Can't Cast directly through Poweramp

Osiris

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear you're having this same issue. Good luck getting support - I have been posting and emailing about this for over a year now and I'm just being ignored. It's very frustrating, especially as an early supporter of Poweramp. 

@Osiris  I assume Max has not been able to replicate this issue, without which it would be hard to work out what your specific phone/Android/Chromecast device is doing. Have you sent any logs to the support email address when this issue occurs? Have either of you tried removing the unlocker app (once validated, it can be uninstalled for the time being).

@maxmp Could this be related to the shared used ID issue that a few people reported, possibly linked to Unlocker being present?

Andre

I’m sure this has much to do with the Chromecast function as anything. I find on my devices, when Chromecast is not working in one app, it also doesn’t work in any other music player app. Seems like a very finicky function at best.

@andrewilley HI Andre. I appreciate the response.

I have sent logs to the support email. They told me to uninstall the app and unlocker from the play store and reinstall the apk directly from Poweramp. I did that with no luck. I also tried removing the unlocker app with no luck. This issue is very strange. Casting was working perfectly all week for me. Last night for seemingly no reason it stopped working and I can't get it to work again. I can also confirm that casting from other apps (SoundCloud, YouTube, etc.) is functioning normally. Please let me know what steps I can take or what information I can provide to help figure this out. Thanks. 

@Osiris current builds (922/923) works fine with Chromecast. Poweramp is tested with Home, Home max, CCwTV, Sony android TVs. What is your CC device? 
Please note that casting files from your Poweramp requires Chromecast access to your phone, this means it won’t work in “isolated” network, even if other players such as Youtube and Spotify do work - as they stream directly from internet.

@maxmp I have multiple devices (home, home max,ccwTV) and when it doesn't work for one it doesn't work for all of them. Also it does work some of the time for days at a time so I don't think it's something on my end with respect to access (correct me if I'm wrong). Then it seems to stop working randomly. I am not adjusting any settings in Poweramp or on my phone in general. 

I also experienced problems with PA streaming via chromecast consistently for about two years. With online streaming services like Spotify I never had any problems.

For a few month now streaming with PA via chromecast works quite stable after changing the settings of my WiFi network. My three streaming speakers and my mobil device are exclusively connected to the 5 GHz band, which has a different SSID name compared to the 2.4 GHz band. For the 5 GHz WiFi a permanent channel is set, which isn't reserved for preferred user (e.g. radar). WiFi band-steering is deactivated. Perhaps this helps.

Regards

@GeilerHeinz that's interesting. I have been thinking my Poweramp Chromecast issues may have something to do with my wifi settings. The problem is that I have a nest router and there's no separate 5ghz ssid nor is there a way to force it to connect to the 5ghz band. This makes me wonder if it works when it's connected to the 5ghz band and doesn't work when it's connected to the 2.4 band. @andrewilley @maxmp any thoughts?

One of the complications with Chromecast output is that Poweramp needs to send the entire audio data from your source file to the target device over your WLAN. Other streaming services (YouTube, Spotify, etc) just tell the Chromecast device what they want it to play and the CC device fetches the music from the internet itself, nothing is sent from the phone. This can make direct comparisons a bit tricky.

Andre

@andrewilley That makes sense. I also have tried casting local audio from VLC player (which I would imagine works similarly to Poweramp) and it is also working. Could the issue be caused by Poweramp being incompatible with the way my nest router switches between 5ghz and 2.4ghz? This might explain why it works some of the time. Any thoughts?

Regarding differences of casting local files with PA and VLC player, that's what @maxmp answered once:

Poweramp streams raw (decoded) PCM. While this requires more data to be sent to the chromecast device, it also ensures we don’t double recompress audio (thus higher quality/less compression artifacts) and also all supported formats are “castable”.

https://forum.powerampapp.com/topic/19181-constant-interruptions-while-streaming-via-chromecast/?do=findComment&comment=84963

Also, routers normally handle the different connections on the LAN/WLAN - so it shouldn't matter whether devices are connected back to the router/switch by 2.4GHz / 5Ghz wi-fi or by ethernet cable. Generally, 2.4GHz will give you a greater range from the router, but possibly slower throughput. 5GHz might be a bit more fussy about location and wireless distances, but when it does connect it is faster.

Andre

Sure, it depends on the local stability of the WiFi band. At my place the 2.4 GHz WiFi is very crowded with networks of my neighbours, that's why I use the 5 Ghz band. But it's essential that the device and the speakers aren't steered to another band nor access point while streaming.

Regards

• 9 months later...

Same issues here.  Was working fine a few days ago but when I attempted to cast to a single speaker or to a speaker group, I experience the same issues...connection sound from speaker(s) but then no audio and in PA app, it seems to replay over and over the last 1-2 seconds (from where it was stopped previously).

• 1 month later...

OK, I was having this issue when casting to a new Nest Audio.

Then I remembered I was using AdAway's non-root VPN ad-blocking solution.. so I turned off AdAway's VPN, restarted PA (cleared all open apps) and lo... it works fine.

Hopefully that may help someone.

Android 11, PA Build 945

• 7 months later...
On 11/2/2022 at 1:10 PM, kjcraw4d said:

Same issues here.  Was working fine a few days ago but when I attempted to cast to a single speaker or to a speaker group, I experience the same issues...connection sound from speaker(s) but then no audio and in PA app, it seems to replay over and over the last 1-2 seconds (from where it was stopped previously).

On 11/2/2022 at 6:52 PM, andrewilley said:

@maxmp could you look into this please, being reported by multiple users and I'm seeing the same thing when I tested it on my system too.

Andre

Was this ever resolved? I have the same exact issue, except it never has worked. Connection to Chromecast, but no audio. The Chromecast device displays the song and the progress bar proceeds with no audio. On the phone, the Poweramp app skips over the same 1-2 seconds and never actually advancing.

I've tried resetting all of the audio settings and playing different songs with different encodings to no avail.