Set as ringtone option

OMi

On v2 the option to set as ringtone was present. Which in my case I usually do that from Poweramp. The same feature is missing from Poweramp v3 beta could you please bring that back?

• 3 months later...

Can you please give me a reason for this option (it takes place and pushes some other, unique and needed options in menus and everywhere), when all modern Androids provide that option in default Ringtone selection (you can choose any track there, provided format is supported)?

• 3 weeks later...

I completely agree with this request.

i have finally upgraded my phone to something half decent,  have found my external hard drive and uploaded a shed load of tunes to Poweramp amd cant set any of them as a ringtone.

the in built ringtones in the phone are shite!

its a very a basic option within a complex application. Surely you can fit it in somewhere 😀

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 2:06 AM, blaubär said:

That may well be, but why use Poweramp to set another one ? You can do that via Android.

After all the ringtone isn't played by a music app, but by the os.

Actually that depends on the phone. The galaxy S9 on pie removed the option to set your own music for a ring tone, and now Poweramp did as well. It would be nice to have it again instead of the stupid ones that come on the phone. 

On 12/30/2018 at 7:07 AM, maxmp said:

Can you please give me a reason for this option (it takes place and pushes some other, unique and needed options in menus and everywhere), when all modern Androids provide that option in default Ringtone selection (you can choose any track there, provided format is supported)?

Not all phones have the option to select your own track. 

3 hours ago, Redbear70 said:

The galaxy S9 on pie removed the option to set your own music for a ring tone, 

Why would they do that? Setting your ringtone is very clearly an OS function (not a music player's role) and it should be in Android Settings > Sounds > Ringtone.

Andre

5 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Why would they do that? Setting your ringtone is very clearly an OS function (not a music player's role) and it should be in Android Settings > Sounds > Ringtone.

Andre

It seems Samsung really did complicate things ! Links follows. As they did with High-Res 😞 . Nethertheless thats not a task for the music player.

http://www.androidbeat.com/2018/04/set-custom-ringtone-individual-contacts-galaxy-s9/

The Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ are among the best flagship handsets released this year. Packed to the brim with features, they run on Samsung’s latest Experience UI which has been further improved since it first debuted on the Galaxy S8 with new features and enhancements. However, these improvements have ended up making a simple task of setting up a custom ringtone or notification sound on the handset pretty complex.

This is quite ironic since the task of a smartphone first is to make phone calls so all associated functions and features related to it should also be easy to use. It is not like the option to use a custom ringtone or notification sound is not present on the Galaxy S9, it is just unnecessarily complex. But then as they say, where there is will, there is always a way. If you really do want to know how to use custom ringtone sounds on your Galaxy S9, follow the steps below.

• 1 year later...

Setting a ringtone feature would be a nice addition, but only if it adds something to the existing system feature, so I would love to see the option to set a particular part of a track as your ringtone (like a catchy chorus) - also, some songs begin with long preludes of different sounds and the ringtone cannot be heard - doom/stoner 🎼

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

On 7/5/2021 at 8:28 AM, Marcin S said:

Surprise surprise, in POCO F3 with MIUI 12.5 you have a custom ringtone option in GUI but it doesn't work. The only way to set custom ringtone in Android 11 / MIUI 12 is via music player.
TADAAM.

Yeah, I confirm. Seriously, sitting now using RedMi Note 10 Pro, MIUI 13 Global. Guess what?
There are available 2 options (from config menu only, you can't do this from  which are HORRIFFIC.
Option 1: Files (inbuilt) - A set of files is loaded from your storage, quite big, but still could not find my file among them. Cannot make it bigger. Tried finding my file by name - was, not, there.
Option 2: Mi Music - A small set of storage found music files is present. You can load more by scrolling to the bottom. And again. And AGAIN. Repeated this about 30x times until hitting "Refresh" on sorting provided me with list I was able to get that file - BY NAME, because could not listen to the picked example.

I have no idea how you guys managed to update Poweramp to omit that function in SYNC with Xiaomi MIUI screwing over their users - but you pulled through that with no trouble, you're "Xiaomi" level of pro => making things hard for people who don't want to use online stock spill.
If both you guys and Xiaomi "think" its good to make things that worked suddenly harder/missing for older and new customers I'm no longer interested in the app.

On 12/30/2018 at 2:07 PM, maxmp said:

This would be perfect moment to swoop in and provide this functionality back, but sure, let's focus on creating new ways to provide visuals and scroll music (which is kinda annoying to get used to every new instance) while stripping down Poweramp from one of the functions that makes it MOST RELIABLE among others. I've been using it all this time NOT because of new gimmicks and options, but because you could use it regardless of the system to do such things like adding a ringtone - heck, I believe that was the 1st reason I ever downloaded it and then even bought license!

@maxmp So in all respect - it's 2022, whatever you've might have said might have been right back then, but we're slowly going down the slope to dystopia of NOT having somebody care about old features again - both from system provider and our beloved app

Could you please address it and revive the feature?

EDIT:
To sum it up - here's a very nice reason to add this feature in Poweramp: the provided inbuild feature in Android MIUI 13 now does not allow searching for the file. You can scroll through existing file list and hope it's there. I beg you, do not leave us to this horror, some of us have thousand music files and would want to swap ringtones once in a while. With the function back in Poweramp, you could've easily find and use the file in a matter of under 20 seconds as opposed to 20min to 1 hour of fiddling with MIUI.

1 hour ago, riper0 said:

Android MIUI 13 now does not allow searching for the file

1 hour ago, riper0 said:

Yeah, I confirm. Seriously, sitting now using RedMi Note 10 Pro, MIUI 13 Global. Guess what?
There are available 2 options (from config menu only, you can't do this from  which are HORRIFFIC.

So both Google and your device manufacturer have removed an OS level ringtone feature, and the solo dev for a premium music player app should fix that?

1 hour ago, riper0 said:

This would be perfect moment to swoop in and provide this functionality back, but sure, let's focus on creating new ways to provide visuals and scroll music (which is kinda annoying to get used to every new instance) while stripping down Poweramp from one of the functions that makes it MOST RELIABLE among others. I've been using it all this time NOT because of new gimmicks and options, but because you could use it regardless of the system to do such things like adding a ringtone

One could argue the ringtone feature is also a gimmick, versus the real design intent of Poweramp being a music player app with best quality sound as its focus. I for one did not buy Poweramp with any thoughts of having it set my ringtone. And that won’t change in 2023 or beyond. 

It's not really up to a music player like Poweramp to start adding account ringtones for you, or providing other file and system management features. For starters, it would require extra permissions (such as accessing your Contacts for people-based tones) which is not something that should be granted lightly. It has never been a feature of Poweramp v3, although it did exist in the old pre-2016 Poweramp v2.

The obvious place to put it would be in the system Sounds settings page for defaults, or in individual Contacts pages, which is where Samsung for example provide this feature. There might be other apps around which can do this task more easily than your OS-provided solutions of using the system-installed Files or Music apps though.

Andre

14 hours ago, MotleyG said:

One could argue the ringtone feature is also a gimmick, versus the real design intent of Poweramp being a music player app with best quality sound as its focus. I for one did not buy Poweramp with any thoughts of having it set my ringtone. And that won’t change in 2023 or beyond. 

I agree that Poweramp is great music player, plus I use it for audiobooks (even though the REW/FF 10 sec. buttons do not function always as intended).
But even if adding a ringtone was not it's best feature, adding a ringtone is still a badass feature if you compare how it's slowly being omitted by everyone.
In that respect Poweramp v2 was a rebel app - a "we will keep our homies" safe handshake. I've seen many applications and programs downgrade themselves  because they "could argue a function is not needed" - but once it's gone it's like the saddest day ever, and once it's back everyone loves it until they forget about it.

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

It's not really up to a music player like Poweramp to start adding account ringtones for you, or providing other file and system management features. For starters, it would require extra permissions (such as accessing your Contacts for people-based tones) which is not something that should be granted lightly. It has never been a feature of Poweramp v3, although it did exist in the old pre-2016 Poweramp v2.

True about security access measures, It's not something desirable. 

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

The obvious place to put it would be in the system Sounds settings page for defaults, or in individual Contacts pages, which is where Samsung for example provide this feature. There might be other apps around which can do this task more easily than your OS-provided solutions of using the system-installed Files or Music apps though.

Another point I'd agree with in it's ideology. But it is  fact that mega-corporations like Xiaomi don't really give a rat's ass if their users want to add any ringtones from their local device folder structure - they thought about 1. Allowing to download from online Themes 2. Allow to use stock OS provided ringtones. And  until the fad for Cloud stored stuff is over in their Client Success department ("so many many more clients will love this") then they will not give this 2 looks.

And yes, luckily there are apps who kept the integrity of all of their functions so far and made it easy for their users.
If you guys are still looking for an app to add Ringtone to the phone try using Video Lan Client (VLC) - free, plays everything, you will add your ringtone without issues to your main call settings.
If I find out any more suitable (nad hopefully without adds) I will notify.