Real Crossfade

Hi there:

I have the free version but thinking about buying the full version once I tested everything.

I am a Winamp fun, so the fact that I am moving to Poweramp on my Android (Motorola Defy) is not simple decision to make.

But the app is amazing, so congrats for that.

I would like though, to see the crossfading options get better. The fade out and fade in of tracks A and B is not real crossfade. The ms that you can specify are working for the fade in and out but not for real crossfade. Some call it Radio Crossfade when a song fade out and the next one starts at normal volume. That would be nice.

And there shoud be an icon on the main screen or the eq screen where we can configure that, so we don't have to enter the menu and do it more quickly. You coud think in a third window (eq, tone/vol, cross) where you can put the crossfade options (as a control like bass), the normalize options, the gapless items etc.

Thanks for the attention and keep the good work!!

Leonel.

• 1 month later...

Hi Poweramp team,

I want to join the request for more advanced crossfading features. In fact only one feature, the "real" feature - volume based crossfade.

Having background in radio broadcasting, my two cents on the topic is that the real cross fade rarely requires manipulating the volume levels - this will often mutilate the ending of a song (imagine a song which ends abruptly by design, also known as "cut" or "cold" ending). In such a case you want to have very short overlap.

A real radio crossfade in fact requires deciding WHEN to start playback of the next song so the overlap harmonizes with the ending of the previous song.

That said, it is very difficult to build an algorithm which understands how to do that.

The best I've seen so far is a plugin for Winamp where you configure two parameters:

1. At what volume level (dB) of the PREVIOUS song should the NEXT song kick in (remember, no fading up or down for any of the songs).

2. What should be the maximum overlap (ms) ensuring that the volume trigger does not go off in the middle of a song during a quiet moment. Example if the volume drops but the song has another 2 minutes to go, the next song playback will not start because the maximum overlap is set to 6 seconds for example.

Two additional features that will make the cross-fader rock-solid:

3. Always apply gap killer for both songs - there should be no silence at the end and the beginning of songs. You already have it, so tick.

4. Pre-processing the volumes of all songs in order to make sure that the crossfader compares apples with apples.

This simple algorithm works in 99% of the cases and the effect is amazing.

I will be more than happy to support in the development of this feature.

Great job on the app - I am still trying it out, but definitely buying the full version!

Kos

Thanks for the feedback/request. We're definitely going to add few extra options to the crossfader (FM style crossfade, certainly).

4. Pre-processing the volumes of all songs in order to make sure that the crossfader compares apples with apples.

Not for the mobile device, unfortunately, as decoding/calculating RMS over whole music collection takes a lot of time even on much more powerful desktop PC (e.g. soundcheck processing in iTunes), not to mention limited phone/tablet battery and IO (though, if user uses ReplayGain/Soundcheck for all his/her music collection, this can work).

Thanks!

Not really the right place, but it would be a good option for crossfade, too.

Can you add a feature that your player doesn't crossfade songs

if they are cue or gapless files, and they follow each other in the same album?

Thanks for your nice work :D

• 2 months later...

I agree. I'm still and eagerly waiting for an adjustable overlap instead of a forced crossfade. Why does overlapping tracks have always to be faded? I'd like to tell Poweramp

• how many milliseconds to overlap
  • how many milliseconds fadeout time for the previous track
  • how many milliseconds fadein time for the succeeding track (here I prefer: 0 ms).

I definitely do not understand why the succeeding track has to be faded in? I don't know a single title that need to be faded in during the normal play.

I'm begging you: let the user adjust these three parameters.

Another suggest: Make the overlap settings depending on the folder in which the current track is stored (music: do overlap; speech: do not overlap) or on its genre.

Thank you very much for considering my recommendation. All the best for 2013

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived