.m3u playlist entries with special characters in filename not appearing

re:fi.64

Hello!

I have to say, Poweramp v3 looks amazing! However, I've run into a problem with my .m3u playlists. As you can see in the first attachment, I have a playlist containing some filenames with special characters in them. However, when Poweramp imports the playlist, it only shows METEOR, the one item without special characters in the filename. The songs are all showing up in my library; they're just not inside the playlist. 

Screenshot_20180925-192151.png

On 9/26/2018 at 7:20 AM, andrewilley said:

The M3U spec technically does not allow for non-ASCII characters. Try renaming the playlist files using the .M3U8 extender, and ensure that the text encoding  mode for the file is UTF-8 to properly support the non-standard character set.

Andre

Ah, that did the trick. Sorry for the noise!

I know the issue with m3u spec, but Android media library can read m3u playlists with special characters and having Poweramp behave differently is definitely not ideal. 

While I'm normally all for following specification, implementing this fix would save a lot of headache

Disregard, I did a bit of research. I understand although, I manage all my music through mediamonkey and sync my playlists through there. Any recommendations. Some of my tracks may have these unsupported characters that PA is not seeing on my playlists. Any suggestions?? Thanks

M3U8 has the same line-by-line text layout as M3U, it just uses the more extensive Unicode (UTF-8) character encoding, rather than the more limited original ASCII character set of M3U. That's what the spec says anyway, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U#M3U8 . Often a simple rename of the extension will do the job as the file itself must already be encoded in UTF-8 if it contains a wide range of characters. 

Andre

Archived