Skipping, Stuttering Songs

Stodgers

Motorola Play G6 on Android 8.0.0, Poweramp v3-build-830-play

1. Phone clears out entire library musical content when the phone turns off or is restarted. Album/artist/song images still show, just nothing will play. Then cannot find folders for several hours. Have tried ejecting and remounting SD card, which is not formatted as internal, both physically and virtually.
  2. Phone skips songs during album or playlist playback and the "Failed to Play File' error shows up. When I click on the file manually, it plays fine. The pattern repeats after two songs play, i.e. play song 1, 2; skip 3 play 4; click 3 play 3, 4; skip 5. Etc.
  3. Songs sometimes stutter during playback. I can't find the buffer setting in this version of Poweramp?

First, try the latest version of the app (835 at the moment).

The buffer settings can be found in Settings > Audio > Output > [your chosen output method, e.g. Hi-Res Output] > tap on the little cogwheel icon next to the output device you want to enable/edit (e.g. Wired Headset/AUX).

Andre

Thanks Andre, I got the buffering issue fixed and updated the version. The other two problems still persist (#1 & 2). 

I should mention, I sent this same bug via the bug reporting form 10 days ago and got no response. Not sure how long that usually takes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I have the stutter problem since... I don't even remember. I just bought a better memory card (128gb sandisk extreme pro) but I still get at least 1 random stutter per album (like every hour of play) it's 1 brief "pause" I setup buffer settings at the max possible for everything but I still have the issue. I'm on honor 8 android 8.0.0. I'm using output open sl es with Bluetooth and headphones via jack. I'm switching to the Java based one now and test more

The issue with skipping tracks due to backup restored with the Poweramp license from other device was fixed in 838 (the current build on Play). Please update.

Re: stutter - what is the output device you're using (BT, 3.5, anything else?) In any case raising Audio Buffer by +100ms (Settings / Audio / Output / your output / your device) should resolve it, if not, this is governor/cpu issue (esp. if that happens, e.g. when you use Chrome or other app). In this case specific per-device system options, like excluding Poweramp + Poweramp Unlocker from battery/sleep/etc. optimizations should be used. Thanks!

1 hour ago, maxmp said:

The issue with skipping tracks due to backup restored with the Poweramp license from other device was fixed in 838 (the current build on Play). Please update.

Re: stutter - what is the output device you're using (BT, 3.5, anything else?) In any case raising Audio Buffer by +100ms (Settings / Audio / Output / your output / your device) should resolve it, if not, this is governor/cpu issue (esp. if that happens, e.g. when you use Chrome or other app). In this case specific per-device system options, like excluding Poweramp + Poweramp Unlocker from battery/sleep/etc. optimizations should be used. Thanks!

I updated yesterday and got the stutter today. I think it might a problem with honor phones. It keeps closing apps even when I tell it not to. It doesn't close Poweramp, but maybe it causes the stutter. 

Also buffer is at max for every slider... 

Changing the output could help? 

Thank you, the update appears to have fixed the skipping issue I was having. Any thoughts on the library issues?

One other issue I've noticed, but forgot to mention initially. When I plug in my aux and set the volume, I have everything maxxed at 100% (car stereo playback). When I unplug, then plug back in (which restarts the audio immediately), there is a moment where the audio is at the consistent level as before, then suddenly drops a few db and remains lower. No amount of fiddling with the volume controls brings it back.

This is just issue (1) remaining I assume? Have you tried doing a clean reformat on the SD Card, then copy all your music back? It does sound as though the card isn't mounting quickly enough for PA on reboot, but that usually would only be a matter of seconds rather than hours.

Andre

Hi again guys. I am still having this issue but mostly only on Android Auto (where my phone is plugged into the car by USB). So like the fix for 3.5 headphones, I increased the buffer to huge for USB also. But USB has still been skipping. Any other suggestions? This seems to have started out of nowhere... And yes, I'm using latest version of PA (838). 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. 

I solved my skipping / stuttering issue. I was certain the skipping and stuttering started when I updated from v3 build 830 to build 386 and it persisted when I updated again to build 838. So I've reverted to build 830. I get no skipping or stuttering in my playback on build 830, and it's been a couple of days now. My phone is not that old, so I don't think it's unreasonable that a 3 year old phone should be able to handle PA's latest version properly, but it seems that might not be the case. I'm using LG V20 (released Oct 2016). So hopefully if anyone else has this problem, or is still using an LG V20, this might be your solution too. 

Can't remember which version, but one of my version upgrades caused what sounds like your stuttering problem. I don't use Hi-Res because all the music on my phone is MP3 VBR LAME V0 which is about as good as you can get in MP3 land, but by no means qualifies as Hi-Res (for that matter FLAC ripped from audio CD isn't Hi-Res either). I went to settings -> Audio -> Output -> OpenSL ES Output and then the settings gear for Wired... and Bluetooth and increased both the Buffer ms and Buffer #. This has cured the stuttering up to and including the current v840-841 versions of PA.

@griff the problem is that there is no difference in audio subsystem between those builds, so it may be better just due to (some) some option reset to defaults (you can just do Audio / Output / Restore Defaults instead). In any case, is that Android Auto with USB connection? What is the output used by Poweramp when Auto is connected? (That's visible in Audio Info dialog - shown by long press on main screen or equalizer screen meta info). Thanks!

@w3wilkes Good to know, ta! 

@maxmp I did not try resetting the defaults. If I update again I will for sure. It is with Android Auto and with 3.5 headphones. Both were giving me skipping / stuttering. When I temporarily solved this with Hi-Res Output, the skipping still persisted with USB / Android Auto, but it was a little better. But it was fixed with 3.5 headphones. Then of course, it led to another issue, which is why I reverted to build 830. 

Archived