Option to hide ".mp3" from the end of titles

Collcroc123

I have hundreds of songs downloaded to Poweramp, but a majority of them do not have an official "title", just the mp3 file's name. The problem is that Poweramp still shows the ".mp3" at the end. It would be nice if there was a setting where the app just checks if a title has ".mp3" in it and automatically remove it. You could even include a kind of whitelist in case a song's title is actually supposed to have ".mp3" in it.

Screenshot_20200907-014129.jpg

49 minutes ago, Bencherished said:

This feature is not necessary. It's even better being displayed so that, you can know the type of music file you have. 

I don't care about the file type, I know all of my songs are MP3s. I also mentioned it should be optional, so if people want it to say ".mp3" they could keep that way.

37 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

The real answer is to tag the files properly in the first place, so there's no need to see any filenames at all. Any decent batch tag editor could automatically create Title tags from the filenames for you.

Andre

But if each song has a different name, wouldn't you still have to go through every single song to change the name and remove the .mp3? Idk if I've ever found a batch editing software that automatically did that. That would be a lot of work for someone like me who has hundreds of songs with no tag.

1 hour ago, Collcroc123 said:

But if each song has a different name, wouldn't you still have to go through every single song to change the name and remove the .mp3? 

Using a batch tag editor you can choose which parts of the filenames you want to assign to which tags - for example, in your case, the whole base name would go to Title. You can even break filenames down if you have a known format such as "artist - title.mp3". And you can run it as a batch task for your whole music folder tree in one go.

Andre

6 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Using a batch tag editor you can choose which parts of the filenames you want to assign to which tags - for example, in your case, the whole base name would go to Title. You can even break filenames down if you have a known format such as "artist - title.mp3". And you can run it as a batch task for your whole music folder tree in one go.

Andre

Do you know of any "batch tag editors"? I don't even know where to start looking for one.

On 9/8/2020 at 4:32 PM, andrewilley said:

Personally I use TagScanner on my own PC, but MP3Tag is also often mentioned here. 

Andre

I just used MP3Tag and it successfully gave all of my songs Title tags, but it still shows .mp3 after the song's title, regardless what it is. For example, one song's file name is "Lilypads.mp3", and the Title tag is just "Lilypads", but it still shows .mp3 inside Poweramp.

Edit: another example is I have an album where all of the filenames begin with numbers, but the numbers are not present in the Title tag, yet Poweramp is still showing the numbers and .mp3

Edited by Collcroc123

You may need to do a Full Rescan (In Settings > Library) to get the changes to register if the filesystem is not indicating that the files have been modified. It's also worth a quick check to see that you have not accidentally enabled Settings > Library > Lists > Filename as Title.

The missing digits at the start of filenames only happens with minimally tagged files which contain no Track Number information, in which case PA checks for numeric information at the start and/or end of filenames (such as "01 Rolling in the Deep" and "02 Rumour Has It") which it interprets as a track number rather than being part of the song name. You'll see those numbers if you enable Track# display in lists or the Player screen. 

As you have found though, this can have unintended consequences if the Track# tag has been deliberately omitted because there is no number relevant to that song - such as in your cases, or for songs in a folder full of Singles which have intentionally had their album name and track number tags removed. For example, I have about 20+ songs in my 'Singles' folder which still generate phantom track numbers (e.g. "99 Red Balloons - Nena.mp3" and "5 Years Time - Noah and the Whale.mp3" mistakenly show as track numbers 99 and 5, and even "With or Without You - U2.mp3" wrongly interprets as being track 2). I have reported this as a bug in the past, and suggested that a simple on/off toggle control for this track-number-parsing feature in Settings > Library > Lists would solve the issue. See this thread: 

Andre

• 8 months later...