Using ADB to allow Equaliser permissions for more audio applications

@Nguyễn Vũ In which case running that first, then the DUMP command, ought to work. And if not, the web version should work. And you've allowed USB Debugging in the Android Dev Options menu? The DUMP command should then just process and return you to the Command Line prompt (note: there will be no success message in the command line, you can see if it's worked within PA-EQ when you next look in the Settings=>Advanced Player Tracking screen)

Andre

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Hi, I can't seem to search through all the comments but is there a way to force add an app to the selection at the bottom? I already did everything else and have given DUMP permissions but many apps I want just don't want to show up on the list.

Maybe there's a way to make an app that's not a music player be categorized as a music player so that Poweramp can detect it?

I'm trying to use PA-EQ as broadly as possible, across not only music and video players, but also other apps like games, etc.

I've successfully enabled Advanced Player Tracking with the required permissions, and actually see apps like games showing up on the list of recognized players. But no matter what I try, those apps don't actually have their audio processed by PA-EQ.

I'm on a Pixel 8 Pro running Android 14, in case that's relevant. Any ideas what might be wrong, or what else to even look at to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

I have to give permission to run in background and keep notification on for Poweramp EQ app work after giving dump permission etc here are some of the SS of settings I perform after giving dump permission and last but not least I give a reboot or restart the phone 

Screenshot_2023-11-22-11-56-35-148_com.android.settings.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-22-11-57-14-405_com.maxmpz.equalizer.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-22-11-58-03-949_com.google.android.permissioncontroller.jpg

Edited by kamaleon
Added system screenshot

• 2 months later...

My android car head-unit, model 8227L is based on Android 8.1 Go. Unfortunately, can't install this equalizer app, the Poweramp player works fine.

Is there any way to install the equalizer or use the player to set other apps use the equalizer of Poweramp?

@abidali Unfortunately your Android version is too old, the stand-alone Poweramp Equalizer app requires Android 9 or later. The music player can be used on Android 5+ but it cannot equalize other apps' output, only its own.

You can probably upgrade your headunit though, Googling it shows Android 11 is fairly readily available. Be very sure you are using a compatible upgrade for your device though.

Andre

It's such a weid situation that Poweramp player works with Android 8 flawlessly, with equalizer produce great quality sound but the standalone equalizer requires android 9 at minimum. 

Is there an old version that support Android 8? 

@abidali Equalizer came late as audio streaming services gained traction before people used internal storage I was one of them I've Poweramp music player for years and bought equaliser after I started using streaming service so I've both hope this explains why it's above Android 8 I don't know about technical side of things.

@abidali The stand-alone Equalizer app works by triggering Android's audio path manipulation features, which were only introduced in Android 9 (and ideally 10+). It cannot function without those tools as it has no direct access to read, manipulate, and re-output the audio data from other apps.

Although the internal equalizer in the Music Player app looks similar in terms of its user interface, it is completely different under the hood. It works on the audio content directly, which it has already read from the audio files, using its own built-in processes.

Andre

• 2 months later...

@andrewilley can u give me manual code to evoke/revoke permission? I got error when i reinstalled Poweramp equalizer,

Im using through over wifi to enable & using adb app, cause im don't have other devices to enabled permissions using otgScreenshot_2024-04-22-08-22-13-781_com.github.standardadb.thumb.jpg.1641a8ac598968a3fec59d2368552d92.jpg

22 hours ago, andrewilley said:

@koukei I don't know much about third-party wifi adb tools (cabled is more reliable) but it looks like you mistyped the adb command anyway, it should be:

adb shell pm grant com.maxmpz.equalizer android.permission.DUMP

Andre

Oh s*** I don't notice it 😅 , I'll try it again, thanks