Chrome casting not working

Murph

Hi,

I'm having issues chrome casting Poweramp. I can chrome cast Spotify, Radioplayer just fine. It also works with VLC for local files on the cellphone. While using Poweramp I have the 2 following issues :

1) No Chromecast icon or

2) Chromecast icon is there, if I click on it to start chrome casting it seems to connect, song seems to play for 1-2 seconds without sound then stops.

I have never used chrome cast before, so I cannot say if it's a bug of a particular Poweramp version, android related, etc.

Poweramp build# 945

• Poweramp build#945
  • Devices Pixel 6a chrome casting to a Bose Smart Soundbar 900 (with built-in Chrome Cast) I can also reproduce with a PIxel 6
  • Android 13 (stock)

I'm trying to send a log after I connect to my speaker however the chrome casting logo is gone so not sure if the log is still relevent now, will send one if I'm able to connect later.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Mathieu Grenier I would add that Poweramp casting works differently vs Spotify or other streaming/network radio players, as Poweramp commands Chromecast to stream from your device, while Spotify and others command Chromecast to connect to some internet server. VLC can do both, local playback is similar to Poweramp, but Poweramp uses custom Chromecast player "page" which supports non-compressed/hi-res audio.

Basically this means:

• Chromecast should be able to connect to your device. Your #2 can be caused by connection issue
    • if you have separate network for IoT and devices, appropriate firewall rules should be allowed
    • if you have firewall set on the device, appropriate inbound connections should be enabled
  • Chromecast should be able to access https://cc.powerampapp.com

No Chromecast icon means Google Services do not detect Chromecast on the network (all the Chromecast devices discovery/detection/etc. happens in Google Services). Or it's just disabled in Poweramp ("Chromecast Button" option).

Sorry I'm not sure I understand, I have limited chrome cast / networking knowledge.

Regarding connection issue, your saying that it's normal for VLC to access my local files while Poweramp is unable to chrome cast at all? (No chromecast Icon)? Both my apps are opened, VLC sees the chrome cast device, Poweramp doesn't. This would be because of the way VLC chrome casts? If so wouldn't the firewall rules apply to VLC as well?

My network setup is a pair of Asus Zenwifi XD6. My 2.4 & 5Ghz band have the same SSID. Not sure I understand the firewall rules part either. Both my devices have a static IP reserved in my router.

I'm also having issues with CC recently. Skipping to another place in tracks, it tends to do that after many seconds. 

Longpress play button makes a full stop and background wave disappears. If then I click Play, it does not start. Usually need to click play a second time.

Upon play, it does not play the first ~0.5s. Cc output does not apply fading, so it should. 

Hi all,

Just found something out. Tried to stream local media from my pc to chromecast without succes. I didn't notice I had my VPN's firewall active. I just closed it, now I can stream from my PC to my chromecast device. Will try to look if something in Android phone is acting as a firewall...

Any clues anyone?

@Murph thanks for the log, nothing wrong from Poweramp side of view (this is only Poweramp log, the complete developer options "Full Log" may contain more data, but please send that to gpmaxmpz@gmail.com if you do it).

It's quite hard to diagnose based on other app, but is VLC plays your local phone media on Chromecast, then most probably phone to Chromecast connection is OK, and there is a problem with accessing https://cc.powerampapp.com from your Chromecast device.

Thanks!

Where can I get this developer options <<full log>>. Is it within Poweramp?

So if I understand correctly the chromecast device must be able to access https://cc.powerampapp.com. How can I make the device connect to that page? Is there a router parameter or else I can modify to change that? My computer and cellphone can access that website (I assume it' normal to only see Poweramp logo).

7 hours ago, Murph said:

Where can I get this developer options <<full log>>. Is it within Poweramp?

No, as Max said above, Poweramp's log isn't showing anything wrong so you need to get a log of what's going on in Android.

First, if you don't see Developer Options at the bottom of your Android Settings menu, there's a magic sequence to activate the feature: Android Settings=>About Phone/Device=>Software Information=>tap on 'Build Number' seven times.

Go through the normal listening process of getting the error to occur, and then go to Android Settings=>Developer Options=>Bug Report, select 'Full Report', and tap Report. You won't see anything immediately but a detailed report will be generated in the background which may take several minutes. Once it's done you'll get a Notification which you can use to send the log to gpmaxmpz@gmail.com. If the log file is too big for your email software (detailed logs tend to be tens of megabytes) you could instead upload it to somewhere like Dropbox or Google Drive and sent Max a share link to it.

Once sent, it's helpful to post a note here and/or direct message @maxmp letting him know the email address that you sent if from so he can watch out for it specifically.

Andre

@Murph thanks for the log.

I analyzed about 2k entries related to Poweramp in the log and there are few errors:

02-16 19:38:32.463 10143  2428 28974 I CastService: [instance-46] [com.maxmpz.audioplayer] onConnectionFailed: status = Cast socket status code 2283

2283 is undocumented, google search finds just that (related to Cast too)
https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Speakers-and-Displays/Google-Hub-2-Trying-to-add-a-device-with-voice-match-but-app-reports-quot/m-p/196553

Most probably your Chromecast device can't connect to the phone. This is usually due to the network settings/firewall settings.

Spoiler

My comments/questions/recommendations:
- do you see Poweramp UI on your Chromecast screen (if it's with the screen)? If yes, this means Chromecast device is able to access cc.powerampapp.com, otherwise the
problem may lay in the access to https://cc.powerampapp.com

- your log is from Feb-16, is your phone date correct? Invalid date/time will cause secure connections to fail

- when you're connected to your Wifi, is it the same network as used for Chromecast?

- when you're connected to your Wifi, go to the device settings / Network & internet / Internet / your wifi / and ensure network usage is not "Treat as metered"

- may be try to disable "Adaptive connectivity" - at least for a test

Hi,

1) My device is a chromecast audio only device. I tried connecting it to my TV with the built-in HDMI port but the only image I get is the bose music logo.

2) My date & time are correct on router / cellphone

3) I tried network usage unmetered without success.

4) I also tried disabling adaptive connectivity without success.

I did notice today that if I scroll down my android menu to find the casting option and start it, it makes the casting icon appear in Poweramp (because sometimes the casting icon doesn't appear immediately when I open Poweramp). I can then play music from Poweramp, but not from the casting icon in Poweramp, the android one... not sure if this affects quality somehow.

@maxmp I suspect he meant an option to avoid using cc.powerampapp.com and use whatever default Google method that VLC/etc use (which as I understand it, does display a Chromecast option when PA does not). I don't fully understand the technical  requirements, but I assume that doing so would limit the ability to use things like uncompressed audio. 

Andre

Yes, I agree the current method is by far the better quality option as long as it works. But some users do seem to be experiencing issues were VLC/etc manages to allow Chromecasting (even if it's compressed) when PA doesn't even offer the option, making the quality comparison something of a moot point.

Andre

@andrewilley if I get this right:

I did notice today that if I scroll down my android menu to find the casting option and start it, it makes the casting icon appear in Poweramp (because sometimes the casting icon doesn't appear immediately when I open Poweramp). I can then play music from Poweramp, but not from the casting icon in Poweramp, the android one... not sure if this affects quality somehow.

it actually works, I just need to decipher the part regarding the "Android menu" to understand that better. And if there is https connection issue (e.g. when date is off) it won't work for any source from internet, so this is not the case for the given user.

3 hours ago, maxmp said:

@andrewilley if you want to transcode all your casted music to mp3, yes I guess it's possible, but I don't think our users want this. Also cc.powerampapp.com is not an issue. From the user logs there is connection issue within chromecast libraries (==google play services).

@maxmp Is it possible to allow users a settings option for Chromecast between using the current preferred method with direct access for premium audio, or this alternative "transcoding" method that may improve stability for users while sacrificing fidelity? While I don't use CC myself that often, it does seem to be an ongoing concern for many others. IMO I believe in most cases the CC connected speakers aren't typically all that focused on audio quality, they are more about convenience.

Sorry for the delay, I've been away.

Regarding the android menu, I'm refering to the screen casting option in the general android menu (see attached picture).

Let me start over. If I reboot my phone and open Poweramp, I have no chromecasting icon in Poweramp.

If I open my android menu, enable the screen casting option (see attached picture), the chromecasting icon appears in Poweramp.

With the screen casting option enabled in the android menu, I can play music from whatever app is open on my phone to the chromecast device (Including Poweramp).

If I disable the screen casting option from android menu, then go back to Poweramp, Chromecasting icon of the Poweramp app is there but it doesn't work.

For whatever reason the step described above is not required by VLC to access local music on phone. I immediately see / can chromecast after a reboot.

As mentionned above by Andre and Motley G, I would much prefer having the higher quality audio to chromecast. However I would prefer having transcoded quality from Poweramp then nothing at all, hence my request for an option to default back to the standard way to chromecast.

Thank you for all the help you are providing me to solve the issue

Screenshot_20230302-133339.png

Edited by Murph
clarify details

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/27/2023 at 11:48 PM, maxmp said:

@andrewilley if I get this right:

it actually works, I just need to decipher the part regarding the "Android menu" to understand that better. And if there is https connection issue (e.g. when date is off) it won't work for any source from internet, so this is not the case for the given user.

It's 💯 a Google issue at this point and is completely sporadic and most likely due to Play services updates or something of the sword on over the phone and or the Chromecast device in question although the audio only Chromecast built into Hi-Fi equipment I wouldn't imagine gets many upgrades not like a full-fledged Chromecast with Google TV and same with even the older style Chromecast that didn't have an interface only whatever the phone sent it so maybe it is a Play services problem or something of the like that Google updates somewhat frequently causing it to work then break then work then break repeat super infuriating and as the developer probably not much you can do about it except for maybe implement the lower quality interface fullback option the default sorta matically when Chromecast can't connect to that web interface proxy or whatever the case maybe I don't have full understanding of it either but I do understand a little. There was a time when if I reset everything to default in Poweramp that would sometimes make it work or uninstall and reinstall it changing nothing else or even a factory reset of my phone it would work for a period of time then suddenly stop for no reason leaving me to believe that perhaps some background update happen from Google breaking things. I'm no developer so I wouldn't begin to tell you how to do your job I love Poweramp it is an amazing piece of software but I do find it might go to even when casting at home over and above anything else even low VLC works everytime I don't like it the interface is crappy and not very easy to use also it's super laggy like it reload your entire library every time you open it it may be worth considering the other option mentioned by people if there is enough interest perhaps do a poll. I know I'd vote yes even though I do like high and lossless audio I can go without for the convenience. If I was that worried id probably be using a wired connection with high end dac in between it and my stereo system! 😉 

• 2 months later...

I have had the exact same problem with my Note 10 and my s23 ultra phones whatever Power Amp is doing to cast has not worked on any device that I've installed it I cannot Chromecast to anything It prepares to be chromecasting when I change the volume on my Chromecast volume noise happens as if the phone is controlling the Chromecast there is no music coming out of any of my speakers this is a power amp issue and it did not happen when I first installed power amp 3 or 4 years ago. It appears like you have not debugged your software could one of you install it on an s23 Ultra or any Samsung device and see if you can get your power amp software to Chromecast because I don't think you'll be able to thank you