Hello everyone,

I have this version of Poweramp app (unlocked version) on my Huawei P10Plus smartphone.

I want to import my itunes playlists on Poweramp. As far as I know, I need to save them in a folder of my smartphone as .m3u files. Correct?

In this case the imported playlist didn't recognize all the songs in the playlists (the number of songs on the device is the same of Itunes ones), how to fix it? Those are the playlists based on files..what are the system playlists instead?

Thank you

You state that all the tracks are the same as in your itunes setup. However, your .m3u playlists will have been created on another device or pc. The pathnames for each track will be different for your Huawei device so I suspect you have not been able to play any tracks from it.  Try using my app New Playlist Manager as it can import foreign playlists. It will build a new android playlist which you then import into Poweramp. It also produces an errorlog which will tell you if there was a problem. Sometimes foreign characters are not recognised so a track containing them cannot not be recognised.

Cool. It worked with the app u suggested to me. I was able to find few errors and fix it after a library complete rescan. Only one thing:it was fixed if i import "system playlist" but there are still differences if I import the playlist from files m3u directly with the scan of the folder with playlist. Why? What is the difference between the two import way?? It may help me if i have to replace a playlist i modify on itunes avoiding a complete rescan. Thank you. 

When you import system playlists into Poweramp you are actually importing android playlists into Poweramp's own media database. It is different with .m3u playlists, these are not really imported but simply presented by Poweramp as "file based" playlists. You can not edit (add or delete tracks) with file based playlists. If there are any differences between the imported android playlist and the original m3u playlist then this is down to Poweramp. 

What i still do not understand is how a playlist, created with itunes and on another device, is presented with any tracks at all by poweraamp as the paths for the tracks must be different.

1 hour ago, flyingdutchman said:

When you import system playlists into Poweramp you are actually importing android playlists into Poweramp's own media database. It is different with .m3u playlists, these are not really imported but simply presented by Poweramp as "file based" playlists. You can not edit (add or delete tracks) with file based playlists. If there are any differences between the imported android playlist and the original m3u playlist then this is down to Poweramp. 

What i still do not understand is how a playlist, created with itunes and on another device, is presented with any tracks at all by poweraamp as the paths for the tracks must be different.

Yes, logically, the paths are different and no file in the imported playlist should be present on the smartphone. But the final result is different luckily. I attach here one of my playlists in .m3u format just to let you see. If I import the playlist as a file, it doesn't match, but if I import it as system playlist it matches 100 %.

Foo Fighters.m3u

Well my procedure is as following:

1. Export .m3u playlists from Itunes 

2. Save playlist in a folder on smatphone

3. In Poweramp settings, Folders and library, in Music folder I select the folder with my .mp3 files and the folder with the playlists.

In this case i import playlists as .m3u directly from the files, I saved in the smatphone folder, and they don't match with original playlists from itunes (not all the tracks are recognized).

4. In Poweramp settings, Folders and library, I tap on Import System playlist.

In this case I can import the playlist correctly after a complete rescan of my library (tap on last option in  Poweramp settings, Folders and library)

I hope to have clarified the steps.

Thank you for the support.

Oh well, it is quite difficult to compare and check it (unusual characters in the names I mean) because i have more than 8k tracks, 38 playlists that range from 10 to 1.5k tracks...

I was trying to identify a method, less time consuming, to import in PA my playlists exported from itunes (in m3u or txt), because I modify the playlists quite often and it is quite hard to repeat that procedure everytime.

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed in my library, all the files that are within folders in my music directory do not show up in the playlist.

My library is setup on my PC so in my M:\Media drive I have a folder called Music and a folder called Playlists.

For any albums I have, there is a subfolder inside the music folder and all the tracks are put in there. So for example, for Calvin Harris' Motion album, the complete file path would be

M:\Music\Calvin Harris - Motion\*tracks*

Any singles or music that I dont have albums for just sit in the root of themusic directory, so

M:\Music\*example.mp3*

This has been the formatting for my music ever since I started building a library, so all my itunes playlists files point the music directories to the correct folders.

Everytime my playlist file is changed, I export them to the M:\Playlists folder.

I then copy both the music and p[laylists folder to the root of a USB Stick.

I plug the USB stick into my car (I have an android head unit running Poweramp) and Poweramp does a rescan of ONLY the music and playlist folders on my USB

Every file in a playlist that is on the root directory of the music folder shows up in the playlist fine without issue, but anything that is in a folder in my itunes playlist such as Music\Calvin Harris - Motion\*tracks* do not show up in my playlist.

There shouldnt be anything wrong with the paths as its exactly the same as whats on my computer and my itunes playlists have been built off that, so the m3u files are all pointing correctly. Also it manages to read all my files that are in the root of my Music directory without issue, it just cant seem to go one folder deeper for some reason.

13 minutes ago, sulylunat said:

I have noticed in my library, all the files that are within folders in my music directory do not show up in the playlist.

My library is setup on my PC so in my M:\Media drive I have a folder called Music and a folder called Playlists.

For any albums I have, there is a subfolder inside the music folder and all the tracks are put in there. So for example, for Calvin Harris' Motion album, the complete file path would be

M:\Music\Calvin Harris - Motion\*tracks*

Any singles or music that I dont have albums for just sit in the root of themusic directory, so

M:\Music\*example.mp3*

This has been the formatting for my music ever since I started building a library, so all my itunes playlists files point the music directories to the correct folders.

Everytime my playlist file is changed, I export them to the M:\Playlists folder.

I then copy both the music and p[laylists folder to the root of a USB Stick.

I plug the USB stick into my car (I have an android head unit running Poweramp) and Poweramp does a rescan of ONLY the music and playlist folders on my USB

Every file in a playlist that is on the root directory of the music folder shows up in the playlist fine without issue, but anything that is in a folder in my itunes playlist such as Music\Calvin Harris - Motion\*tracks* do not show up in my playlist.

There shouldnt be anything wrong with the paths as its exactly the same as whats on my computer and my itunes playlists have been built off that, so the m3u files are all pointing correctly. Also it manages to read all my files that are in the root of my Music directory without issue, it just cant seem to go one folder deeper for some reason.

Just realised I got this the wrong way round. The files within subfolders are the files that show up. The files in the root music directory are the ones that dont

On 7/3/2018 at 7:49 PM, flyingdutchman said:

You state that all the tracks are the same as in your itunes setup. However, your .m3u playlists will have been created on another device or pc. The pathnames for each track will be different for your Huawei device so I suspect you have not been able to play any tracks from it.  Try using my app New Playlist Manager as it can import foreign playlists. It will build a new android playlist which you then import into Poweramp. It also produces an errorlog which will tell you if there was a problem. Sometimes foreign characters are not recognised so a track containing them cannot not be recognised.

Just tried your app and it works great! I've just tried it on a test device but it shouldnt have any issues hopefully when I come to doing it in my car with my USB. Its a shame we should even have to use workarouds like this to be honest, but I'm glad there is at least a way. Thanks

@sulylunat to deal with your previous post. Your examples with a * are using what is known as a wildcard. For example a path like \music\*.mp3 will only show you those tracks ending in .mp3. The * will match any character.  This format only works with file managers but not as a reference to tracks in .m3u playlists. 

The * will match the whole string whereas a ? matches only one character so for instance *.mp? would match mp3 and mp4.

.... or you use them to show examples  :)

Archived