How Poweramp reads multiple genres

I use MusicBee to organize and tag my music, and MusicBee separates the sub-genres I add to it like the first picture, in 2 different lines. Poweramp only reads these as one and only reads the first genre. It would be nice to not have to re-edit the tags into on line like the second picture just for Poweramp. If there is a way to make MusicBee save as one genre as the default or have Poweramp read multiple genres lines, please tell me both of these music players have a ton of features.

Annotation 2020-05-03 194227.png

Annotation 2020-05-03 194246.png

Vorbis tagging is a lesser-used format compared to ID3 (Vorbis is mostly used for FLAC and OGG files) and unlike ID3 the spec supports multiple instances of the same tag field within one file. For example, you have four instances of the TITLE tag in your sample - which doesn't really make much sense to me, are all of them picked up? As far as I know, PA expects just one instance of any given tag, and multiple Genre names are handled by using a separator character (the default being ";" or "//", but it's configurable) within that one tag. I don't know whether Max has any plans to change implement reading duplicate tags - possibly when he adds multiple Artist names support - but for now, using a separator character would be the best way forward.

I don't know MusicBee I'm afraid. I tend to avoid systems that do too much automatically. I'm more of a manual control freak (so there's no iTunes on anything I own). I use TagScanner to adjust my tags, but although it can do lots of batch editing tasks, including copying between and appending tags, I don't know how (or if) it handles multiple instances of the same tag as I don't have any examples.

Andre

Poweramp ought to do more with the tags it's provided. Whether they're one-source like iTunes downloads, standardized like MusicBrainz tagged files, or completely manually placed there like Andre and some other people, Poweramp should pay attention to the tags to sort the music it's provided with.

Poweramp is for people like Andre, though, that use only what the standard provides them with and expects standard behaviour 100% of the time.

We need a music player that uses tags like multi-genres, albumartistsort and MusicBrainz IDs. I don't know that Poweramp is that player but it'd surely be nice.

One day I'll learn to code and make it myself. No mediastore, completely FOSS, and probably hated by people that tag their music manually and expect simple behaviour.

…Oh, the genre tags? Yeah, Poweramp should support multiple instances of the same tag, specially when it's genre tags because music is not universally one-genre per track and that's an universal fact, so I think it's essential and Poweramp should implement it.

On 5/4/2020 at 3:41 AM, andrewilley said:

For example, you have four instances of the TITLE tag in your sample - which doesn't really make much sense to me, are all of them picked up?

Andre… Those are… multiple selected tracks's tags…

2 hours ago, null said:

specially when it's genre tags because music is not universally one-genre per track and that's an universal fact.

Poweramp does support multiple genres per track, and in order to keep it compatible with the most common standard (ID3) as well as Vorbis for FLAC/etc, they are contained within one field, separated by ";" or "//" (or any other characters, it's user-definable). In the future multiple instances of the same Vorbis tag might be supported, but for now there is a fully working solution that functions across all common tagging systems.

As the saying goes, the great thing about Standards is there are so many to choose from.

Andre

Archived