UPnP/DLNA

Flower

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/19/2019 at 5:24 PM, JLA said:

To get this going I downloaded BubbleUPNP. That works well to get upnp/dlna functionality. FiiO own feature would be great too.

Are you saying you got this to work with Poweramp in addition to having BubbleUPNP?

Instead of starting a new topic, I'll post this here because this is exactly why I came here today... I really just want to play my music on my phone in Poweramp and cast to Poweramp on my second android device (Android Car Head Unit). My second device doesn't have chromecast and that appears to be the only way to cast now? I want to actually use my Head Unit and toggle to Radio, Built in GPS Navigation, while using Poweramp and not have to plug in or Mirror the phone onto the second device and use it instead of the head units ui. So at the very least I want play/pause/<> track info and cover art to transfer. I can't believe we've come so far with our phones, but it feels like we are 10 years behind with our car head units when it comes to communicating with each other. 

I've bought a new generic Android Car Head Unit. I installed Car Launcher AGAMA and everything works great except I don't see Track info or cover Art in the launcher although I do see just Track Info in the Bluetooth stock app. I tried all day so many different solutions and nothing worked, no App would help display Track Info or artwork coming from my phone to the head unit and work with the launcher. So I installed BubbleUPNP to both devices and played audio using it's Built-In player and Track info + Cover Art magically worked!!! Now how can I do this with Poweramp???

• 6 months later...

+1!

I downloaded Bubble and Hi-Fi Cast for DLNA casting, but Poweramp is so much more user friendly. Adding DLNA to it would make it the ultimate audio player! Chromecast is okay, but it downsamples hi-res files.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree to the request to implement UPNP functionality, at the moment it seems to me the only missing (main) feature in Poweramp.

UPNP is present on my second-choice-player, Neutron, and I've to switch to that app when I need it.

Looking forward for an update!

ciao, Stefano

10 hours ago, Absinthequ said:

Yeah I would love if I could install Poweramp on my car head unit and get the music from my phone like BubbleUPNP.

in this case, an easier way is to stream music from Poweramp on your smartphone to the car unit via bluetooth(!)

Edited by code

Bluetooth doesn't give me the ability mirror Poweramp on my head unit. 

Using BubbleUPNP, the app is installed on the head unit and phone and they are synced and identical. Same library, category structure and all artwork included. It's just not as good as the Poweramp app so I don't use it. I use Poweramp all day at work so I want to continue my playlist when I jump in the car. So it's a hassle to switch to a different app or a seperate Poweramp library built into the head unit. Right now I just mount my 5" phone on the dash and use the head unit for Bluetooth audio. It's unfortunate because I have a 10" android screen in the car that's unused because album art doesn't even transfer and all I can do is skip tracks and see a track title. 

Edited by Absinthequ

It can but it crashes a lot, the UI is limited, the album artwork is tiny. If it showed the Poweramp UI it would be different. I use a wireless adapter pad so my USB port isn't accessible. UPNP is wireless.

Edited by Absinthequ

• 1 month later...

UPnP/DLNA has basically three kinds of components:

• Server, this is a device that stores your media.
  • Renderer, TV, speaker... device that presents the media  so that you can enjoy it.
  • Control point, a controller that tells the renderer what to play from where.

Often a device or software can have multiple roles, as an example act as both renderer and CP.

I have a small linux server that runs minidlna and acts as the server, My previous server where a Lacie NAS device with Twonky. Then I have a couple of UPnP renderers on the network.

I use Bubble and Hi-Fi Cast as control points and they are fairly good at asking the renderers to play content from the servers... at least Hi-Fi cast is also able to act as a server and present content from the phone to the renderer.

My main pains with this is:

• Need to maintain playlists in two different apps.
  • Gapless is not working, as the renderer plays a stream to the end and after that loads the next one.
  • No EQ.

I believe it would be fairly straight forward to add DLNA "casting" to PA, more or less in the same fashion as the Chromecast casting:

1. Send out a DLNA "M-SEARCH" package on the network and check for available DLNA renderers.
  2. Start up a DLNA server which would provide the PLCM stream. (It's a requirement that all DLNA renderers should support PLCM.
  3. Act as a CP and ask the renderer to start playing the stream.

This approach would pass by the hazzle of how to add content on a DLNA server to PA library and PA would just have to worry about doing it's magic with the music, making the stream accessible to the DLNA renderer and send out a "Play it, Sam" to the renderer...

So I don't think that adding "cast" to DLNA would be that much of an effort as long as you don't go for "the whole enchilada" and just stick to what's required for casting a stream. How about adding this as "experimental"?

@maxmpWhat's your thought on adding DLNA "casting" only to PA?

Edit 1: Found a quite good tutorial on how to ask the renderer to play content on https://developer.sony.com/develop/audio-control-api/get-started/play-dlna-file

@6b6561  Just a simple note. DLNA renderers are do not any sound processing. They are plays what are they get. Poweramp will do sound processing. It's good if Poweramp instead of headphone jack, bluetooth output, usb dac will get output to dlna renderer .

Edited by mikprog

On 9/1/2019 at 2:19 AM, andrewilley said:

Yes, Chromecast is the only option for now (apart from Bluetooth). DLNA is planned for some time in the future though.

Andre 

Is anyone interested in Chromecast? Want you do a poll?

On 3/15/2020 at 3:09 AM, csimi said:

+1!

I downloaded Bubble and Hi-Fi Cast for DLNA casting, but Poweramp is so much more user friendly. Adding DLNA to it would make it the ultimate audio player! Chromecast is okay, but it downsamples hi-res files.

Not if you use the Toslink cable.

Current casting isn't much better than bluetooth other than the screen looking more complete.

Poweramp needs to be the app you are sending to. You open Poweramp on your phone and select UPnP. You open Poweramp on your android car stereo,  wall mounted/desktop android tablet or Android tv and you toggle from internal library to UPnP library. You can now browse the exact same Poweramp library on either device.

BubbleUPnP already does this. So I'm not just dreaming that this would work.

Edited by Absinthequ

@Absinthequ

@Absinthequ You mess up DLNA entities together. There is  DLNA renderer. server and contoller apps.

On 5/31/2020 at 3:24 PM, Absinthequ said:

Poweramp needs to be the app you are sending to.

"android car stereo,  wall mounted/desktop android tablet or Android tv " are just DLNA renderers. Renderers are play media stream exactly they get it. Would your car audio be renderer while your android phone powered with PA controller and server. Server is where sound processing happens

Edited by mikprog

I'm not going to pretend to know the exact mechanics of DLNA/UPNP, so here's the dumbed down version of how BubbleUPnP works right now, and how I would like Poweramp to work:

I open Poweramp on my cell phone, turn on wifi+bluetooth and then i put it back in my pocket. I now open Poweramp on my android car stereo. I scroll down to Libraries and choose my cell phone library. I can now browse my entire cell phone library using my android car stereo Poweramp app. I can browse artists, albums, genre, playlists, etc and see all information and artwork in the library exactly as it appears on my cell phone and play anything I want. My cell phone never leaves my pocket.

This is my request for Poweramp.

Edited by Absinthequ

• 3 months later...

My devices have performance issue with chromecast (If I use Poweramp with chromecast to send music to my wireless speaker, it will stuck every 5 -10 seconds. I know it could be caused by poor router)

So I prefer to have UPnP/DLNA support, because I can use it to stream music from my PC to the same speaker under the same LAN environment.

• 2 months later...

I agree that streaming to devices on the same LAN (in addition to Chromecast) would be a great feature.

I'd love direct Sonos support as their own app is crap, but I think that's more of a closed system. They do support URL-based radio stations though, so if PA could set up an HTTP live streaming service (basically act as a DLNA server) that would be great. I know there could be a slight lag, but I can live with that. 

Andre

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...