Setting resets after each update / Max volume after changing options

fr0stsilver
Go to solution Solved by maxmp,

Advanced Tweaks -> Volume Levels resets after each update. 

Also, changing that option will likely cause temporary max volume, blow my ears up. 

Otherwise works well :)

App ver: build-973-bundle-play
Model: Xiaomi 12S Ultra
Android ver: 13
MIUI ver: 14.0.3 stable 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, andrewilley said:

The Volume Levels feature is not guaranteed to work on all devices/ROMs, see the followup notes in the Settings=>Audio=>Advanced Tweaks page. I would suggest turning it off (set it to System Default) if it is causing you problems.

Andre

I need to mention the volume bug only happens when the music is playing and at the same time enabling custom volume levels. 

As you said the culprit is probably MIUI's smoothing effect when adjusting system volume. (Probably because Poweramp started playing sound before the smoothing effect finishes, meaning the volume stayed high for a sec.) 

Would you please make Poweramp to pause the music for a sec when enabling this option? Also, I frequently change this setting because of the other bug: This setting resets after each update of Poweramp. 

Ah, so this is not a regular recurring issue that occurs during normal listening, it only happens if you try to adjust the setting while you are currently playing something. That doesn't surprise me. Just remember to pause it before changing the setting (it's a one-off adjustment, so you shouldn't need to revisit it again).

Andre

@fr0stsilver on MIUI firmwares you usually already have like 64 to 150+ volume levels by default and Poweramp supports this (as System default option). I will try to reproduce issue with the volume spike you're experiencing, if I'm able to reproduce (I follow the policy of testing only on MIUI stable OTA ROMs, as any other their ROM variants are usually filled with bugs which should not be "fixed" from app side).

@andrewilley It is a regular recurring issue because I have to manually re-enable the setting each time when Poweramp is updated. It wasn't saved for some reason. 

On 8/27/2023 at 4:40 AM, maxmp said:

on MIUI firmwares you usually already have like 64 to 150+ volume levels by default

@maxmp Yes that's true, but it's too many for me, so that's why I set Custom Volume Levels to 30. Also, I believe this bug can be easily workaround by pausing the music for a moment when enabling this option.

p.s. I've got my exported settings attached here. (Remember Custom Volume Level is likely not saved due to the update bug I've talked about.)

Aug-29--2023-14-39-11.poweramp-settings

11 hours ago, maxmp said:

@fr0stsilver update may change some options to defaults on some devices if it's known that:

- option won't work properly on those firmwares/device
- options may not make sense anymore
- option is changed a lot.

That makes sense. Though, it's an option that I still use a lot. I wish I could use it until it doesn't work anymore... 

Also when enabling this option, is it possible to at least pause the music for a moment? That would make my ears much easier 😁

32 minutes ago, fr0stsilver said:

That makes sense. Though, it's an option that I still use a lot. I wish I could use it until it doesn't work anymore... 

Also when enabling this option, is it possible to at least pause the music for a moment? That would make my ears much easier 😁

Knowing this is something that is rather unique for your device and ROM, wouldn't it make more sense for you to pause the music and make the change on your side? Even if Max makes some workaround specific to this case, any ROM update there could break this and you will be back in the same boat.

The safe bet when making any kind of hardware change on an audio device is to always disconnect or remove your headphones first. Safe sound!

8 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Much more important I suspect would be to address why this option isn't sticking for the OP though, as it should be a one-and-done setting change.

It's probably because as max said: 

21 hours ago, maxmp said:

update may change some options to defaults on some devices if it's known that:

- option won't work properly on those firmwares/device
- options may not make sense anymore
- option is changed a lot.

Custom volume levels is a potentially non-working setting as the attached screenshot shows, so it could be reset to default when updating. 

However, I do wish the automatic reset removed so the feature becomes usable for everyone who's still using it. 

Screenshot_2023-08-30-13-16-24-034_com.maxmpz.audioplayer-edit.jpg

• Solution

I limited cases when Volume levels will be reset on update. This option is very limited on current (12+) Androids, and also it can interfere with Android Auto, and generally Google wants to forget this option existed due to the Sonos case and they break it all the time. But it works for some firmwares, so that's why it's there.