Want smart playlists? Here's how! Should work 100% if done properly.

Cookie

This is ridiculous. You think so, I think so. It's been over 2 years since users have been requesting better handling playlists, for smart playlists, and we still don't get a solution.

Most users using the app have bought it; we have spent money on this, because we like the app, but also to support the developers. Support for them to try and give us the best experience we can get out of the app, right? So what do we do?

They won't ever listen to us when they have a steady income thanks to the high rating the app has. 4,5 average from 537,220 ratings.

I say we edit our past ratings and give them 1 star, in both trial and paid version. If their standing in the store is being affected maybe then they'll realize paying attention to customers matter. Especially in topics so highly demanded.

I would suggest massively asking for refunds, but since Google changed how that's handled very recently it wouldn't affect them directly, and that's what the point is, for them to notice this isn't a bunch of idiots complaining that is raining when it's winter.

Such a shame, Poweramp, you are one step from being the greatest music app, but are still rooted in place, been there for years now.

And just so it's clear, it doesn't matter if better playlists are implemented directly or as 3rd party, hell, right now no one would care as long as it gets done. I would pay another 5 bucks for that 3rd party, god.

Let's do this, guys. It doesn't take more than 2 minutes to get it done.

This is ridiculous. You think so, I think so. It's been over 2 years since users have been requesting better handling playlists, for smart playlists, and we still don't get a solution.

Most users using the app have bought it; we have spent money on this, because we like the app, but also to support the developers. Support for them to try and give us the best experience we can get out of the app, right? So what do we do?

They won't ever listen to us when they have a steady income thanks to the high rating the app has. 4,5 average from 537,220 ratings.

I say we edit our past ratings and give them 1 star, in both trial and paid version. If their standing in the store is being affected maybe then they'll realize paying attention to customers matter. Especially in topics so highly demanded.

I would suggest massively asking for refunds, but since Google changed how that's handled very recently it wouldn't affect them directly, and that's what the point is, for them to notice this isn't a bunch of idiots complaining that is raining when it's winter.

Such a shame, Poweramp, you are one step from being the greatest music app, but are still rooted in place, been there for years now.

And just so it's clear, it doesn't matter if better playlists are implemented directly or as 3rd party, hell, right now no one would care as long as it gets done. I would pay another 5 bucks for that 3rd party, god.

Let's do this, guys. It doesn't take more than 2 minutes to get it done.

This is ridiculous. You're encouraging refunds for an app that does 99% of everything you'd like, and because you're crazy picky have decided it doesn't work? Madness.

Anyway, I use smart playlists fine. I use the program musicbee which exports smart playlists as .m3u everytime I sync I get a static copy of the smart playlist exported to the phone.

Interesting to hear about musicbee. I'm not sure I'm keen to install another app to fix this but it's a cool idea.

I figure it's harder to program this than you say cookie. Indeed you've had 2 years to create a 3rd party solution yourself. It's difficult as a customer sometimes-you feel entitled because you spent money and in some respects you are. However, you have bought the app "as is" -meaning you are only entitled to the features advertised and no more. The fact you get updates with new features (and not just bug fixes) is actually rather generous.

• 4 weeks later...

This is ridiculous. You're encouraging refunds for an app that does 99% of everything you'd like, and because you're crazy picky have decided it doesn't work? Madness.

Anyway, I use smart playlists fine. I use the program musicbee which exports smart playlists as .m3u everytime I sync I get a static copy of the smart playlist exported to the phone.

While I don't think this 1-star rating thing is the way to go I fully agree that the lack of smart playlists is what's ridiculous here. ALL of the serious competition have had it for ages, and the PA guys have promised to add it years ago. Today they don't even comment on this anymore, which makes them appear a bit arrogant towards loyal users. I for one have long since switched to GoneMad player, which - compared to PA - is rather ugly, but featurewise cant be beat. Should PA someday add smart playlists, I might consider going back to it. 

Being that I am picky about my playlists, the ONLY 'efficient' (read: not time consuming) method I can even find is to use Windows to create a directory list of my music folder, then I manually remove the files I don't want in the list and save as m3u8. Clunky but at least gets it done in about ten minutes, compared to a good hour or so of "long press, Add to Playlist, tap, tap, back, tap, tap, long press....."

When I've built playlists on my PC for a lot of files, I've done it the same way - built a list of all the files with their paths (using "dir /b /s" in a Command Line prompt in the appropriate directory) and then edited it in a text editor to remove what I don't want and change the path details to a more device-friendly layout if needed. It's actually quite simple, but a rather geeky solution and not ideal for GUI-only users - and in no way could it be described as "smart", it's about as low-level as you can get.

Andre

• 1 year later...

Archived