Poweramp builds 978-981

maxmp

2 hours ago, maxmp said:

these files are handled by Android codec and no any additional gain processing happens for them, meaning Poweramp doesn’t read or process replay gain tags for these. Firmware may or may not support some loudness for such files, but this is not documented nor we can know status of such processing via some API. On the devices I tested no such processing happens (Samsungs one ui 5/6, Pixels @ 13/14), but as this is not documented anywhere I guess it may change any time without warning.

Just to clarify: I understand that Poweramp doesn't know whether the decoder is applying any gain but the part I'm confused about is why Poweramp is unable to read RG tags. Is metadata being read by the android decoder and then passed to Poweramp instead of the tags (including RG tags) being read directly by Poweramp? Is this why Poweramp is unable to read or process RG tags but is able to display title, artist, etc?

Edited by CrimsonSky
Tried to be more specific about my question

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: Seems like my main issue was solved by turning off the no reshuffle on large lists. However the issue of me searching a song and it instead playing the first song in the order instead of the selected song is an issue when "no reshuffle large lists" is on. Steps on how to trigger below.

No reshuffle large lists on.

Start a shuffled playlist or all songs or rated songs.

CHANGE the shuffled type. For me default is songs/categories. In this example I changed it to All.

Search for a song and click to add it. Instead of it playing the song it just goes back to the first song in the order.

Is this intended? I have turned this setting off anyways but figured I'd mention it. The wording on the settings seems like this is unintentional 

4 hours ago, CrimsonSky said:

Just to clarify: I understand that Poweramp doesn't know whether the decoder is applying any gain but the part I'm confused about is why Poweramp is unable to read RG tags. Is metadata being read by the android decoder and then passed to Poweramp instead of the tags (including RG tags) being read directly by Poweramp? Is this why Poweramp is unable to read or process RG tags but is able to display title, artist, etc?

That's precisely what I want to know as well.

5 hours ago, winte w said:

When you press and hold the play button to stop and then press play again, there is no sound!

Confirmed. If you press-and-hold the Play/Pause button, the status should revert to 'Stopped', which as PA need to have something set as its currently available song really just means it pauses at the start of the current track. This happens as expected, but pressing 'Play' again just moves the playback cursor back to the last-played position in the song and it does nothing else until you change track.

Andre

On 12/10/2023 at 12:08 PM, andrewilley said:

Not a lot to go on there, are you saying that having updated to build 978 you cannot open Poweramp at all, so tapping on the app icon on your homescreen just goes straight back to the homescreen again? Do you see anything of Poweramp at all? What device and Android details?

Probably some specific setting is causing it to fail, perhaps an Android bug report log might help diagnose it? You can do that via Android Settings=>Developer Options=>Bug Report. The log will take a while to be generated, you'll see a Notification when it's done and you can share it to gpmaxmpz [at] gmail.com.

But if you uninstall and do a clean reinstall you will lose your existing settings, including things like ratings, download cover art, and internally created playlists, so unless that's OK for you, or you have a made a Settings Backup (always a good idea before installing a beta release of anything) I would hold back on doing that for now.

Andre

Had to uninstall and reinstall thanks 

12 hours ago, Cats GoMoo said:

No reshuffle large lists on.
Start a shuffled playlist or all songs or rated songs.
CHANGE the shuffled type. For me default is songs/categories. In this example I changed it to All.
Search for a song and click to add it. Instead of it playing the song it just goes back to the first song in the order.

I've tried this exact sequence several times, but still can't get this issue to occur. The newly tapped song starts playing exactly as expected, with the track counter showing the position in sequence as being the middle of an All Songs shuffle order - as expected because the No Shuffle mode is on so starting a new song didn't trigger a reshuffle. If I turn the No Shuffle option off, the only difference is that the newly tapped song now shows as song 1/xxxx (i.e. start of a new shuffle sequence).

There must be some setting that is conflicting for some users. If you can reliably reproduce this issue, please could you send a log immediately after you've gone through the process above. Use Settings=>Get Support=>Send Log=> email it to gpmaxmpz [at] gmail.com , and leave a message here to say it's been sent.

Andre

12 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I've tried this exact sequence several times, but still can't get this issue to occur.  ...... 

I get it when I have 'shuffle all songs' selected. If so and I select from the 'artists' list another song, PA reverts to the first one played in the 'shuffle all songs' list. This happens ad infinitum. If I turn all 'shuffles' off I can select what I want. Does this happen for you?

Dave

Edited by dvhttn

@dvhttn I wish I knew what was causing this for a number of people, I can't get it to happen at all.

I've tried with one, both or neither of the two 'No Reshuffle' options enabled, but whichever I try it seems to work as expected each time.

• Start a song playing from any Category. I guess it shouldn't matter which, but I've tried from Folders, the All Songs list, Artist>Album, etc.
  • Enable the 'Shuffle All Songs' mode in the Player Screen. Track counter shows the position in list as 1/9100, meaning this is the first song out of my entire collection of 9100 songs.
  • Press >> a few times and I hear random songs, with the track counter going up to 2/9100, 3/9100, 4/9100, etc.
  • Go back to the Library view and drill down into another Category, and tap on a new song.
  • That song starts playing, and the track counter in the Player Screen indicates where within the overall random song sequence playback has now been repositioned to - e.g. 3234/9100. (Note: with the 'No Reshuffle' mode turned Off, the playback position goes back to the start again at 1/9100, which is as expected)
  • Press >> a few more times and I hear more random songs, with the track counter going up one position each time.

There must the something in common in the settings of the people who are experiencing this, but I can't reproduce it here (testing on Samsung Galaxy A54, Android 14, music in one master folder on an SD Card using regular SAF storage access).

Andre

15 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I've tried this exact sequence several times, but still can't get this issue to occur. The newly tapped song starts playing exactly as expected, with the track counter showing the position in sequence as being the middle of an All Songs shuffle order - as expected because the No Shuffle mode is on so starting a new song didn't trigger a reshuffle. If I turn the No Shuffle option off, the only difference is that the newly tapped song now shows as song 1/xxxx (i.e. start of a new shuffle sequence).

There must be some setting that is conflicting for some users. If you can reliably reproduce this issue, please could you send a log immediately after you've gone through the process above. Use Settings=>Get Support=>Send Log=> email it to gpmaxmpz [at] gmail.com , and leave a message here to say it's been sent.

Andre

sent the email to the requested email just now. Was able to easily reproduce the bug.

9 hours ago, andrewilley said:

@dvhttn I wish I knew what was causing this for a number of people, I can't get it to happen at all.

There must the something in common in the settings of the people who are experiencing this, but I can't reproduce it here (testing on Samsung Galaxy A54, Android 14, music in one master folder on an SD Card using regular SAF storage access).

Basically the same as me, but A13 and Note 20 Ultra and just under 14K tracks. BUT ....  just played about and turned OFF 'No Reshuffle For Large Lists' and things now appear to work as before. Why would they change between versions ...? Has this setting just been added?

1 hour ago, dvhttn said:

Has this setting just been added?

Yes, "No Reshuffle for Large Lists" is a new feature in build 978, which is enabled by default. The other "No Reshuffle" option has been around for a while though.

This clearly seems to be triggering this problem in combination with some other setting which is presumably different between our two setups. Hopefully a log file will help Max determine what's causing it so it can be fixed for the next beta build.

Andre

Hi, I don't know how economically viable this is for you, but instead of multiple smaller in-app purchases I would strongly prefer another paid app that's like the full version unlocker, but for the feature packs and ideally it should be expensive enough to be a one time purchase that covers all upcoming feature packs or at least all upcoming feature packs up to a certain date or version number.

My reasons are the following:

1. I can't do in app purchases, because I use microg. I can pay for apps though and the verification works too.

2. I don't ever want to be nagged by an app to buy new features. I'd rather do it once and be done with it. 

Also, you're going to have to rename the full version unlocker, since it no longer unlocks the full version.

Edit: also, can you clarify which of the features proposed in the list we can vote for will be paid additions? I don't think it's practical to have "Simplify confusing wording of the Repeat Icon" be a paid feature, so I have to assume that some of these features are going to be free updates. 

@LPW00 that's not possible on Play due to Repetitive Content Policy.

Spoiler

Also, "multiple smaller in-app purchases" are not planned, it's called Feature Pack as it combines ~6m of updates in single cheap in-app.

The new Full Version Unlocker purchase includes all the prior packs, so no need to rename anything.

If you purchased it already, often many years ago, you can continue to use your Full Version Poweramp - no any previously available feature or option is locked or removed for you. You will continue to get some of new features and fixes as well. But some new (usually requested by users) features will be in the paid Feature Packages.

There is an official "no-google-services" Poweramp purchase via Poweramp website. As microtransaction is not possible for this kind of distribution due to high minimal transaction fee, it will continue to include everything though price is higher this way.

@Cats GoMoo this is for large lists (10k+) songs. Reshuffling this makes little sense as you can't play all of the songs in one shuffle session anyway. Anyway this feature is further optimized a bit for the next beta and the limit is set to 20k+ songs (mid to higher end phones).

On 12/11/2023 at 4:21 AM, CrimsonSky said:

@maxmp @CrimsonSky  I've got a massive library of FLAC files that I want to convert to XHE AAC, but I'm a bit hesitant now. It seems like Poweramp isn't reading the replay gain tags. (By the way, I know Poweramp uses the default Android decoder for playing xhe aac files, but my question is similar to the one above: if it shows artwork and other tags perfectly, why isn't it displaying replay gain tags?) Is this a bug or lack of support at the moment. Will it possibly support this feature in the future? Thank You 🙏

Edited by SachinSachi
I wanted to be a bit clearer about the problem.

1 hour ago, maxmp said:

this is for large lists (10k+) songs. 

I wonder if that limit is why I'm not finding any difference on my device (9100 files) - and also perhaps why only some people are experiencing the incorrect song playback bug when tapping on a new song? Both @dvhttn and @Fuchs have said their collections are over 10,000 songs, what about you @Cats GoMoo ?

Andre

38 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

I wonder if that limit is why I'm not finding any difference on my device (9100 files) - and also perhaps why only some people are experiencing the incorrect song playback bug when tapping on a new song? Both @dvhttn and @Fuchs have said their collections are over 10,000 songs, what about you @Cats GoMoo ?

Andre

Good spot, Andre. I created a new collection with way fewer songs and so far wasn't able to reproduce my "can't select song from the library" issue (couldn't spend more than 10 minutes testing, mind, so it might still happen). Maybe something for @maxmp to be poked about as well.

Should be easy enough to mock to reproduce then, just create a huge collection (I have about 11k songs on my device) and that might do the trick!

1 hour ago, Fuchs said:

Should be easy enough to mock to reproduce then, just create a huge collection (I have about 11k songs on my device) and that might do the trick!

I just did that and at first could not replicate the bug with 10,500 songs.

However after a bit more testing it only seems to show up when listening to a large library in 'Shuffle All' mode, with the original 'No Reshuffle' option turned OFF and the new 'No Reshuffle for Large Lists' turned ON.

Hopefully Max can track it down with that info now.

Andre