Is there an option to keep all songs by the artist under that artist's name in the Library?

Joessics

Hello! Sorry if my title was unclear so I will try and explain better here. I recently purchased Poweramp Unlocker for my Samsung Galaxy note 20 ultra 5g. After years of using Spotify on my old iPhone I finally wanted to make the switch to a local music player. So here's my question: Inside of Poweramp's Artist list I have the same artist show up about 10-15 songs because the songs have features on them. For example I downloaded all of A$AP Ferg's album Still Striving which has a lot of songs with features. Instead of listing all the songs inside of A$AP Ferg's name it lists about 10-15 different "artists" titled A$AP Ferg;(Other artist name). Is there a setting I can change to have all these files go straight into a singular artist name? If not would changing the tags of the files fix this? (Looking for whatever is easier). Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Fitzian said:

Adding a unified Album Artist tag to songs of such albums will fix this issue, (along with enabling relevant Album Artist tag sorting options in Poweramp). 

For the first part of your reply you mention adding a tag. Would I do that to all the corresponding MP3 files?

Looks like you need to enable the 'Split Multiple Artists' feature. This will allow Poweramp to treat the semicolon within the Artist's name information as a separator - so instead of seeing lots of entries like "A$AP Ferg ; Artist B", "A$AP Ferg ; Artist C" and "A$AP Ferg ; Artist D", etc you would see individual named entries in the Artist list for "A$AP Ferg", "Artist B", "Artist C" and "Artist D". You can set as many separator symbols as you want to encompass your whole music collection - even including full terms such as "feat.", "ft.", etc.

Go into PA Settings > Library > Scanner > 'Symbols to Split Multiple Artists', then tap 'Add' to create each separator, and 'Save' when you're done. This is my current list, which works for my music collection:

image.png

PA will then have to rescan your Library using the new separators to create multiple artist names. You may need to fiddle around with you choice of separators initially, and maybe even edit an odd music file if some tags are ambiguous, until it is doing exactly what you want. I would suggest avoiding using either a comma or ampersand ("&") as they might create false splits for names like "Earth, Wind & Fire" etc.

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Looks like you need to enable the 'Split Multiple Artists' feature. This will allow Poweramp to treat the semicolon within the Artist's name information as a separator - so instead of seeing lots of entries like "A$AP Ferg ; Artist B", "A$AP Ferg ; Artist C" and "A$AP Ferg ; Artist D", etc you would see individual named entries in the Artist list for "A$AP Ferg", "Artist B", "Artist C" and "Artist D". You can set as many separator symbols as you want to encompass your whole music collection - even including full terms such as "feat.", "ft.", etc.

Go into PA Settings > Library > Scanner > 'Symbols to Split Multiple Artists', then tap 'Add' to create each separator, and 'Save' when you're done. This is my current list, which works for my music collection:

image.png

PA will then have to rescan your Library using the new separators to create multiple artist names. You may need to fiddle around with you choice of separators initially, and maybe even edit an odd music file if some tags are ambiguous, until it is doing exactly what you want. I would suggest avoiding using either a comma or ampersand ("&") as they might create false splits for names like "Earth, Wind & Fire" etc.

Andre

Awesome, I'll give this a try after work tomorrow. Thanks!

As long as your music is tagged reasonably consistently, the Split Multiple Artists feature works really well. It's not quite so good if you've got a lot of Artist names formatted (for example) as "Artist A and Artist B", because using "and" or "&" as a separator can mess up a lot of legitimate band names too.

Single files are easy to change in Poweramp using the Info/Tags > Edit Tags feature, but if you find you need to do a lot I'd suggest a session in a batch editor on a computer is the best solution. I use TagScanner, but MP3Tag is good too; load your whole collection into one of these, sort the list by the Artist tag, and then it's pretty easy to see what needs modifying.

Andre