Float32

Bhaveshpa

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are using one of the stock Android outputs, which in AAudio's case is maxing out at 24-bit. Presumably 24-bit integer, I don't think outputs would be floating point as that would only be used for internal calculations. You might find Hi-Res Output mode gives you 32-bit (also integer output? Max?).

Andre

2 minutes ago, Bhaveshpa said:

Any way to enable 32bit mode

Try 384kHz output, sometimes bitrate is locked to sample frequency by the device's firmware/hardware. But to be honest, you won't hear the difference anyway; the 144dB of dynamic range that 24-bit integers offers goes beyond the loudness level that the human ear can tolerate.

Andre

Poweramp does not require root access to read the audio policy file. Have you been able to try this with a stock ROM by the way, as sometimes hi-res audio is not so well provided by third-party ROMs (and obviously we can't officially support them either).

Andre

I also always wondered why it is hard fixed at 24 bit even though my phone (LG G7) can do 32bit. No matter if I do 44.1 or 384k, it will be 24 bit all the way on the hi-res output (and always has been this way, on android 8, 9 and 10)

But well what can I do about it, at least it still sounds very good (though oddly enough not quite like the stock player, which unfortunately can read like 2 formats and is very inconvenient to use) and the other things do make up for it. I do nerf down my 32bit files to 24 just to satisfy my OCD though

But that little voice will always be in my head asking questions about it

14 minutes ago, Bhaveshpa said:

I wonder how neutron is able to use 32bit even 64bit.

You may be confusing whatever bit depth the internal DSP or sound engine is operating in, with what bit depth actually arrives to the DAC and thus the output.

Playback anything in Poweramp, and long press on the track's audio quality or output details bubble, you'll see under DSP: Float64/32-bit.

Internally Poweramp is working at 64bit on supported CPUs and in 32bit on supported CPUs.

What word length your DAC accepts is an entirely different story.

Idk about Neutron, been eons since I've tried it, but I know my way around Poweramp and my files. Poweramp DSP does report as "Float64/32 bit" but the output is 100% of the times 24bit, no matter the sample rate I choose, and again my phone DAC is supposedly capable of dealing with 32bit.

I also have quite a few 32bit files (both float and int) and even made 64bit ones myself just for the lolz and yeah no matter what the output depth is always 24 bit.

Again the biggest annoyance is that little OCD devil making a fuss about it but I managed to tame it down a bit after I processed the files to 24bit (keeping the original source on my server storage of course). 

6 hours ago, ScarletNeko said:

I also have quite a few 32bit files (both float and int) and even made 64bit ones myself just for the lolz and yeah no matter what the output depth is always 24 bit.

Again don't confuse the ability for Poweramp to use internal processing for DSP, etc. as mentioned by @Fitziancorrectly...

9 hours ago, Fitzian said:

Internally Poweramp is working at 64bit on supported CPUs and in 32bit on supported CPUs.

...with the output capability of your device. Many devices that report they can process audio at 32bit can only do so with a specific file sample rate. The combinations of bit depth and sample rate vary by manufacturer for whatever reason they have chosen. In your case, with the LG G7 (or any other with the Quad DAC) you need to enable that in the main settings page user Sound (not the Poweramp options). Even with this enabled, there will still be some options that won't work based on how this was set up. For example with LG, you cannot select 32bit while using a sample rate of say 44.1kHz, but you should be able to with a rate of 384kHz.

6 hours ago, MotleyG said:

Again don't confuse the ability for Poweramp to use internal processing for DSP, etc.

What I said on the first part of the previous message was specifically meant to say I know the difference...

But anyway, yeah the Quad DAC is always enabled because I need it in order to power my headphones, and as I mentioned before the output is hard locked at 24bit no matter what sample rate I choose or what sample rate the file is at. From 44.1k all the way up to 384k, it is 100% of the times locked at 24bit (it sometimes goes to 16bit if something else has an audio session active like YouTube for example, but I just need to close the other app and restart Poweramp and it goes back to 24) and it has been like this ever since android 8 on this phone.

10 minutes ago, Bhaveshpa said:

I feel like all my 32bit files are useless

It is kinda overkill for listening only, and people will say all kinds of stuff defending it or going against it... I'm on neither side, I just want to use it when/where possible.

But yeah it might be good to nerf your files down to 24bit to keep on your device for now (they will also use less storage space), do remember to keep the unmodified source stored somewhere though. Not the first time this 32bit talk happened.