music, but I'm also not in the mood for like half of my songs so what I do is shuffle and pick things from the next 20 songs to start making a playlist 

+1

e.g.

I agreed there that it would be really nice to have some sort of 'History' feature in the Player Screen's menu (alongside the existing Folder/Album/Artist choices) which would open a view showing all of the previously played and also upcoming tracks for the current session using a simple scrollable flat list format. Perhaps @maxmp might consider this for a future release?

Andre

@andrewilley well yeah , there's a user who even mentions the same button on the now playing screen as me. 
It would be really nice. I like all the ideas in Poweramp to play albums and different categories but its werid to me that the basic playback features of a player like this one are not yet covered 

• 2 weeks later...

This is also something that I miss. My use case is that I quite often select an artist and hit shuffle before getting into the car, and it's a pain if I hear a track that I want to add to a playlist, hard to handle while driving and impossible to dig out the played track afterwards.

The way it's done on the iPhone default player is that you have a list button on the main player screen, hitting the list button opens up a list in the player window which can be rolled up/down to see what has been player or will be played. The functionality is good, but the layout sucks... guess it might be due to the small screen of the Gen1 SE.

("Nästa som spelas" swedish for "Next to be played")

So what we are asking for is for a ("Now playing") list view on what has been played and what will be played in the foreseeable future, this would allow the user to:

• Check the name of the great song heard half an hour ago.
  • Skip the next X crap songs queued for playing.

Basically the space for the button is already there, the track counter "6/16" like in the RHCP screenshot could open up a list view of what has been played and what's remaining to be played.

Kim

(The two first screenshots are of the iPhone default player and the third one just circles what could trigger a list view in PA.)

IMG_1185.png

IMG_1186.png

Screenshot_2021-01-07-14-16-28-621_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.jpg

55 minutes ago, 6b6561 said:

Basically the space for the button is already there, the track counter "6/16"

That's actually a great idea, I hadn't thought of using that location to act as a button.

So how about it @maxmp ? It's already possible to move backward and forward through the playback history / scheduled tracks using the << and >> buttons, how about making that information accessible as a simple flattened list too, formatted similarly to the All Songs list?

Andre

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Someguyonline said:

I am assuming you guys are talking about adding something like this one Spotify has? I would be all for that! 

Yes, we are discussing the idea of displaying a simple flattened list showing the entire current playback session. It would be formatted very much like the All Songs list with the currently playing song in the middle of screen, previously played songs listed above, and forthcoming songs listed below. This would work regardless of whatever Category, Repeat or Shuffle modes you are using.

Andre

On 2/15/2021 at 2:36 AM, Lorelock said:

And any idea when the next sale is?

Show your love for the dev during valentine's week 🙂😂

21 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Yes, we are discussing the idea of displaying a simple flattened list showing the entire current playback session. It would be formatted very much like the All Songs list with the currently playing song in the middle of screen, previously played songs listed above, and forthcoming songs listed below. This would work regardless of whatever Category, Repeat or Shuffle modes you are using.

Good idea. I am also into the idea of implementing a home page like Spotify/YouTube Music/Deezer where suggestions/most played songs are listed on. Kind of like how this open source retro player implements. https://github.com/h4h13/RetroMusicPlayer what do you think? Would it be possible to implement something like this? Currently even custom Poweramp skins can't add this feature.

+1 for this, would love the ability to look ahead when shuffling a playlist/album/all songs and remove certain specific tracks. Poweramp must already know somewhere what's coming next when shuffling (presumably it knows the full list of what songs are coming and in what order), so giving the user control over this queue would be great. As others have said, this is the only "standard" music player feature that Poweramp lacks, and the one that makes me want to change to other apps the most. 

I'm used to the one from Google play music (rip), but other apps (Spotify, musicolet) have this ability, so anything like that would make this the perfect app.

I know it's possible to work around by selecting all tracks I want to shuffle (e.g. all songs), adding them to the queue, in queue re-sorting the list with a random order, and then removing songs, but this is a lot of steps to achieve something that is usually one button.

@juvell The idea being discussed was to allow you to see the playback history and a list of the scheduled songs. That list would be based on the Library Category you are using, and the sorting order pre-defined via its List Options. It would be easy enough to move to elsewhere in the list (forward or backward) but not to manipulate the order at will, nor to skip items, as the playback order is a fundamental function defined for all songs before playback commenced.

As you say, if you want a manually ordered playback method, or just a subset of the whole Library, please use either the Queue or a Playlist which are specifically designed for that purpose. Both of these can be re-sorted at will in a variety of orders, or adjusted manually by dragging songs up and down their local list, or adding/removing songs. Both of those options already allow you to see forward and backward through the list during playback incidentally.  

Andre

@invaderzim Poweramp plays the target list (folder, album, playlist) directly - the target list becomes the “now playing” and you also may have now playing like playlist in a form of the Queue, but actually just a user created Playlist can do that too, including item reordering and permanent shuffle, other sorting orders, and stored lat played song position (enabled via header menu / List Options for the given playlist).

@maxmp The request in this and other similar threads was more for a 'quick view' history facility. So you would be able to see all of the recently played songs for the current playback session, plus all of the upcoming songs in their planned order, as one long flattened list - similar to the All Songs list - with the currently playing song initially shown in the middle of the screen. This simple overview list would work regardless of whatever playback category, repeat or shuffle modes you happen to be using.

It does seem like a useful idea to me, and accessing it could be via a simple tap on the track counter on the player screen.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd throw my hat in the ring and bump up this suggestion.

I've only recently started using Poweramp, and I've been incredibly impressed with all the features and smoothness of this app so far. I'm from Spotify so I definitely feel the loss of the"upcoming/now playing" list.