A-Z scrollbar in folder hierarchy view

Hello there,

I'm still using this app exclusively for my audio needs.

However, updates came and went, and a simple (I think) feature is being ignored.

Please add an A-Z scrollbar in the folder hierarchy view.

It has already been implemented for almost every other view, but not for the folder hierarchy view, which is the view that would benefit the most from it (don't you think so?).

Anyway, this is a great app, nothing else comes even close, mainly because of the folder hierarchy view (which i use exclusively) but these little things are annoying more than they should be.

Thank you and keep up the good work.

Hello! A-Z is used when it's possible to sort given list in alphanumeric order. As for folders + files hierarchy, folders are always grouped on top, files on bottom. So that A-Z scroll can be applied either to folders ot to files, and that's confusing or/and requires additional work to explain that to average user somehow. Thanks!

2 hours ago, maxmp said:

Hello! A-Z is used when it's possible to sort given list in alphanumeric order. As for folders + files hierarchy, folders are always grouped on top, files on bottom. So that A-Z scroll can be applied either to folders ot to files, and that's confusing or/and requires additional work to explain that to average user somehow. Thanks!

This can easily be solved by adding a small folder icon next to the letters on top of the list, then just have letters afterwards.  e.g...

Looking at the edge of the screen where the A-Z would normally be, there would be a small folder icon at the top, then the normal A-Z list.  When using the scrollbar, the letters would appear as usual, but a small folder icon would appear next to those letters that correspond to folders i.e. the ones on top.

8 hours ago, superluig164 said:

This can easily be solved by adding a small folder icon next to the letters on top of the list, then just have letters afterwards.  e.g...

So you are suggesting having two full A-Z lists in the scroll-thumb area, the upper section being A-Z for folders, and then below that another A-Z for files?

Andre

I’m happy with andrewilley’s compromise, because I organize my folders into either pure folders or pure files. So the compromise will work just fine.

As for the superluig164’s solution it would be harder to make but still works nice (if I understood it correctly). I mean having it as an option won’t hurt anybody. i know i would definitely use it.

Since they both contributed two nice ideas, I thought I should offer a suggestion too, which I think would be easy for the average user to understand, but no idea how hard it is to make.

Add a folder/music icon toggle on top of the A-Z scrollbar.

Like so:

Image 1

image.thumb.png.48e891b3e3c86f7de916fb97819972a0.png

Image 2

image.thumb.jpeg.d6d84d6b5d9871974a7fb44e2ec6ad39.jpeg

(Icons were shamefully stolen from Poweramp)

When the folder icon is pressed (image1), the list jumps up to the folder section, if it is pressed again (the music icon, image 2) the list would jump to the files section. So you’ll be toggling between folders/files sections.

Whatever section you’re using, the A-Z scrollbar would scroll through that section only.

I hope explained it properly, and I hope you read this and consider implementing any of these solutions.

Thank you for your time.

41 minutes ago, joseph_peace said:

I’m happy with andrewilley’s compromise, because I organize my folders into either pure folders or pure files. So the compromise will work just fine.

As for the superluig164’s solution it would be harder to make but still works nice (if I understood it correctly). I mean having it as an option won’t hurt anybody. i know i would definitely use it.

Since they both contributed two nice ideas, I thought I should offer a suggestion too, which I think would be easy for the average user to understand, but no idea how hard it is to make.

Add a folder/music icon toggle on top of the A-Z scrollbar.

Like so:

Image 1

image.thumb.png.48e891b3e3c86f7de916fb97819972a0.png

Image 2

image.thumb.jpeg.d6d84d6b5d9871974a7fb44e2ec6ad39.jpeg

(Icons were shamefully stolen from Poweramp)

When the folder icon is pressed (image1), the list jumps up to the folder section, if it is pressed again (the music icon, image 2) the list would jump to the files section. So you’ll be toggling between folders/files sections.

Whatever section you’re using, the A-Z scrollbar would scroll through that section only.

I hope explained it properly, and I hope you read this and consider implementing any of these solutions.

Thank you for your time.

I like this, this is pretty good, but I think it might be unclear that users are supposed to tap the button.  That's the reason why I suggested what I did.  However, with proper design cues, this could work well.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not concerned with the folder hierarchy, but what I want is an A-Z scrollbar within a play list, sorted by artist name. I have a play list that is composed of more than 40 artists/groups and over 875 songs, and it's a huge pain to have to scroll through them to find the artist I'm looking for.

Archived