(built 809) mp4 files having playing issues

S.R.Linguite

The new codecs are presenting playing issues with mp4 files.

This files, that works fine on v2 and in video players, are playing in slow in v3, since the first beta. Looks like the file size doesn't matter, I own small files that works and that don't, large files that work and that don't, always downloaded with the same program (tubemate.net).

It's a bit annoying cause my library is half audio files and half music video files.

Same here. Had no problem with v2 and other audio players. This is the first time I encounter this issue.

More than half my music library is YouTube videos, so please fix this ASAP.

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

MP4 files are video, not audio, and are thus not supported by Poweramp. Although some may happen to work (to hear just the audio content) it's definitely not guaranteed.

Hmm. This is the description of the Poweramp website and the Play Store details page:

Key Features. plays mp3, mp4/m4a/alac/aac, ogg, wma, flac, wav, ape, wv, tta, mpc, aiff

So a key feature is definitely not guaranteed? That is not O.K. at all, Andrew.

MP4 is actually a container format, not a codec. If your MP4 file contains just audio (encoded using a codec that PA can decode) then it should play fine, although it is more normal for that sort of audio file to use the extension M4A. However as I said before, if you try to play the audio portion of video files then while it may work, it's not guaranteed.

Andre

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

MP4 is actually a container format, not a codec. If your MP4 file contains just audio (encoded using a codec that PA can decode) then it should play fine, although it is more normal for that sort of audio file to use the extension M4A. However as I said before, if you try to play the audio portion of video files then while it may work, it's not guaranteed.

Andre

I've understood but, at least for me (and, I believe, for several of your users), the possibility of put video files on the playlist is a major feature - in fact, it's your greatest differential cause it's the only audio player that do it!

Couldn't you just put a config option to choose between v2 or v3 codec/decoder? As  I've said, v2 never had this issue while v3 has it since it's very first beta version.

Else, I know I should open a new topic but it seems like a related question:

I'm noticing bass distortion on louder musics that was playing nicely on v2, and not just on mp4 files — mp3 and m4a files too. Could it be 'cause of the "new" codec/decoder?

I'll put it in a new topic if you tell me to ;) I'm really new on forum rules

11 minutes ago, S.R.Linguite said:

Couldn't you just put a config option to choose between v2 or v3 codec/decoder? As  I've said, v2 never had this issue while v3 has it since it's very first beta version.

That would be an interesting idea if not too difficult for @maxmp to implement.

As for the bass question, it's the same here, a result of the new engine.

On 11/20/2018 at 12:59 AM, S.R.Linguite said:

The new codecs are presenting playing issues with mp4 files.

This files, that works fine on v2 and in video players, are playing in slow in v3, since the first beta. Looks like the file size doesn't matter, I own small files that works and that don't, large files that work and that don't, always downloaded with the same program (tubemate.net).

It's a bit annoying cause my library is half audio files and half music video files.

Hi all, totally new in here and made my account due to I am really annoyed with this v3. The fact why i bought Poweramp is bcs it allows you to reproduce audio when the format is .mp4, for me is the key issue due to 90% of my playlist are .mp4. Now with this new version

1. The interface is confussing, not clear and from my point of view, away from ux standards

2. With no reason, the tempo of some songs gets downgraded and it is like listening to in an old radio with very low level of batery (like one scene in movie Apollo 13), and the only solution is to skip to next song. I have changed all settings, disabled and enabled everything and no solution.

3. With no reason, it jumps to the next song when the current one didnt finished (not with all songs).

So at the end i bought this app mainly and mostly bcs of its capability to reproduce .mp4 (stated in the app description as someone in the thread posted) which was with no problems in version 2 and now is a disaster. I think i will switch to other app due to it is extremelly annoying that at the middle of the song the tempo is changed or jumps to the next song. I feel like i wasted money for this.

Possible solutions

1. As someone suggested here, an option where we can decide which version of codecs we want to use

2. Allow users to choose in between versions of the app. V2 or V3, as available apps in the market. From my side i would like to come back to V2 bcs is not just a codec issue, the user interface is not clear and confusing. I dont like at all this V3

I have a samsung galaxy s7 and the version of Poweramp is v3-build-808-play (full version)

Hi people.

Perhaps found an answer.

Config > audio > resampler > resampler type > SoX

I'm still testing it but seems to have solved the mp4 issue. I'll pay attention on the bass issue too. If someone found a resampler/dither config that improve the bass quality, please share here.

About the new interface: LOVED IT! Took one or two days to get used to it, but it's wonderful! :D

4 hours ago, S.R.Linguite said:

Hi people.

Perhaps found an answer.

Config > audio > resampler > resampler type > SoX

I'm still testing it but seems to have solved the mp4 issue. I'll pay attention on the bass issue too. If someone found a resampler/dither config that improve the bass quality, please share here.

About the new interface: LOVED IT! Took one or two days to get used to it, but it's wonderful! :D

Didn't work. Mp4 issues still the same

7 hours ago, Hernan said:

2. Allow users to choose in between versions of the app. V2 or V3, as available apps in the market.

v2 will remain available as a legacy product (mainly aimed at users of Android 4.4 KitKat and lower, on which v3 cannot run). Just turn off the beta-test option in Google Play and block updates for now. You can also manually download v2 from the Downloads tab at the top of this page.

Andre

Archived