Poweramp and wireless Android Auto

Wolksby

Hi,

My car has Android Auto installed, which I access via my Samsung S22 Ultra phone wirelessly - I can use a cable connection, but this is far less convenient, and the wireless mode works perfectly.

My music player on my phone is Poweramp, which is an app which Android Auto fully supports, and the integration works really well.

However, just recently, I have experienced the following somewhat annoying issue:

Android Auto on my car had always connected to my phone within a few seconds of me getting into the car and switching on the ignition/start. This would be confirmed on the car's screen by the Android Auto icon, which would allow me access to the app, and all its possibilities, including the music player, which, in my case is Poweramp.

Now, however, the initial connection between phone and car initially cause Poweramp to start playing briefly on my phone, but not through the car's stereo system. It lasts just a few seconds, but is at quite a high volume. Once the link between car and phone is properly established, things return to normal!

Of course, Android Auto, has its own internal settings, which include start-up etc, but I have aimed to set everything to stop it playing music until I select this.

Poweramp does mention Android Auto in its settings, and again I have tried to switch anything off which might cause this to happen, but I just can't seem to find the right option to deselect, among Poweramp's settings!

Android Auto utilizes both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to work, and I believe that for the majority of things, Bluetooth suffices, but to play back music with sufficient bandwidth to achieve the highest possible quality, Wi-Fi is the required medium

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Not life-threatening, but just a tad annoying! 

The audio content generally goes via Bluetooth, I think the wired (or in your case, I believe wireless connected via a dongle?) is only used for AA screen update info, etc. It sounds like BT is connecting before the full AA link via the USB port / dongle has established. Does the same happen if you use a normal wired USB connection, with the wi-fi connection turned off?

You could try different output methods for BT (assuming the audio is actually going via BT, Audio Info could tell you that) and also PA Settings=>Audio=>Advanced Tweaks=>Force Speaker Off (which is mainly aimed at High-Res Output, but might help)

Andre

• 1 year later...

I have a follow up question of sorts regarding connectivity with Android Auto and Poweramp. I have a 2024 Subaru Outlook that connects  to Android Auto wirelessly via bluetooth and I see that Poweramp outputs the audio through speaker instead of bluetooth. I would've thought it would default to bluetooth. Is there anyway I can force connectivity through BT in the app? I have a Samsung Note 20 Ultra which has no problem connecting via bluetooth to several other devices.

Forgot to add I'm on the beta builds 978-981

Edited by XanaduBananadu

I have selected Hi-Res Output and it defaults to Speaker as Active selection instead of Bluetooth is what I meant to say, not stereo. If I disable Speaker in the Hi-Res output it picks OpenSL ES output which I'm assuming is the default, and in there too it defaults to Speaker instead of Bluetooth. So far what all I've tried it never picks Bluetooth in any of the Audio Outputs, it's always Speaker as active.

That's what I found strange since I'm connecting to Android Auto through Bluetooth.

7 minutes ago, XanaduBananadu said:

I have selected Hi-Res Output and it defaults to Speaker as Active selection instead of Bluetooth is what I meant to say, not stereo. If I disable Speaker in the Hi-Res output it picks OpenSL ES output which I'm assuming is the default, and in there too it defaults to Speaker instead of Bluetooth. So far what all I've tried it never picks Bluetooth in any of the Audio Outputs, it's always Speaker as active.

That's what I found strange since I'm connecting to Android Auto through Bluetooth.

Generally with wireless Android Auto, the Bluetooth connection is temporary. It lets the device connect to the car stereo briefly, then a true wireless connection is established to allow a better UI experience and with audio better than standard Bluetooth is capable of. This can differ BT car and your device capabilities though.

Interesting, so you're saying once you wirelessly connect through BT with Android Auto it then goes to a wireless connection? what kind of connection is that though? I would've assumed it's BT throughout. or am I misunderstanding you saying that it connects to a different type of BT?

What does the end section of Audio Info show (screenshot ideally).

If you are having specific device connectivity issues, it'd be best not to use experimental features like Hi-Res Output. Set the Outputs menu back to defaults. If that works you could then try AAudio or AudioTrack which may also allow higher resolution settings. But honestly, in a car what's the point anyway? You'll never hear any observable difference with the engine and road/wind noise around you.

Andre

@Wolksby @andrewilley from Poweramp point of view, there are no wireless, BT, USB, or wired connections. There is just single audio "sink" (native AudioTrack API or AAudio) which is used (except Chromecast output, which is non managed by the system).

Android routes audio signal internally as it seems fit, this routing is hidden from the app, and it's even hard to get the actual output info and its features, as routing info is often buggy, spreaded over a few different APIs, and/or very firmware/Android dependent (though, it's now better on the recent Androids). Poweramp has no permissions to change audio route - this is system level/root only permission. There are few hacks which can be used to e.g. force switch speaker off (Force Speaker Off for Hi-Res Output option), but nothing more.

On the recent Androids and on Samsung firmwares the routing can be changed via the media notification:

1.jpg

Also, Android Auto UI and audio is rendered on the phone and then compressed either to video + bt audio or to video + audio in one stream. Audio is usually lossy re-compressed in both cases, though there is no public documentation/specification on this and it may vary across devices/firmwares/headunits.

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

What does the end section of Audio Info show (screenshot ideally).

If you are having specific device connectivity issues, it'd be best not to use experimental features like Hi-Res Output. Set the Outputs menu back to defaults. If that works you could then try AAudio or AudioTrack which may also allow higher resolution settings. But honestly, in a car what's the point anyway? You'll never hear any observable difference with the engine and road/wind noise around you.

Andre

Thank you for the replies everyone!

I will take a screenshot sometime today and upload. I'm not having connectivity issues I was more curious than anything. 

I messed with Android Auto and Poweramp today a little and what I found was if you click on Android Auto and play Poweramp it defaults to speaker connection. However I can use Chromecast for YouTube Music in AA. I can't seem to use Chromecasting for Poweramp in AA. But if I get out of Android Auto and use the media source connection on the car panel and select bluetooth, it switches to BT on the Hi-Res Output and plays Poweramp using that which IMO sounds so much better than the Speaker. 

When I connect with AA I dont get an option to select Media output in PA. It's kinda weird and quirky but I guess it's fine. If I want decent sound (better than speaker) I can play through BT in Hi-Res output.

Thanks again for everyone's input. 

Whether it's an Android Auto or a Bluetooth connection, the audio in the car is the SBC codec. I don't know why car makers are doing such a crazy thing, but in reality, we have to connect a good Bluetooth codec to the AUX terminal to get a good sound quality. I bought a Bluetooth receiver that supports the LDAC codec and am listening to the 32-bit 96khz sound. Smartphones that came out after Samsung Galaxy s20 support LDAC.