please support midi files

serene5

• 2 years later...

hello, I relive the post because I'd like them to add the application to midi. for me is the best player and seen, but it is the only application that and purchased for my smartphone, the rest are all free. but and although there is not much demand, I also ask you to enter the midi player, midi files I have many that I love and I can not play.

So I ask that if you have a little time, we incorporate the midi to the player.

thank you very much.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 11/4/2010 at 10:52 PM, admin said:

I can add support for this type.

Well @maxmpsaid that ^, there is not a reason to not implement this, right? Midi files are rare these days but some people do use it. There are some already working alternative apps on Play Store, but I don't see a need to actually maintain to music player on my device. I support this feature request too! 

I think Max said if there was enough demand he could add support for it - presumably by adding some sort of library that can render such files into audio bitstreams? Not sure whether he feels there is sufficient demand yet (this thread is 10 years old) but you never know...

Andre

7 hours ago, andrewilley said:

he could add support for it - presumably by adding some sort of library that can render such files into audio bitstreams? 

Hmm, looks like android still doesn't have a full native support of midi yet. But I think Amidi API could be helpful 🤔? And I remember the first music I played on my parent's phone were actually .mid files, in the 2000's 😄. So my support is based on kinda "nostalgic" feeling. Mid files are very rare these days. Frankly, even I, myself, don't use the format mid regularly. So if adding support for mid files would be a pain, I totally understand. 

• 1 year later...

MIDI files are not audio files, they contain no actual recorded musical (wave form) content at all.

Think of them as sheet music for computers, containing timestamped instruction codes defining what notes each synthesised 'instrument' should play, and when. Until they are rendered into musical form by appropriate software, they are just a bunch of notes and timings.

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

Until they are rendered into musical form by appropriate software, they are just a bunch of notes and timings.

...and there are excellent softwares out there to do that specific thing. In general, we are not using midi files for listening purposes, like when you're listening to a song. And, you can't just play back midi files cause as @andrewilley said, they do not contain any actual musical waveforms to play it back, so it needs a built-in software synthesizer with a soundfont to be able to play it back. It's a specific thing, I don't see a point in here why it should be playable in Poweramp.

• 4 months later...