Bug Poweramp build 904

Not sure what you mean by "sound drowning", probably a translation issue, could you elaborate a bit?

Generally I would not suggest boosting the preamp much if you don't absolutely need to as you run the risk of introducing distortion if any of your songs are already peak at 100% digital levels. All it does it make the sound louder - but not necessarily better - and it would be better to just use the final volume control to do that. If all of your music is lower than 100% though (or if you use Replay Gain to reduced the maximum levels to allow for potential processing) then a bit of extra gain shouldn't be a problem.

Andre

This is effect of the limiter which doesn’t allow overloading by temporarily reducing the volume.

Overloading happens when there is no headroom - at close to maximum volume (DVC) or when signal is over 0dB digital maximum (no DVC at any volume).

the sound of the music sounds smaller, the sound of the music seems to be drowning or drifting away, although increasing the preamp still doesn't help to make the music sound more advanced. more advanced not harder. since build 900 I always use the default Poweramp settings, or increase the preamp as needed, if the default settings are right in my opinion, I don't change them and leave the default settings. sorry if there is a typo.

As Max said, if you increase the pre-amp beyond flat (and if your audio files are recorded at 100% levels) then any 'peak' portions have nowhere to go - either they get clipped/distorted, or PA reduces the volume to avoid clipping (which is what the Limiter is meant to do).

So if the volume dipping that you are hearing coincides with loudish (or often bass-heavy) portions of your music, try reducing that pre-amp setting to perhaps -3dB and see if that makes the audio more stable. Also check that DVC is enabled if possible. It might also be worth trying Hi-Res output if you are currently using OpenSL ES as that is more lenient of high gain boosts.

Andre 

Archived