Android 11 Update

etienv

Android 11 breaks Poweramp after update.  The app can no longer find the Music folder.

Poweramp build 882, Full version.

Android 11, 

Pixel 3

Open app... With message doesn't look like anything here.  Select folder... Cannot select drop down arrow next to internal storage press select.. doesn't find anything.  Also tried select folder option, select music folder, use this folder and still can't find anything.

Music folder is full of about 200 mp3s.

Thanks

Edited by etienv

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning my alarm didn't go off as well.  It was a downloaded ring tone.  This tells me that the cause of this and Poweramp not being able to find media anymore that Google changed something in the file structure of the phone.  All of my media is still on the phone but the media cannot be found by the app.

Google seems to be on a mission to break apps which want to access files. Which is really annoying as the whole point of an operating system is to allow programs to run and access data. It would be like Windows suddenly deciding that Photoshop can't access my D:\ media files drive.

Andre

I suppose that mobile android devices are more used for things like banking, payments etc so more security is probably agood thing. Thing that bugs me is that their documentation is so useless that developers end up having "to figure" it out for themselves. My programming skills are probably above average but I am unable to keep up with google's (often poorly implemented) changes.

Poweramp is fully compatible with the "new" file access in Android 10 and 11. If you previously used File Access Legacy Mode disable it as it's not supported anymore by 11. You'll need to give folder permissions on the next Poweramp start in Music Folders dialog.

The file paths means nothing for the "new" file access scheme as apps don't have file system access.

Thanks!

Well that's the issue.

Internal storage is not selectable so I cannot goto the music folder from there and the /system_ext/ does not have the form folder.  I tried using the + sign to add it but even though the files are there Poweramp still doesn't see anything.  I've even tried to check and reselect the permissions for the app in settings to no effect.

Believe me if it's user error, or a pebkac I would not need help.  

My alarm also uses a downloaded ring tone and I notice that wasn't working either this morning.  I know that's a Google thing but the problem seems to be related to me.

Also it was working with Android 10.  It's only since Tuesdays major update with Android 11 that it's not working anymore.

Edited by etienv

Alright this worked.  I had to delete the app and reinstall it again.  This time when I opened Poweramp it asked for where the library is and has "Pixel 3" but I couldn't select or expand the tree, however I selected the + button and was able to add it from there.

I am very sorry about that I should have checked that myself.

Thanks.

55 minutes ago, etienv said:

As for "File Access Legacy Mode" not sure where that is and don't recall ever using it or turning it on. 

I think you've solved this issue with reinstall that has picked up Android 11 settings - but in case anyone else needs it, File Access Legacy Mode is in Settings > Misc. 

Andre

Android 11 also broke Poweramp for me. I tried reinstalling, and that worked for a day. Now it's broken again. Attempting to re-add my Music folder results in the error message: "Invalid storage. Please use sidebar in the system dialog to select the target provider plugin."

File Access Legacy Mode isn't even an option in my Misc settings. I tried resetting to default anyway, and that did nothing.

File Access Legacy Mode is very likely disabled on Android 11, as Google depreciated it a while ago and were planning to remove access completely on this release, insisting apps use the new Storage Access Framework.

@maxmp any thoughts on this one, sounds like @DickSledge has tried the obvious solutions. Which device by the way, and is this an official or beta version of Android 11 (the official release only started rolling out a few days ago, on limited devices)? 

Andre

Yes, I think this is the case.  I didn't notice when I reinstalled the app last week but it seems I have a beta version now and that option 'File Legacy Mode' is missing from the settings so I assume it's removed now.

Android 11 is an official release, (Not beta) just released last Tuesday, but it's only limited to pixel 2 and up (and some other devices).

Edited by etienv

File access legacy option is only needed if your ROM is broken (not the case for Pixel ROMs) or if you used package disabling apps and disabled system files picker and related, and you are not able/don't want to restore those.

More details here: 

As Poweramp still targets SDK level 29 (and Google don't require us to push to 30), it's still possible to use Legacy option in Android 11 and that will be re-enabled in the next 883 build.

• 2 weeks later...

Android 11 broke Poweramp for me as well - same as users above.  I have tried removing it, clearing the app storage and reinstalling it.  This works but only temporarily...by the following morning it is broken again and won't find any music! I have a Pixel 3a.  I hate updates there is nothing useful and only headaches! Please help!

3 minutes ago, Knobbly said:

No idea...just the paid for version that is on the play store.

Settings > About will show you the build number.

Play Store is at 882 at the moment I think, so it might be worth downloading the latest 884 from the website as there have been some minor Android 11 tweaks in the last few builds:

Unfortunately Android is a bit of a moving target for app developers, and Google keep moving the goalposts (especially regarding file system access).

Andre

Thanks andrewilley. If I download the newest version directly from the website will I have to pay again for the full version at the end of the 15 day trial? I have only installed things through the playstore before so not sure how this works.  Sorry for lame questions this isn't my area of expertise!